The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What tricks do you bring with you? (121 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
One sponge ball
One tt
Add up to a mind boggling 7 phase routine.
"It ain't what ya do.......
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, hektormagic wrote:
Hm... probably you are right Dick. I (we) have in the wallet (pocket) some props which allows me (us) to do different tricks. The question was "what tricks do you bring with you" and everybody share his preferences. Tricks, props, tools, gimmicks... we can call them with different names, but in my opinion this is not the most important in the case.

I would question your use of the word "probably"!

The OP, innocently enough, did not use the proper term. TRICKS,PROPS, TOOLS, GIMMICKS, ARE N O T THE SAME THING!

A TRICK cannot be carried in one's pocket! A TRICK, like music, only exists while it is being performed.

When my dentist says to his assistant: "Hand me the sharp, pointy thing." I'm leaving!

So, you are entitled to your OPINION (it's a free country!) HERE COMES THE "BUT": "OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi Jake!

The late Quintino Marucci, aka Slydini, contributed a "handling" of the Edward Victor C&R rope technique, which produced the necessary "situation" for the Professor's Nightmare. "The long and short of it" is in "Slydini ENCORES" (copyright 1966). Slydini credits the late Hen Fetsch as the originator. While there are several who think that there were a few earlier users of the principle, the late Bob Carver is generally considered the originator. Carver showed the method to another magician, who "sold" it to the late Gene Gordon. Gene wrote the original "Nightmare" lines, and, sold it for $1.00. I paid Gene a dollar for it in April, 1959. (seven years before "Slydini Encores").

I liked the effect, but, didn't like the "set up moves". The late Karrell Fox finally realized that the late Gen Grant's "move" for his "50/50 C&R rope, would provide the necessary set up. Karrell shared his "discovery". In 1971, using Grant's method, I started to perform it.

The late Dennis Loomis and I worked out a routine involving the late Karl Germaine's C&R routine, Slydini's handling from "Encore", a few ideas from the late Ken Allen, and a bluff restoration (before Conway). It was a predecessor to Pop Haydn's "Mongolian Pop Knot". I used the Loomis/Oslund routine for about five years as the opener in my high school program. I cut up a "few" spools of rope, in 5 years! Then, I dropped it. I'm retired, but,if I were to revive the routine, I would definitely use Pop's Mongolian. --I like it better than what Dennis and I worked out, almost 50 years ago!

Dick, thank you for the history lesson, I appreciate it. I love information and lessons learned here on the Café.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Wow, this is an old thread. I always carry some magic props in my wallet and on my keychain:

A few coins, rubber bands, business cards, and a $100 monopoly bill, and a couple gimmicked keys.

In my car, I have a small belt pouch that has the following:

A regular deck of stacked cards, a box of various individual gimmick cards such as regular duplicate cards, DB, DF, and cards from Rick Lax's Masterpiece deck, one additional gimmicked card deck (could be invisible deck or other), coins, sponge animals, string (for ring and string), sharpie, some mentalism props, TT, and a Sanada gimmick. All this fits in a very small belt pouch that is just a bit larger than four decks of cards.

kj
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hooray for 1kj!

Except for the gaffed decks, you use mostly GENERIC small PROPS, a few GIMMICKS and a "FEKE/GIMMICK" (the TT)!

I remember a pre-banquet corporate cocktail hour, in New Orleans during the Christmas Season, about 20 years ago. The room was decorated for Christmas, with a tree, wreaths, etc. The lighting was from the tree, the wreaths, and some soft indirect lighting.

I strolled for an hour, with the lit match vanish in a TT, a coin vanish ("Coin-Go") the Perpetual Ball, and, a 4' length of rope, and a 3" ring. I had a deck for fancy shuffles, and flourishes, in my pocket, on "standby". --All "eye-candy" bits. Short, visual effects, angle proof, visible props, versatile props, recognizable props, no set up, spot adaptable, small & light, and, NO TABLE NEEDED! Guests had a drink in one hand, a cigarette, or an hors d'oeuvre, in the other hand.

The client and the guests were well pleased!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hooray for 1kj!

Except for the gaffed decks, you use mostly GENERIC small PROPS, a few GIMMICKS and a "FEKE/GIMMICK" (the TT)!

I remember a pre-banquet corporate cocktail hour, in New Orleans during the Christmas Season, about 20 years ago. The room was decorated for Christmas, with a tree, wreaths, etc. The lighting was from the tree, the wreaths, and some soft indirect lighting.

I strolled for an hour, with the lit match vanish in a TT, a coin vanish ("Coin-Go") the Perpetual Ball, and, a 4' length of rope, and a 3" ring. I had a deck for fancy shuffles, and flourishes, in my pocket, on "standby". --All "eye-candy" bits. Short, visual effects, angle proof, visible props, versatile props, recognizable props, no set up, spot adaptable, small & light, and, NO TABLE NEEDED! Guests had a drink in one hand, a cigarette, or an hors d'oeuvre, in the other hand.

The client and the guests were well pleased!

Thank you Dick. Quite a complement coming from a legend like yourself. BTW, the mentalism props are mostly blank cards.

KJ
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
Deck of cards (Mnemonica)
A card wallet with dupes for t&r
Color changing lighter
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Slydini silks, sponge balls,
Misers Dream, Cards, TT,
Ejwhite25
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Ejwhite25
I bring a regular pack of cards with a dup and in stack sometimes ,a sharpie , and loops
Magikgym
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Magikgym
Rubberbands
Walking liberties
Deck of cards
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
I bring my PK effect The Gift (that I released 9 years ago), a gimmicked pen to use with it, a Fork, a PK pen, a card deck and another duplicate deck with Method 01 by Morelli, I also usually have a scotch and soda on me and a loop or two if they are available. If it is winter, I may have the M5 as well and a strong magnetic half dollar. Sometimes Crazy Cube.
Here is The Gift. It is no longer publicly available but if people contact me directly, it is.
https://youtu.be/82obXYQe0OI
akashdeep617
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of akashdeep617
1. Double Cross
2. Blank Billets in my purse for p**k.
3.A very Small size Svengali pad that fits very comfortably in my pocket.
4.Pot of Jam By James brown.
blaykp
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blaykp
I always have Exact Change on me, which, in addition to using it as a trick itself, also gives me access to plenty of coin tricks.

Sometimes, if I feel I might be asked to do something, I’ll also carry some combination of a deck of cards, set of silver dollars, and/or pen.
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
Coin bend and a deck of cards
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
And a fire wallet*
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
Staked Deck
Blank Business Cards
Loops
Add in a few apps and there is a ton you can do
Tarabas
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Tarabas
Deck of Cards

Rubber Bands

Invisible Deck
Magonil
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magonil
Double cross cant miss, its great effect
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Several TTs and associated goodies are with me always, I travel with S&S, 3 Shell, Sven and invisible deck as well.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
martinlaw1989
View Profile
New user
London, UK
8 Posts

Profile of martinlaw1989
Coins with gaffs
Playing Cards
Finger Chopper
Chop cup
Rubik's Cube
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What tricks do you bring with you? (121 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL