The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Hofsinzer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 02:19, Bill Palmer wrote:
...Part of the problems have to do with the translators, themselves. Of the people who have translated Hofzinser's material, Richard Hatch has done the most creditable job, because he has not only an excellent knowledge of German, he also has an excellent knowledge of English....

Totally agree. Anybody fluent in both German and English can confirm that Richard did a very good job.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The first Hofzinser expert I met was Persi Diaconis and he could, and did, much of the material.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
Bill7 did not specify which Hofzinser book (or both) - Kartenkunst (Card Magic) and Zauberkunst (Other Than Card Magic). Hofzinser was one of the first magi to use gimmicked cards (like double facers). He was ahead of his time. Granted Houdin was way ahead of his time. Even though the Hofzinser files might be tainted, we do owe a debt of gratitude to Fischer. We also are indebted to Christian for his diligent Hofzinser archeological finds and Richard Hatch's translation of Zauberkunst. When you think of Hofzinser, you think of a Romantic type of magic. One with charm and wonder. At one of the MCA Conventions Richard Hatch performed some effects, while his wife ( I think), a concert violinist, played. It was absolutely beautiful.

In 2003, I had a chance to spend a half a day in a "special" sitting room at the Library of Congress. After putting on cotton gloves, I had the opportunity to play with the Hofzinser magic equipment. I did not get to play with the Any Card Called for Card Rise. It was on display, not far from the Gutenberg Bible, in the public part of the Library. What an experience it was to handle the Hofzinser pieces.

Garry Hayes
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually the books are called Kartenkünste (card tricks) and Zauberkünste (magic tricks). The "magic tricks" do actually include one card trick, that is the Card Automaton.

The most difficult part of performing any of Hofzinser's material the way he performed it has to do with two factors that have changed very radically since the material was first written. One is that Hofzinser often used poetic patter. Trying to translate German poetry into rhymed English that doesn't sound odd is not easy at all. The other is the pace of the work. Modern audiences generally will not tolerate slower-moving presentations.

As an aside, I recently saw Robert Olson do his Richard Potter act. He may have paced it a bit faster than Potter would have done. In any case, it worked well for a modern audience.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
The third and last volume of Magic Christian's excellent Hofzinser trilogy "Non Plus Ultra" is apparently going to be published later this year.
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Apologize. What news about translating of "Non Plus Ultra"? 2009 - finished...
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think that is still "under construction."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Hope these English translations come out soon, what's your beef with Giobbi Bill?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re-reading the thread - it's been years and perhaps later this year we'll see some of the books in new and expanded translations that include more historical context, letters and information than was available before.

In the mean time I suggest folks get familiar with the available translations, especially Hatch's book which is available as legitimate a ebook. Some of the letters are suggestive about what the guy wanted to accomplish in magic and performance.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
Mr. Townsend,. It's always a joy to read the thoughts of someone so knowledgable. Thank you.

:bikes:
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 17:01, dan84 wrote:
Hope these English translations come out soon, what's your beef with Giobbi Bill?

It's not worth any more time than I have already spent on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Well said, Bill.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How are folks doing with the hofzinser books?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Dipping into vol 1 from time to time. It's mostly biography. So far, comprehensive, but not always compelling. Sort of like reading a Ph.d. dissertation. I'm trying to be good and not rush to vol. 2. Too many other magic things I'm trying out now, and I need to give them space.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

L*, the paperback card conjuring book was one of my first magic books. put side by side with expert card technique it was a shocking contrast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Hofsinzer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL