The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The health of the blindfold routine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Storm Longstreet
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Storm Longstreet
My dad was a very famous Magician, his father was a very famous Magician, both of them taught me blindfold work when I was a very young girl. Actually it was for a school contest, I won hands down and recieved $25.00 first prize, that was when I was 5. Now, 24 years later I consider myself to be not too bad at it. I am also a magic performanc critic (having been taught proper performance technique from a young age)

Most of my engagements are private and it's the only thing I do. Enough of my history.

I visited a lot here before I decided to becaome a member, something I did notice is that not a lot of the performers here discuss the blindfold very much. I notice that nobody makes a feature with it, which is really sad. My performances are always well accepted, but what about you people ? How does it go for the rest of you ? Does anyone here make a feature act with the blindfold routine ?

Thanks.
Storm Longstreet
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Hey Storm Longstreet,

I devised a blindfold segment for my act awhile back. So far I am very satisfied with it as it works fantastically!

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Storm Longstreet
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

To Scott B.
That sounds wonderful. May I please ask if you use a metal blindfold or a cloth blindfold ?

Storm
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
What would ou consider the best resources or references for a strong blind fold act? Do you consider the "basic" blind fold and/or hood sufficient or do you like or prefer the metal blindfold by Mr. Richard Osterlind?

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Marc Salem closes his routine with a very strong blindfold/tape/coins routine. Smile
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-04-07 17:04, Storm Longstreet wrote:
To Scott B.
That sounds wonderful. May I please ask if you use a metal blindfold or a cloth blindfold ?

Storm

Definitely a cloth and the usual coins tape, etc., etc., etc.

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Storm Longstreet
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

I was instructed to make it as impossible as possible by both my Dad and Grand Dad. For the past 10 years I have used a solid metal head cage, covering the entire head and half of the neck. It's made of buffed copper and hinges at the top, once in place, it has flaps at the sides to cut off all light and closes at the neck as well. I took the design from a mid evil device of torture, liking the idea of the entire head covered. It was made by 3 different people so no one person would know it's secret.

I used a cloth bag a few times but found that too much trickery can be related to it and far too many were on the open market. To answer "Magicinsight" my only instruction was from my Dad and Grand Dad, no books ever.

Storm Longstreet
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Storm:

The head cage sounds righteous. Have you seen Osterlind's Stainless Steel Blindfold? It's quite good, though it doesn't resemble a torture device.

-Jim
Storm Longstreet
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Yes I have seen the Osterlind blindfold, it looks like a stop sign. No offence to Mr. Osterlind, please understand that.

Storm Longstreet
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Storm, what part of California do you work in, and do you ever visit the Castle?

On the topic, my ending multiphase routine has me wearing coins, lots of duct tape and two blindfolds: one cloth and one metal.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
How does the Osterling blindfold resemble a stop sign?

I am looking at one now (Osterlind BLindfold, not a stop sign..) and see only a highly polished metal blindfold, but nothing close to a stop sign.

Maybe I missed some symbolism there, or maybe Stop signs "there" look different? Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Storm Longstreet probably mean that the blindfold is very large!

But, to be honest this is exactly why I use it for almost 10 years now! In my routine, where a try to divine by "Man Intuition" 2 drawing made from the audience!

I always cover the special look of the props by introducing it, like this "It's a mask that Doctor use when making X-ray on you. Yes they place a mask on their face to protect them, because it is possible to have cancer with X-ray... They Never told you that part!

Why you think they have special equipment? Yes, they are puting metal protector mask like this one, then they wear some metal jacket padding to cover the body and also they always hide themself behind a wall!... And you! They only gave you a funny paper jacket...with some air conditionner in the back!"

But I agree that the mask is far from looking innocent! I guest it is a matter of style... I love the props for is theatrical value. On stage it look great! I like to say "Cool! Now, I look like Robocop!"

Also, I can't imagine this big metal mask on your face! ;-)

Humbly

Kuffs

MIND STUNTS 2 & MIND STUNTS "special edition" ...are coming soon!
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Kuffs,
I love your patter ideas.
Thanks for sharing.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Thanks to you for reading!

By the way my complete blindfold routine using Osterlind mask. Will be included in MIND STUNTS "special edition" as a bonus. Complete Routine with patter and structure

OUps! sound like a plug...

Kuffs

MIND STUNTS 2 & MIND STUNTS "special edition" ...are coming soon!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I have had great response using cardboard followed by Ace bandage wrapped around head, then the black hood ..."To cut off all light that may come in to my eyes from the edges." I call it a 'hangman's hood'.

Mark
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
Storm is right about Osterlind blindfold: but any metal blindfold is going to look like a stop sign not just the Osterlind kind
Storm Longstreet
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

By a stop sign, I meant the size of it, nothing more. No disrespect to Mr. Osterlind from this girl.

Thanks
Storm
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Storm,
With all due respect.....
The Osterlind Blindfold is a "stopsign" but a "solid metal head cage" is just right?
No flame intended.
Ted (Leodno)
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I have Mr. Osterlind's steel blindfold and it is terrific. I also really like Storm's "Steel Head Cage." It is imaginative, impressive, theatrical, and totally beyond suspicion. Storm's head cage is theatrically dramatic especially when used in the Medieval context that she uses it in. Of course everyone has to do what fits his/her own character and personality. I do not think Mr. Osterlind could see himself in leather pants with a medieval style steel head cage on him. It is just a matter of personal taste and style. What really matters is that you entertain and mystify.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2005-04-08 11:22, magicinsight wrote: I do not think Mr. Osterlind could see himself in leather pants with a medieval style steel head cage on him.

Eep! THERE's a mental image I didn't need!

*jeep!
--Chet (Who will have nightmares tonight!)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The health of the blindfold routine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL