The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Metal/aluminum help???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hello.

I have a couple projects I've had sitting around and I'd like to finish them in the next few months... The only problem is, this requires working with aluminum. I need a couple rolling-frame- bases made from aluminum square-tubing. I want something sleek looking yet still lightweight and easy to disassemble for storage and transportation reasons. Would you recommend having the bases made from "1-1/2 x "1-1/2 x "1/8 aluminum square tubing or should I go with steel? Another dilemma... Can I have either of these chrome plated? What does that normally consist of? Any good resources? The first base I would like to have built wouldn't hold much weight as it is for a table base. The second one should support about 200 lbs. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
Bryan Gilles
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Bryan,

Aluminum will be your best friend- strong, versatile, easy to work with, and INCREDIBLY lightweight! Aluminum square tube is great for base legs. You can use 1-1/2" but I would recommend you go on up to 2". This may not be available at Home Depot, but you can get it at any metal supply house, and probably for cheaper than you'd get the smaller stuff at the hardware store. 1/8" thickness is fine. You can have it welded, or make it to bolt together. You can polish the metal with "aluminum rouge" to give it a mirror-like shine, but you'll probably need a hand held power buffer, as this can be tedious work (but looks great). As for the weight capacity, I have an appearance chamber with an aluminum pedestal which supports me, my assistant, and the weight of the illusion itself. I used 2" square tube and have never had a problem. It's also the most transport-friendly part of the show; it's a decent sized pedestal but I swear I could probably lift it with one hand and throw it the length of a football field (well, almost)! Good luck!

Phil
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Bryan:

I'm a fan of the KISS principle ("Keep It Short & Simple"), and so prefer off-the-shelf where possible. Could you perhaps find something prefab at your nearest store fixture supplier? (Next time you're in a department store, take a peek at those shelves and other free-standing display gizmos -- if they're on a base that might adapt to your needs, you're halfway there -- no MIG welding required!)

Hope the Duck Bucket project turned out okay -- good luck on this one.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Leland,
I really like the pre-fab, I just want everything in my show to have a unique look to it that fits my style. I have checked out a couple of the clothing racks that are of chrome-tubing. I just wish they had the shapes I am looking for. Chances are, I may end up having to get Malloy to build exactly what I need. He's an expert at this.

Bryan
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Steel can be chrome-plated but, unless things have changed, aluminum cannot. It CAN be higly polished but you are looking at a lot of elbow grease to make that happen. I concur with freefallillusion that aluminum is one of the best materials for illusion construction. Even chrome-plated steel can draw moisture in storage and start rusting under the plating.

Occasionally something will jump out at you when you leaf through display catalogs and such but relatively few times will it match your vision. My recommendation is to (when possible) go with custom construction.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Metal/aluminum help???? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL