The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Close-up Carrying Case?? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Attitude
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Attitude
Magic Close-up Carrying Case??

Where can I get one??
Rod Lages
View Profile
Loyal user
Brasilia, Brazil
250 Posts

Profile of Rod Lages
I´ll start your list...
Have you tried Chazpro? They usually have great Close-up Cases. http://www.chazpro.com/

Cheers,
Rod Lages Smile
"Confusion isn't Magic" - Dai Vernon
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
If price is no object then go here

http://www.gigrig.com/

If price is an object go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's Home Building Supplier and look for an aluminum case put out by I think the name of the company is called Task Force or Work Force or something like that. They sell for about $20.00. They come with blocks of pre-scored foam inside so you can customize the inside of the case.

Hope this helps,
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2002-10-18 21:43, Doug Byrd wrote:
If price is no object then go here
http://www.gigrig.com/
Doug

Man, you weren't kidding! Only $1245! Smile

Lowe's, here I come! Smile

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productD......VGC-5200

Question: Being lazy, I'll ask if anyone has details on how to mount the aluminum case on a flanged stand? I guess you'd have to have a piece of wood inside for support.

Thanks,

Steve H Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Actually I'd get a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut it to the correct size and put the flange on that and attach that to the Eureka Stand. That way if you ever don't need the stand you will be able to use the case without it.

Just a thought.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Personally, I use a toolbox, but not the big ones, just the medium sized ones. They're light and very well sectioned so I can keep my cards and spongeballs in there.

Walking around with it makes me look like a plumber, but once I whip the goodies out, EVERYONE wants a look inside 'the box.' Hehehe, a cheap alternative and does the same job!

Cheers,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I personally think close up cases are a complete waste of time Smile

Paul.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Gotta agree with Paul, above.

Why spend a small fortune on something that you can pick up at a yard sale (or "boot sale" for those on the eastern side of the pond! <G>) for next to nothing?

I've always used an attache case (the size may vary; I've got several) and they work perfectly and look good.

A camera bag, of the required size, also works (that's what the late Karrell Fox used to use).

A "magic closeup case", that sells for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, may have dividers and such for various effects.

But, unless you do the exact tricks that the case was designed for, you've wasted your money.

Smile
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
I recently took a trip to Lowes and purchased the case that was discussed in this thread. I think it is absolutely wonderful! The case is labeled as "Task Force". It was $25, and well worth it. It is a sturdy aluminum case and comes with a foam insert for the lower half. The foam has been pre-cut in a tiny grid pattern to make customizing slots for different items very easy. It also comes with harder foam rubber dividers, but I opted not to use those. The top half of the case has a removable pen-holding section. I can perfectly fit my close-up mat behind it, as well as a book or lecture notes. Then in front of the pen-holding section is another foam insert, but this one is an egg-shell pattern to protect the items in the lowering half when closing it. I could not have imagined a better case, for a better price.

In a side story, My friends and I were joking that it looked liked a non-descript metal case that could house a bomb, or store plutonium. So becareful Smile

-Jason
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
A complete waste of time? Hummmm?!?

So what do you do Paul, just grap all your tricks up in both hands and walk around with them that way?

Peter, how do you agree with Paul and then go about detailing you use of attache cases for your tricks? Buy them new and you can pay anywhere from $30 to $100. If you like to go tag sale-ing, you could get one cheaper but it would take time, travel and who knows about the quality.

I used to use a shaving kit bag I got for free, with a purchase. Now I use the aluminum sided brief case similar to what you see on the Lowe's web site. My wife bought it for me for christmas for $30.

The inside has customizable foam pieces that are partially pre-cut half inch squares that remove easily to customize the various compartments for any trick I want to store in them. They adjust easily for ropes, cards, sponge balls, pens/markers, coins and my jigger.

It looks professional and keeps everything organized, and in plain view. That way I know if I am missing something right away.

Additionally, I have drilled holes in the bottom to put a Eureka table base flange on to it so I can use it as a closeup table if needed.

All of the above sounds like a good investment to me, not a waste of time.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey Jason!

Is the case heavy?

jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
The box advertises it as "Lightweight and Durable" Smile I have a cups and balls set, a hardbound notebook, my close-up mat, a wand, Sharpies, pens, some lecture notes, some coin sets, and 18 decks of cards. I would say my case weighs in at about 8-10 pounds. Not to bad at all I would say.

-Jason
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kallix,
I believe what Paul meant was over-priced, so-called "specially designed" close-up cases were a waste of time.
Since I prowl yard sales on a regular basis anyway, it's no big deal for me to keep an eye out for good attache cases (they are plentiful!).
You and jgeist1 paid $30 and $25, respectively, for cases that function as closeup cases. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's a great deal and I congratulate you both for it.
What I and, I believe, Paul were railing against were things sold by magic shops, called closeup cases, and going for hundreds of dollars.
Spending that kind of money when there are already things around (as we here have all shown) that do the same job at a tenth the price, is just plain silly.
Spend money on quality, yes.
But for heaven's sake, spend it wisely!
Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Peter,
Ah, okay. If tag sale-ing is a hobby, good bags/cases/containers can definitely be found at a good price.

I am with you on the expensive "close up" cases that magic stores sell. If that is what Paul meant, then I'm with him.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
"When in doubt in buying something expensive, try looking for a cheaper alternative first" - Logan Smile

Just the run of the mill basic common sense fellas!

BobSmith
View Profile
New user
Michigan
2 Posts

Profile of BobSmith
Went to Lowe's tonight and picked up the $20(US) case. I've paid more money for some horrible magic videos/tricks/supplies - in comparison, this case is worth WAY more than 20 bucks.

My wife and I own an entertainment business and these cases could be used for microphones, music, and countless other items.. in addition to my magic. Smile

This model is from a company called Taskforce. I have to believe you can buy this somewhere besides Lowe's, so here's more info: Distributed by L G Sourcing, Inc. (http://www.lgsourcing.com); Item #24981

Just get one. Hey, it's almost Christmas! Smile

Bob Smith
KARAOKEINFO.com
ShowTime Entertainment
Southeast Michigan
Bob Smith (obviously an alias)
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I have 2 of the tool boxes used as close up cases. They help me organize all my props but are a little large to carry to gigs.

I recently purchased a make up case in a beauty supply store for $30. It has a steel diamond plate look on the outside,a combination lock on the front, and 2 small drawers that roll out to the sides for small stuff when opened.

I feel this is the best purchase I've made in a while. The case looks great,has some security and holds everthing I need for a close-up/strolling show.

Rich B.
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Anybody know where I can buy the Eureka table base flange (the thingy that attaches to the table or case) besides a magic dealer?

Yes, I am a cheap s.o.b.

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
That aluminum case is "GuardForce" at Lowe's. Great deal. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Close-up Carrying Case?? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL