The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Though your sins be as scarlet... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I made my own HOT ROD out of some basswood and faux jewels purchased very cheaply from my local craft store.

Instead of multicolors, I have all red stones (from Isaiah, "Though your sins be as scarlet...") transform to all clear stones ("...they will be white as snow"). Many patter possibilities here.

The craft store also had marker-like pens that would stain the basswood into my choice of colors.

I used glue stick to attach the jewels.

After staining the wood, I brushed on some Future floor polish to shine it up and protect the wood from getting dirty. Perhaps there's something more permanent than Future.

Also, it was easy to find the right shape stick in basswood (balsa wood is way too soft). It comes in lengths from which you can make a few of these, if you wish.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Nice idea for a routine. You might want to consider using a better glue than glue stick (unless your talking about hot glue) to affix the jewels as it is water soluable and might loosen in humid weather or in a warm pocket. Some epoxy or gel superglue would be more permanent. As for finishing and protecting the wood a several applications of a good shellac works well. If you wish it to look old then use orange shellac as it gives a good faux age finish. Other than that there are several self finishing stains on the market that give a good durable finish and these are available from any good hardware store. You would probably want to finish the wood before applying the jewels.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Payne,

Thanks for the advice!

The reason I used the glue stick was for flexibility - once I put the jewels on the bar I need to be able to move them around a bit to put them exactly in the right place. I'm sure, however, that there are better alternatives than mine...it's just what I had.

Thanks again for the advice - particularly re: shellac.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Payne, Chessmann, that is a nice basis for a good routine.

And it's good to see a creative use of your HotRod making skills.

Good thinking!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
That's a great idea Chessmann, two ideas for you. A good glue for attaching anything to anything is called "Gorilla glue" It is a polyeurethane glue and therefore waterproof, (I don't know, in case you have to perform underwater sometime.) anyway, it won't let go, and the Wal-Marts around here have a very small bottle of it (not cheap though). Or, you can get "Barge Cement" also good for attaching anything to anything, at your local shoe repair shop.

Now for the finish of the wood, as Payne said Shellac is a great choice, and has been the standard for years, but it takes several coats. Another finish to consider is "satin polyeurethane", it leaves a nice hard finish usually in one coat. Whether you use the Shellac or Poly, make sure you read and follow the instructions on the drying times, I made a real mess of an otherwise very nice project because I was in a hurry.

I have been working on some ideas for Hotrods too. I had some nice wood scraps and am planning on making several, and was wondering if anyone else has some ideas for good variations.

I will definitely use your idea,

"Instead of multicolors, I have all red stones (from Isaiah, "Though your sins be as scarlet...") transform to all clear stones ("...they will be white as snow").

Chessmann if you don't mind.

Thanks
Steve
zzz

P.S. On the Gorilla glue, make sure you attach the top back on tight, or you may only get one use out of it. I squeeze as much air out of my bottle as possible then use a clamp to keep it out. (frugal is the word.)
me
z
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Though your sins be as scarlet... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL