The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..20~21~22 [Next]
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-05-27 19:48, Marvello wrote:

There are many amazing female magicians, such as Jade, Trixie Bond, Faye Presto, Mandy Muden, Laura London and Dorothy Dietrich, to name a few.

I have never posted or been caught up in any of the "Special Guest" appearances until JADE showed up recently.

First of all I couldn't believe she agreed to take time to visit with us and take questions. Actually I felt I would believe it when I saw it. Well she showed up alright! I think I had some six questions for her and to get a reply from her was SMACKINGLY FANTABULICIOUS! Yes, that is a word for today or at least for describing JADE.

She is one of the most remarkable artists I've ever seen. She is perfect in all she does and can do no wrong. Anything she says is true and wonderful. Anything she does is perfection in itself. And for a little girl when she first came to this country, she's done quite an amazing job. Did I mention perfection?

Yes I know I'm going a bit far with this but it's my post. Hehehehe.

And her magic is shear artistry understood in all languages.

And yep, she is a woman. Let's face it, she kicks a lot of a** and much of it belongs to men.

Maybe I'll see what her tour or performing schedule looks like as I'd like to buy a ticket to her show. Just absolute perfection. Just fantastic.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Jade is lovely. She is a great performer.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"The archetype of the witch is very powerful, and each woman has that witch inside her in a powerful good sense, not in terms of black magic,”

-Judith Orloff-

That I think is true and I do not understand why lady magicians do not use this mystery to their advantage by calling themselves witches. I see nothing derogatory about it. It is only a name but the name tells you it is lady that does magic. Witch’s a very popular characters in the media and have been so for many years: The Witches of Eastwick and Charmed for example were smash hits. Why is it that lady magicians do not call themselves witches anyway, as it seems natural to so to me. When a women calls herslf a magician the public see her as playing the part of a man rightly or wrongly.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Whit you said Jade is lovely .She is a great performer.

why didn't you say Jade is a great performer . and she is lovely
this is because you see here as a woman before you see her as a magician.
This proves you see a womans beauty as primo before her skills.
lo
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Appearance is important for both men and women. Being good looking works for me anyway. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 04:59, tommy wrote:
"The archetype of the witch is very powerful, and each woman has that witch inside her in a powerful good sense, not in terms of black magic,”

-Judith Orloff-

That I think is true and I do not understand why lady magicians do not use this mystery to their advantage by calling themselves witches. I see nothing derogatory about it. It is only a name but the name tells you it is lady that does magic.

The perceptions of others may differ from yours, tommy.
I find that calling myself a Magician lets the folks know I do magic. Go figure. Smile
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Channing Pollack was very handsome and a great performer.
POOF!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
When a women calls herslf a magician the public see her as playing the part of a man rightly or wrongly.

You see that, tommy. My experience so far has been that the public sees me playing the part of a Magician.

I.e. Preshow exclamation: "Where's the magician? Is she hiding under the table?" Smile

Posted: May 28, 2006 10:36am
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 01:24, Whit Haydn wrote:
Jade is lovely. She is a great performer.

"lovely" doesn't necessarily refer exclusively to physical attributes, I'd say.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 09:28, Lo-Key wrote:

lo

Nonsense. What a silly thing to say.

Jade is a dear friend of mine.

I do not see her as a woman first and then a magician. I see her as a friend first. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Bingo. Go figure again. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
You at first never said she was a friend, No offense Whit I think you just slipped a little, lol. I look at Melinda as drop dead gorgeous First who is a excellent magician. Go back and look at the picture tell me she is a magician first.
lol
P.S. Kregg,no doubt Pollack was handsome but did you view him as amagician first or just googled over his looks.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 09:28, Lo-Key wrote:

Oh I don't know. That may be really reading into something that isn't there.

Besides, Whit ain't exactly blind and Jade ain't exactly ugly.

As for women (female magicians) not using the image of a witch to their advantage, it's probably for the same reason that not many men dress as a wizard ala Bill Palmer.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
The first time I saw Channing Pollack was a printed headshot. I thought; he must be a model or an actor.
It wasn't until years after that I saw a tape of his magic act.
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Anyway the best cook in world is my mom. Smile

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 12:07, tommy wrote:
Anyway the best cook in world is my mom. Smile

You said, "the best cook in [the] world is my mom." You didn't say, "My mom is the best cook in the world." This indicates that you see her as a cook first, and your mom second.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Back to the Melinda picture. If it wasn't for the bird, is there anything there that tells you she's a magician? Or simply another Showgirl? You gotta give her some credit though (actually I think the credit goes to her mom Bonnie) She knows that sex sells in Las Vegas, and she played that part to the hilt. She needed a "hook" to make her stand out from all the other dancers, and she happened to choose magic.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 22:34, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 21:04, airship wrote:
Meanwhile, girls are off doing nurturing stuff.

Like throwing ROCKS at the scary librarian. Smile Smile

...or building jails!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 13:53, Margarette wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 22:34, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-26 21:04, airship wrote:
Meanwhile, girls are off doing nurturing stuff.

Like throwing ROCKS at the scary librarian. Smile Smile

...or building jails!

Margarette

Margarette, we can always count on ya to slam dunk, in freezing water, apparently sound reasoning from others.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 04:47, dpe666 wrote:
If you are a woman you have just proven that you cannot follow instructions. However, that is ok as this topic is about you. I often hear women complain that magic is a "male-dominated-art". My opinion on that is: so what? There are gyms that are "for women only" and they are acceptable, and yet if there was a gym "for men only" there would be protesters and the ACLU blocking the entry way. That is only an example of my feelings. Why is it that the fact that magic is "male-dominated" such a bad thing? Smile

Personally, I hope it remains thus.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 10:24, Margarette wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 10:13, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Why doves and parrots, can't we use hawks and penguins?

This actually happened at my office. A young hawk flew into one of the windows and was stunned for quite a while. No one wanted to touch it, but we kept checking on it to make sure it was okay. One of my co-workers asked me why didn't I take the bird home and use it in my magic act...I'd be unusual having a hawk instead of a parrot.

Margarette

Now THERE's a GREAT idea for a comedy bird act! Produce and vanish penguins and finish with the production of a chorus line of NUNS!

It would be a Bloom County Magic Act - a regular Magnum OPUS!

Oh, I am SO going to a Very Uncomfortable Place when I go...!

However, on a more serious note, I always did wonder why all of the birdy types did doves and parrots - and then I worked for seven years at Medieval Times and watched our Licensed Falconer working with the falcns and hawks. Trust me, you do NOT want to work with raptors. When they bite, you lose body parts!

Although, I have to admit, it WAS pretty cool when we used one to fly our wedding rings down the aisle of the chapel when we got married! It even made Real TV!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL