The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Simon Aronson's "Try the Impossible" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I can't stop ranting about this book! It's totally amazing! Every single trick is practical and useful! Has anyone else found this to be a total gem? It has some killer concepts in it that I never knew before. Rarely these days have I been baffled by a new concept- the things in this book are amazing. Any comments?

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I got to meet Aronson and complimented him on his simplified "flash speller" from the book. He said that for some reason people didn't mention that often, but that he thought it was one of the real "gems" in there. I agree. It's far easier than any other flash speller I've seen.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I haven't gotten to 'Flash Speller' yet. I've only worked through the first four effects. I think it's a book that I'll actually work through; because each effect seems so worth it. I just got done trying out 'Divide and Conquer.' I've actually been having some trouble with it. The method is just like that in 'Queenspell' but it just isn't coming out right. I'll have to reread it and see if I'm missing something. But that one seems like it would go over well. Can't wait to figure out my error so I can try it out. The whole UnDo influence technique I think is genius. I was initially told that the first effect: "Prior Commitment" is the best effect in the book. It's good, yes- but I'm not 'feeling' the excitement level as others shared with me. Perhaps I'll try and review the other variations that follow in that chapter after the initial explanation. I've been having a lot of fun with Queenspell though.

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My favorite effect from the book was ringleader ,, I use this all the time in conjuction with other band effects
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I saw that in the back. I believe somewhere I have the VHS version entitled, "Ringleader." That's where I initially learned the routine. I only ever saw it on video; never in a book. So now I know where to find it in print. Good routine. If you like band effects- have you ever tried out Chris Kenner's, "Missing Link" from his book, 'Totally out of Control?'

Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Matt also use Chris kenners missing link and jeff Pierce's The joining
I am a rubberbad..freak ....... lol
Ringleader on VHS is a ring and string video by Greg Wilson and it is excellent.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I have to second the praise for Flash Speller. I've re-worked Jim Steinmeyer's "Remote Control" (sort of an 18-card version of his classic Nine Card Problem) to work with "Flash Speller". The combination of the two has fooled even some of the well-posted magician's to whom I've shown it.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Try the Impossible is a great book. If you like that one then you should look into Simply Simon... that's another Aronson book that has some great ideas... especially if you do any memorized card work.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
It is a VERY good book. My favorite is the first trick in the book called prior commitment. A real crowd pleaser to be sure. If you don't have it, get it!
"Don't forget the ACES"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Divide and Conquer is great. I posted a message about a month ago that helps speed it up a bit. I'll try and find it if you're interested.

The flash speller is great, and when you've mastered it definitely give Spell It Out a try--i think it's a real impromptu Gem.

Jack Shalom
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I really like this book. Basically, I have really only just gotten through the first 4 effects. They are all slightly different but they all use the Un-do Influence principle. I blow hot and cold on which of the 4 effects I think is the "best" for presentation to an audience. I like the Prior Commitment but I'm somewhat put off by marking up the Jokers. I like the other versions but I'm not certain that the spelling version or the elimination version are any better than Prior Commitment. I think I like the spelling version best but I think that an audience might me put off by long spelling effects. The key will be to perform these for laymen audiences. So far, I've only performed these for magician buddies during brainstorming sessions and they are put off by all of them. In fairness, these guys are more of the card knuckle-busting variety. I, on the other hand, am more of the knuckle-dragging variety. (grin)

Frankly, I'm still trying to work my way through the methodology of this Un-do Influence principle. I can "see it" in my mind, but, when I try to vary from Simon's printed versions", I find myself floundering. For instance, if you don't wish to use the 18th and the 43rd card how can you set up the deck for differnet numbers. I love devious methodologies like this and I'm just trying to "get inside" of it and understand why it works and how it can be modified.

You guys have me intrigued about the FlashSpeller and the Spell it Out effects. I'll definitely have to try these out.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
Simon not only shows you HOW to do a trick but WHY the trick works too. I think this an awesome idea because it allows one to come up with different handlings and presentations that he has not laid out in the book to begin with. This idea is quite obvious in his detailed explanation of "Twice As Hard". This is a trick of which Michael Close said he knew a memorized deck was used but still couldn't figure out how it was done. How cool is that? To any and all that read this post; take my advice and buy this book then read it word for word with cards in hand and you will have increased your appreciation for great card magic tenfold.
warpod
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of warpod
I have to join the 'flash speller' appreciation club as well. As a magician I love Prior Commitment however I've never been entirely happy with the audience's response to it. might be more of a magician's trick.

Does the 'Twice As Hard' summary have a typo in the equations? They don't seem to match the description earlier on?
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Warpod,

There is a typo in the twice as hard summary--the equation should read a=52-h.

Cesar
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
93 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
Hello.
Can anyone comment on the subject matter in Try the Impossible dealing with the Aronson Stack?

The ad copy states "An all-new, in-depth look at the Aronson Stack, with over 25 new effects that require no memorization and retain the entire stack intact!"

I haven't learned the "stack" but would like to. Obviously I could get one of Simon's earlier works but this book sounds intriguing by itself. My question is, can you adequately learn the Aronson Stack from this book or do you already need to know it?
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
To learn the stack I would recommend "Bound to Please".

It really illuminates the rationale behind the stack. I would get that first. Plus it has "histed heisted" and "shufflebored"!

"Try The Impossible" explores some inherent qualities that are specific to his stack. Those routines do not require you to have memorized it. The routines really serve as a bonus to those common to any memorized deck.

Sean
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
His Un-do Influence principle makes my head hurt. I love the tricks that use this. Even though they are counting tricks they still mess you up.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Bump. I have started on Try The Impossible now. Love it so far. Aronson writes books that I can follow. Not everyone does that.

I don't really get how the Undo Influence works but I'm an idiot at formula type things anyway. As long as it works that is good enough for me for now. Magical in fact.

About Prior Commitment, the one Undo Influence trick I knew from before, I'm not in love with it. I cannot see how the ending with the numbered cards should add to the trick. In my opinion it diminishes the effect since it then suddenly seems apparent that it is a "fake" deck. (I still ran a ton of jokers through my printer to get neat thick numbers on various back patterns).

To me the 1441 version seems a good deal stronger. I find shuffling these reverse cards setups very cumbersome tho. So considering that I think Divide and Conquer is a phenomenal alternative. As I'm writing this I suddenly wonder if the spectator could not be made to do the dealing towards the end. If it ended up as a kind of Out of This World after the locating of the cards, that would be cool.

Oh well. Too tired to think about it now. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm over Try The Impossible before going to bed.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Quote:
About Prior Commitment, the one Undo Influence trick I knew from before, I'm not in love with it. I cannot see how the ending with the numbered cards should add to the trick. In my opinion it diminishes the effect since it then suddenly seems apparent that it is a "fake" deck. (I still ran a ton of jokers through my printer to get neat thick numbers on various back patterns).

it should seems that you actually *have predicted* they will cut into the number position..
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
747 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Ive just ordered this book so I'm looking forward to it, I hope its as good as you guys say.

C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Simon Aronson's "Try the Impossible" (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL