The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The magic of my first time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
What is a magic shop for you? Just the local prop hole? What was your first visit to a magic depot like? Do you you go often? Or are you like me where a trip to a shop is an event? I get to visit magic shops once a year when I go to London, I go to Davenports and International Magic. The trip is like a quest, and buying stuff is secondary, the grail is the shop itself. I always take a deep breath before I grasp the handle of the door and push.
I have been into magic since I was a child, my first visit to a magic shop was when I was 22 years old. It was like a dream. Things I had once only seen as pictures and words now sat on shelves all around me in full living reality.
And living breathing Magicians performing, talking, demonstrating and explaining. Holy anvil Batman! Magic is real!
All the kids thought I was going to be good because I was an adult, then they realised I didn't know anything that was invented later then 1989 and I didn't know the name of half the stuff I could do. So I spent my first visit in a magic shop being taught by (and fooled by!) three 12 year olds from bristol and enjoying the horror on the counter guys face when I pulled out my book list! Then I said "now...a few cards".
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I used to have a magic shop I visited once a week that was near where I worked. I would stop in every Thursday night after work. I always looked forward to it. I got to know the owner really well after many visits and we became good friends. He was a very good magician. Now it closed up.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Great story.

I guess I myself take magicshops for granted because ever since I have been doing magic I have been spoiled with two of the greatest magic shops in the united states.

Back when I used to live in los angeles I would go daily to hollywood magic in an attempt to try to fit in and learn from the people there. Wrong idea since the people there are only interested in pros and me as a beginner was not really THAT welcomed there. They thought I was some punk teenager out to buy expensive stuff just to reveal the secrets. I guess image does make the person I'ts pretty sad. I worked really hard to gather up my money and invest it in magic for them just to blow me off. the idea of a magic shop being helping just went out of my head.

Until recently

I moved here to las vegas and go to Denny and Lee's. Oh my god I don't know if it is that much of a difference that I am really educated in magic but these guys are the coolest around me. Their selection is sooooo amazing and ever since I walked in I got a good vibe. "is there anything at all I can help you, it would be my honor". Just that sentence made me realize this was one place that cared. They do care. So much it is transformed to a real magic shop. No dumb gimmicks and gaggs or worthless effects to rip off the beginners. They have all this knowledge and glad to share it. I just love it.

Hollywood magic is a sour memory and dennys is just incredible.Plus I get to go every time I want.

I guess magic shops for me mean lots of items ; sour and beautiful times.
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
I too have access to a magic shop. I visit it every Saturday and have became great friends with the owner. He is a great magician that does juggling and everything. I have also made friends with some of the local magicians that go there.

It is something to look forward to every week because I have such a good time there. I am also probably going to work there during the summer.
-Jamie
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I too like magic shops. Most of the time I visit Davenports in London (because I study here at the moment).

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I started hanging out a lot at my local magic shop here in Philadelphia. Before I knew it I was working there. The owner is Irv Furman, most famous for some of his great books for the beginner on magic. (Magic for the complete klutz and several others)

Irv saw some potential in me, and before I knew it I was an unofficial apprentice
to this master magician. He's taught me a great deal, as well as opening to me his
entire store and his extensive library of magic books, videos and dvd's.

We have a great relationship and its a great help to be able to ask endless questions to someone who actually cares about my development as an artist.

I'm building him a new website, and helping him to move to online sales, but I hope the actual shop never closes, because I love that place. I only work a few days a week in my spare time, but I look very forward to it every week.

REAL building magic shops are becoming rare, so if you have one nearby you, support it the best you can.

Steven
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I hope magic shops thrive for years to come, but I worry that the on-line discount stores will eventually lead to their demise. Sad because as you so eloquently pointed out there is more to a shop than a place to buy props.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Oh to visit a good magic shop!!!

Where I live there are no shops-nearest being Sydney,Australia!

I enjoy buying on the net but to visit a good shop & talk & chat to other Magicians who care about what they sell & helping you as a performer!!
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
When Morrissey Magic moved from Quebec to Toronto I started hanging out there when ever I could. I got to know Herb Morrissey very well.

I was out of work and he offered me a job and I took it. Working in a magic shop was the best job I ever had. I had so much fun because the customers had the same interests so all you talked about was magic. That was 1979. Time goes so fast.

Now living in the Niagara area there are no shops here so every so often I go down to Morrissey's and talk to Dan Morrissey, Herbs son. Dan has taken over the store.

On June 4th Morrissey's is having there annual anniversary party and should be a great time.
I know I will be there.

:magicrabbit:
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
Iv never ever been Smile but I would really love to, does anyone know if there are any in Bristol? or close by, I see you mentioned kids from bristol in your post Smile so maybe there is!

Thanx!

Tom
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
I think that's why they go to Davenports... Smile
I live in Ireland and so far I don't think there is a single magic shop in the entire country! Actually if anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
And I must say that I have huge respect for shop demonstrators, that must be demanding on anybodys performance skills.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
seandixie
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of seandixie
Onezero1, not sure of the practicalities but the http://www.magicbox.co.uk has a working shop up in Newcastle somewhere. If their online service is anything to go by they should be excellent!
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Ummmm. That link took me to a web hosting service. Also Newcastle is in England no? Hey, maybe theres a niche in Ireland for magic shops! (sound of gears turning).
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
There are a lot of magic shop in my country, but unfortunately many of them didn't sell original product...even though some magic shop sell original product, the price is extremely expensive. they sell regular bicycle deck for $8 each, and when I ask about NFW they sell it for $20
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
Eight dollars for a Bicycle deck? Are you sure it's not a stripper deck or anything?

If you are looking for a magic shop get a phonebook of your area and search through it.

I can't wait to get that job...
-Jamie
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Sigh, I love the Brick and Motar shops far better than shopping online. The comeraderie that exist from the regulars visiting, the ability to view the props firsthand, the assistance of the shop owner once the purchase was made.. all that comes into play into the fun of visiting it. I also worked for a time in my local magic shop and enjoyed it a lot. Sadly it closed it's doors a few years ago. Although there does exist two stores which have limited magic items..I miss the former shop.
I'd advise anyone to visit your local shop in person should you get the chance!

Chrystal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The magic of my first time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL