The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From The Wizards Cave - by Bill Palmer » » The Unexpected Answer -- a lesson that is often hard. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A series of threads in the Food for Thought area inspired this post.

Don't ask a question unless you know all of the possible answers to it.

In 1972, I met Dai Vernon for the first time. I had him sign my copy of The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. At the time, I was just getting into mentalism, and I thought I was pretty good with a NW. So, in my worst possible imitation of Corinda, I brought out a business card, pretended to write something on it, and asked The Professor, "Would you please give me a three digit number?"

He said, "Four, Five, Eight."

I did "the work," as I asked him (continuing the hackneyed Corinda patter) "Does that number have any special significance?" The answer he gave was one that stuck with me.

"Yes. It's the three most difficult numbers to write with a NW!"

I was floored, but I laughed. Why? First, he was right. Second, I had made a mistake. I had asked a question for which I didn't know all the possible answers. Third, I had overestimated my skill. Fourth, I had underestimated The Professor.

I said, "Thanks for the magic lesson, Sir!" And we both laughed.

If you have questions you ask during your performance, you should make sure that they have yes or no answers and that you have a response for either one.

The same thing applies to asking people to evaluate your web site. Don't ask them, unless you are prepared for hard answers. The feature you like the best may be annoying to others. There is a dealer whose web site I visit at least 3 times a day. His web site starts with annoying music. I turn my sound off when I go to his site.

This also applies to posting videos of your act. If you post a video of your act, and invite people to watch it, prepare yourself for "evaluation," unless you make clear to the people you have invited that the purpose is not evaluation but something else. Otherwise, you will have to be ready for the viewers to point out what they feel are flaws in the performance.

If you aren't thick-skinned, you may find your feelings hurt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One other thing -- if you have unfounded theories about the development of magic, or any other art form, or if you basically don't know what you are talking about, expect to hear from people who do.

You might find feedback in the form of an unwanted reply to a post.

You might find feedback in the form of an unwanted private message.

Or you might find that people are discussing your credibility behind your back.

Or they might not actually care.

I wonder which is worse.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From The Wizards Cave - by Bill Palmer » » The Unexpected Answer -- a lesson that is often hard. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL