The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Iron filings (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
I want to make or buy some iron filings. Does anybody know where I can purchase them? Or where I can purchase some iron to file? Or what I should use to "file" it? I am clueless. Thank you-

Ben

OK, I found a place:

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=3620

By the way, that website is an awesome place to look for prop ideas.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Theater Effects is who I buy all of my pyro from.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
If you want to save shipping costs and live in the States then try looking at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. They sell lots of little stuff like that and I know that at least the ones around here carry something nearly identical to the item linked above.

Andy
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Sounds crazy but; If you go to a toy store you can still find a toy that resembles a man with a bald head. The idea is that you move the iron filings around with a pen magnet to give him hair/moustache etc. Just a thought. Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
Mr. Honesty: you are exactly right. They sell the item that Dano is talking about there. And I love Cracker Barrel food. (choice of 2, sometimes 3 sides)!!! Thanks guys!
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Ben: Where else can you get iron filings & breakfast at the same time?
Mmmmmmmmm-Donut Smile
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2002-09-25 17:19, Dano wrote:
Ben: Where else can you get iron filings & breakfast at the same time?

The breakroom at any large machine shop.... Smile
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Good point Dr. Amaze, but do you really want to eat there? It's a roll of the dice! Smile
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
You can buy IRON OXIDE powder (just rusty iron filings)....
and a LOT OF OTHER NEAT stuff at...

http://www.unitednuclear.com/chem.htm

Check it out.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
Ben- Depending on what you're wanting to use it for... you can get steel wool and tear it up into tiny pieces.
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Wow that's a great site!
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
By the way Ben, I heard of a guy that put some iron fillings in a TT. While at a restaurant, he faked dumping pepper onto the table (actually the fillings).. and proceeded with some interesting PK magic.
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
I was searching the archives and found this thread. Just wanted to mention: I bought an old Godzilla toy from who knows when at a thrift store. It was missing some pieces, and had some parts that I wanted. I opened up its legs and there I found two hot dog sized containers, both filled with iron filings. These were used to give the legs weight so the toy wouldn't fall over. Now I have more than I will ever need. If anyone is having trouble finding it, or wants just a small quantity, just let me know. Drop a PM or something. I don't frequent this side of the MC too much.
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Ben,
What are you using iron filings for..a magnetic effect? Weight? Pyrotechnics? There are different types, depending on your use. The ones sold through science supply houses are probably rather coarse and used for showing magnetic lines of force, or perhaps school chemical experiments. These are the type found in the toys described above in other posts. If you are using the iron for pyrotechnics (white-golden sparks) you would use a finer iron powder, it has been processed to remove oils so it will burn more rapidly. Sure, you can make your own, just file away on a big nail or other piece of iron. A power hack saw produces lots of iron filings as it cuts the metal!
Dave
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
There is also the old trick of taking a flat file to a few nails, a vise or other clamp comes in handy to hold things still!

Of course it all depends on how much you need when to buy vs make it yourself!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Try a brake repair shop.

Find a good one that will re-machine the rotors on your car. These machines produce a lot of iron filings. If you ask nicely they will let you take home a big bag for absolutely nothing.

You can also try different machine shops and fab shops.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Problem with brake rotors is if the locale still allows the use of brake pads containing asbestos <cough cough>
you will get this in the metal filings as well- I still say a flat file (I do not think I can use the usual name of Bast**d file)and a few nails is pretty cheap and fast!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
177 Posts

Profile of natswift
Hobby stores carry Iron filings. Inexpensive and easy. Visit your local hobby store. I got mine at Hobby Town USA.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
The cheapest place to get iron filings is at an auto brake shop. They use a lathe to resurface the brake drums/disks and usually have a bin full of filings that they throw away. Bring a container to put them into. I walked out with a gallon jug full, more than 30 years ago and still have plenty left. It cost me nothing.

You will probably want to sift the filings to separate the large filings from the powder that you seek, but the larger filings work very well in camp fires!
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Ebay
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Iron filings (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL