The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Your very own card trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Just a little survey: Do you perform a "Card Trick" that you have created yourself?

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I usually do a combination of a few of my own, and a few of the classics, or something new that I happen to enjoy doing.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I have done a few, but usually they are really short and added with another routine or something.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
There are no original card tricks.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Only original performances.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
One that I created, yes, one that has never been created before, probably not.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
75% of what I do are my own creations. The balance would be the classics.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Do you mean new plots? New Handlngs? New Presenations?

I perform a few card things that are completly original (to my knowledge).

The bulk of my card stuff is original handlings(not substituing a top change for a DL or pass for double undercut but completely new handlings), or original presentations....
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I am not good enough to make up my own stuff. I learn effects or sleights and then use them to adapt my performances and presentation but completely original not a chance. Not good enough. That is why I envy the guys that are the card masters. I can do the sleights but I guess I lack the creativity except for presentation but that doesn't require that much creativity.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Daegs

If you can put your hand on your heart and say “This is my trick” then the trick is yours.

But if your proven wrong we will you allow to say:

“Not only will I retract what I said but I am willing to swear on oath that I never even said it.”

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
I have some effects I thought of my own. Probably been done before but they are my handlings. Here are descritoins.

1. Twisting the aces, aces turn to kings. Aces on table have turned into kings.
2. Card is chosen, put down between aces. Card vanishes from aces, found face up in middle of deck.
3. 2 cards are chosen, trapped between aces on table. cards change places, aces turn into kings.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do you mean novel effects? A couple perhaps.
Do you mean novel approaches to standard effects? A few.
Do you mean novel approaches to presenting standard effects? Yes for the most part.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Originality in some form. Something in the trick or the way it is presented that originated from you alone. Something that you have thought of rather than something someone else have thought of. Or some things that someone else has thought of and you have thought of a way of using them in novel form of combination. But now I am confusing myself.

What is the criteria for giving credit for a new effect? Whatever it be that is what I mean…. I think. Smile

Tommy

Tommy
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
All the time
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-04 18:02, tommy wrote:...What is the criteria for giving credit for a new effect? ...

IMHO it helps to credit every move, inspiration, collaborator... This honors the past, the folks who likely have lots of other good ideas to explore and all the people who helped make the trick or routine happen. That is the scholarly approach and helps our literature and other students a great deal.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes thanks Jon. I was not thinking about giving or getting credit that is important but...

I think what I wanted to really know was do we use our brains enough or have we come to rely on others for the magic we do. "We" as in us card guys in general.
Do we just buy books, learn tricks, and do them as shown? We might do them well, skill-wise, but should we not put something original from ourselves into every trick we do. Something a bit more than our personality. Seems a lot of us just ask what is the best so and so and copy it because that is so easy today. We get DVDs and see top card guys do it and think that's the way to do it, rather than how can I do it. Isn't all these DVDs and books stopping us thinking for ourselves. A bit like turning the TV on for entertainment, or not cooking because we get fast food. At least guys who have thought up something original are not just skilled tradesmen. Do you think that card guys like most of people in the modern world are getting lazy.
Shouldn’t the first and most important question be when we do a trick is what did "we" put into it that is original. Rather than did I do it skilfully.
The spectators may not care if we did or not but shouln't we care?

Tommy
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Great tricks do not need to be changed. The only creation is the presentation that must fit with the magician's caracter and style.
Smile Smile Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Uh, uh... No, no. I must admit, I did not know just who I was expecting for tea. But as you can see, I predicted the exact spot.

Merlin

Tommy
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I only have one which I consider a personal creation and use often. However, like many new effects days, it's just a tinkertoy creation of a couple of other pieces that haven't been brought together in the past to my knowledge. I consider it a creation because I came up with an excellent framing and story like progression that brings it all together, makes a lot of sense when using the cards, the backs, the action, and even the reason of introducing the trick to the spectator to make them feel special...and it ends clean.

If I ever describe it though, I'll credit those who have come up with brilliant pieces I use or similar plots. It's the least I can do.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I try to devise my own routines...... I don't know that I use any original "Trick". I also swear I never wrote this, and retract it summarily.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Your very own card trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL