The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » MagicArtifacts.com ?? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
FACT

Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, cocomax wrote:

After I left Outlaw Rick did in fact set out to copy all my designs and continue to sell them, without me. The plan was Dr X (MagicArtifacts.com) was to make copies of what Karl and myself supplied Outlaw in the past.

Yes, I do own my designs, however because I do not have a patent on the designs I can not use the law to protect my designs. Other builders can make copies of my designs and I am powerless to stop them.

doesn't sound like permission to me - Magic artifacts is selling straight copies, ripoffs of actual artists original creations, its clearly unethical and unoriginal.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you support rip offs you are the major problem. Rip offs don't exist if there's no buyers. Looking at the rip offs I have to say, the visual designs are an anemic bland version of the originals...
I've asked to be banned
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
So where does one draw the line between rip off and public domain? If Tim was "copying" something some else previously did and if Chris had Tim's ok (and as that is what I was reliably told, I have to accept that at face value until I hear to the contrary from Tim himself), then where is the rip off? Isn't it like the Rapping Hand? How many versions of that has been done? By how many people? And, Dopps is a fantastic product. But how many other book tests are out there? Where does one draw the line? And I am asking to know, not to be argumentative in any way.

Also, when something is no longer being made, and the original person who made it either no longer wants to make any more or can make any more, is it piracy for someone else to make a similar item? Hopefully we can discuss this somewhat rationally rather than people just calling me names or stepping all over my character. I do not support piracy. Never have. Based on what I knew, this was not piracy. If I was mistaken about this or anything which I thought was "ok," so to speak, and I was wrong, then I won't use it. But when someone or several just start attacking me and name calling, rather than wanting to discuss it in a reasonable manner I tend to fight back.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Lo Pan - was that TIM's original creation? Or was it someone else's?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2018, Winks wrote:
Lo Pan - was that TIM's original creation? Or was it someone else's?

What THAT are you talking about? You seem to be fixated just on the knocker. Again it is a pattern. there is more than one item. Hobbs box, key box, The Departed was hidden on his site..

WHO said Tim gave permission? Why didn't Tim acknowledge that in his posts here?

What do you mean not being made anymore? Tim isn't dead. Tim has a website. Tim still makes things.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2018, Winks wrote:

I do not support piracy. Never havs.

In this case you have supported and promoted piracy, there is nothing “similar” about these items. They are copies which were being made to keep a failing and corrupt business afloat. These products are nothing like the rapping hand or book test examples you site, Dopps is an altogether original concept and method, that’s what makes it such a beautiful, valuable, ORIGINAL improvement on the book test, no one in thief right mind would ever accuse Professor BC of being a rip off. Please put down the cool aid, take a moment, use empathy and look at it from the perspective of a artist, like Tim and Carl, seeing a web site selling their stuff must be like walking into Walmart and seeing it on the shelves. They are not getting rich off of their creations – just contributing original items to a small community and they are clearly entitled to the respect that means that their creations are theirs and not to be copied and sold by anyone.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I only bought the knocker. I don't know about the others. Some time back I asked if Tim was making any more of the knockers - I believe I asked Vic at ECSS - and I was told he was not. I had been ripped off by Roth - paying him at ECSS I for a knocker and then just having him skip with my money, so I wanted to replace it. Had Tim been making them again, I would have bought one from him. For less than I paid for this one. But he wasn't.

Chris himself told me he had Tim's ok to make the knocker. If that is a lie, then it becomes a while nother matter for me.
Pascal974
View Profile
New user
Ile de la Reunion
77 Posts

Profile of Pascal974
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
If Tim never made another of his door knockers again then that would be up to him and would add value to his original creations on the secondary market. It would not at any time be appropriate for someone else to start making and selling copies. If for example Timex stopped making a particular model watch which had been very popular and unique and original in design, then someone else started making a watch that looked and acted exactly like that original watch but maybe was Slightly different inside and sold them for even more then the original watch had cost then it would be a rip off, just another Chinese knock off so to speak.
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
289 Posts

Profile of cocomax
This is what a knock off looks like:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/gold......ted.html
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
You may go to my facebook page later for additional details as they keep getting deleted here. Facebook does not do that. No wonder people leave.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
235 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Yup, I’ve stopped posting any lengthy opinions as they’ll just get deleted.

Ridiculous
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2018, cocomax wrote:
This is what a knock off looks like:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/gold......ted.html

MIC DROP!!!
Smile Smile
justcookin
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of justcookin
Guys, this is one of the reasons why Dan started his LC-forum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » MagicArtifacts.com ?? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL