The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Roberto Giobbi Lecture DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I recently bouught this DVD and felt somewhat disappointed. I'm a BIG fan of Card College, but this left me cold.

The tricks were OK, but the explanations were tedious. I know he was trying to delve deeply into psychology of the various moves and structure but I felt like I learned very little.

Any contrary opinion.

Lster.....
Steve
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I am one of the guys assisting him out front
on the DVD. All I can say is that I have seen many magicians and I felt that he was one of the better ones. No, he is no Tommy Wonder or Tamariz. But certainly a good performer. A lot of the performers attending the symposium at which this was filmed are Pro/ Semi-pro and are interested in more than just the tricks. I found a lot of the useful theories and ideas on routine constructions as interesting as the effects in the lecture.
Phillip
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

I personally loved it, plus Mr Giobbi is very friendly. Not only does he teach the tricks and techniques, but also some psychological concepts and theory on which the tricks or sleights are based, and you can use them afterwards for other sleights or tricks(something we don't see very often!!!)

Personally, I liked the video, even if not all the tricks were my type!!!

Cheers

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
I'd have to agree with Phil and Ronnie.As a relative newcomer to magic, I got fooled a few times. As a student of magic, I enjoyed the thinking and the subtleties. I'd encourage anyone to add this video to their list of often used study materials.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
The thinking in the video is great.And I think instead of the methods,studying the theories behind may help more to improve the magic.
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
OK Fellers!

I defer to your collective judgement.

I'm going to start over with this and see if my initial impression was faulty.

Thanks for your input.

Later.....
Steve
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I actually thought this was one of the best DVD's I have purchased. I like Roberto's thinking.

Give it another shot and see what you think. You may still not like it, and that's OK (there are some videos and books I have that are popular that I really got nothing from - ie -Derren Brown's book "Pure Effect").

Although I may not perform any of the effects on this DVD (at least not now), I do like to know what his motivations are.

PB - I'll have to watch closer this time. Which effect are you assisting with?
ME
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
The open Prediction type effect where he takes an odd card from a wallet. I deal right through leaving one face down ext.

Actually it's a bit of a joke at the close up symposium that all of the acts tend to pick me to assist this happens vitualy every year!
The year John Bannon came over he had me sit out front for the whole lecture.
Phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Roberto Giobbi Lecture DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL