The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz (76 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I picked up a used copy here on the Café in pristine condition (which turns out to not be a recent reprint to boot , I believe Copyright 1994,1995) I love this book more than "Our Magic" (my old favorite). I see "Designing Miracles" is available as an audiobook narrated by Darwin himself. I wonder if there are any plans on doing the same with "Strong Magic"? I know I would grab it up. (the "DM" audiobook is now on my short list). I am currently about 1/3 of my way through "Strong Magic" and I hate to put it down at night but alas, my medications kick in and I want to remember what I read so I just do several pages per night. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
joenex
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of joenex
"Designing Miracles" is a wonderful book - a must read for every serious student or performer. It makes you rethink even things you do for long time. J
Joe Nex
Germany
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Finished but reading again just to absorb this great material. Unlike a lot of magic books, It is written in a way that you can read it again (without a deck of cards in hand and stopping to work this and that out along the way). Designing Miracles is definitely next on my list (and I do believe I will try the audiobook on this one) Any reason to go with the physical book over the audio version? As in photos, graphs, charts or anything important I could miss? Smile

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I picked up a copy of Strong Magic when it first came out.
I read it carefully. By the end of it, I asked myself the bottom-line question:
What did I learn from Strong Magic?
(Learning theories suggest that if you can't articulate what you learned, you haven't learned anything)
I couldn't answer that question.

During that time, there were many glowing reviews here and elsewhere.
So I asked those reviewers:
What did you learn from Strong Magic?
I never got a good answer to that question.

I'm still curious about what I could have missed. So I'll ask again:
Please be specific and concrete.

thanks
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Doug Peters wrote:
I picked up a copy of Strong Magic when it first came out.
I read it carefully. By the end of it, I asked myself the bottom-line question:
What did I learn from Strong Magic?
(Learning theories suggest that if you can't articulate what you learned, you haven't learned anything)
I couldn't answer that question.

During that time, there were many glowing reviews here and elsewhere.
So I asked those reviewers:

I never got a good answer to that question.

I'm still curious about what I could have missed. So I'll ask again:
Please be specific and concrete.

thanks

I want to give this thread a bump because when I first read this question, I was really fascinated by it. I totally see where the question is coming from yet I have been struggling to put into words, exactly what "I" want to convey with my answer. The holidays are coming up fast and I am sure everyone will be busy most of the next 45 days or so BUT... I will sit down when I get time and answer this. Hopefully others will throw out their ideas also. Like I said, I have been thinking about it (and only recently read thru the book but would like to go back thru some parts) but I hope to keep the thread in site so I remember to give it my full attention when I am better prepared. Thanks for the question too. I think the spirit of the question really does deserve an answer. Smile

Smile Smile
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
In the broadest of terms, Strong Magic is the equivalent of a university course in Theatre 101, but applied to the craft of magic rather than traditional live theatre.

It's a book that teaches you how to generate a quality product as a magician when performing in front of an audience.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Hi Artie,
You needn't have been responding to my question, of course. But it is curious that a request for:
Quote:
specific and concrete

gets your
Quote:
the broadest of terms
Smile
This is the kind of thing that happened the last time I asked the question!
I asked "what did you learn from Strong Magic?" and people answer a different question...
Poof-Daddy: looking forward to your response, thanks!
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I don't think Strong Magic was written, or is intended to teach anybody any "specific and concrete" lessons in anything.

It's a broader look at how to become an excellent performer in the field of magic - as opposed to simply being a guy doing some tricks.

If absolutely forced to name something specific and concrete one takes away from reading Strong Magic, I'd have to say that Strong Magic (from cover to cover) demands that a magician performing for people THINK hard about what they're doing, and THINK even harder about how they're doing it. Mixed in with those two items is the additional thinking the book suggests one put into determining WHY you're doing what you're doing at various points throughout your presentation of any given magic trick.

The book teaches the reader how to approach that kind of thinking.

I guess (but I don't know because I'm not Darwin Ortiz) it's possible you might be looking for an answer that the book simply wasn't designed to give, especially if the kind of specific and concrete answer you're looking for is of the "the book taught me how to do a faro shuffle" variety.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I don't need to read a book to tell me to think about what I do or why I am doing it.
Perhaps that's why the book didn't work for me: I'm already invested in "that kind of thinking"...

When it comes to "specific and concrete", let me give some examples from what I consider the best of this "genre" of books -- Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.
- find someone to be your "director".
- get in the habit of video-taping yourself.
And one that isn't so "concrete", but has critical implications:
- the audience doesn't care about most of the things that the performer must care about.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2016, Doug Peters wrote:
I don't need to read a book to tell me to think about what I do or why I am doing it.

Seems you're set then Doug, nice talking to you.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
This Ortiz book is crammed full of practical advice that you can apply to your magical performance. Anyone who disputes that has failed to absorb the information in the book and perhaps needs something simpler.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, ASW wrote:
This Ortiz book is crammed full of practical advice that you can apply to your magical performance. Anyone who disputes that has failed to absorb the information in the book and perhaps needs something simpler.

I think Doug Peters is asking for something specific. It's a legitimate question.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Plenty in there that is specifically applicable to improve your act.

Do people need it in rhyme? With pictures? WTF?
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2016, ASW wrote:
Plenty in there that is specifically applicable to improve your act.

Do people need it in rhyme? With pictures? WTF?

Name just one (or two, or twenty)--that's all he's asking for, I think. (No need to get so bent out of shape.)
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
You can't name one piece of practical advice in the entire book? Are you pulling my leg?

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2016, ASW wrote:
You can't name one piece of practical advice in the entire book? Are you pulling my leg?

I haven't read the book, although I plan to one day. You have, so it is up to you to "name one piece of practical advice."
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
You're in for a treat. Doug Peters can answer his own question by reading the book.

Hideo Kato
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW

Hideo Kato
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Thanks, ASW, for (once again) helping make my point for me!
(Can someone -- anyone? -- actually answer the question?)
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
"Forget it, [Andrew]. This is [the Magic Café]."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz (76 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL