The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Public Domain Info? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
1944 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
If I wanted to ( and I do ) put together a dvd of some tricks and have the dvd for sale or give away after a performance... How can I find tricks that are public domain and there would be no infringement on these..Does anyone know of any trick that are for sure public domain. How can this be confirmed?
I know there is already a dvd or two that can be purchase with full permission to make as many copies as wanted... I wish I could afford that but I can't so, I'm on a mission to make one for myself.
I'm looking for 10 - 20 nice easy to do tricks.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24003 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a tough one. If it's in a book that was printed with a copyright notice before 1976, but after about 1920, the book is probably still copyrighted. Any book published during or after 1976 is probably copyrighted as well.

These CD's that you can buy off eBay that have "public domain magic" are often actually knockoffs of copyrighted or proprietary material. Don't fall into the trap of republishing that stuff.

Why don't you come up with some of your own stuff?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Once again, Bill offers great advice that helps everyone!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4275 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Bill,
He is talking about performing on a DVD and then selling it, not republishing old books.

A "pitch" DVD in other words.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
1944 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Yes a pitch dvd...after the show if you want to learn some really cool easy to do magic I have a dvd available for x mount of dollars.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
1944 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
" Back Of The Room Sales"
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2017 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 00:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
That's a tough one. If it's in a book that was printed with a copyright notice before 1976, but after about 1920, the book is probably still copyrighted. Any book published during or after 1976 is probably copyrighted as well.

These CD's that you can buy off eBay that have "public domain magic" are often actually knockoffs of copyrighted or proprietary material. Don't fall into the trap of republishing that stuff.

Why don't you come up with some of your own stuff?

the LOC has a search query.
you know the name of publications
or ISBN# you can find when they
were published easier.

plus if they were re-published as
a second edition with a new copyright
you don't have reserach further.

its a great tool.

I'm even on there!
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
When I was writing my "Learn Magic" instant author kit for back-of-room sales, I used tricks that I taught in my magic classes at Circus Camp. The teaching methods, presentation, writing and illustrations/photos were all by me. They are basic beginner tricks that you'll find in just about any kids magic book. I didn't bother to track down the source of these tricks because they are so common. Things like the cut force, cut and restored rope with an envelope, folding a coin in paper to vanish it, etc.

I did chat with other more knowledgeable magicians who felt the tricks I included were "safe" and good for beginners. This may be the easiest approach for you to take. However, be aware that putting together that book took a long time and a lot of effort. If you want to make your own book or dvd, keep that in mind. It will probably be cheaper in the long run to buy one that's ready to go and looks good.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me, but I would think that a dvd of you performing and or teaching, is fine because it's you? Again I don't know this for sure, but I would suppose?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 02:23, Xiqual wrote:
Bill,
He is talking about performing on a DVD and then selling it, not republishing old books.

A "pitch" DVD in other words.
James
Putting these effects on a new DVD is also considered republishing. Publishing an effect is the act of making it public through whatever type of media you've chosen. The information Bill gave is actually pretty good. When I last checked on Wikipedia, the cut-off date for Public Domain material was 1923. Anything before was fair game (provided it wasn't republished with a new copyright after that date).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Public Domain Info? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.079313 seconds, requiring 46 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [0] [0] [2] [1] [6] [5] [9]