The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Music for a Video Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Here is my question: I want to record a loose version of the theme song from Rocky. It will be a spoof with the feel(phrasing)of parts of the Rocky song, but the notes and words will be different. Do I have to pay ASCAP to do this?

It will be rewritten both notes and lyrics, and performed by me.

I have this whole training montage in my mind right now, and the feel of that song really fits.

This is for a video production that may be commerical.

Tony
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Well, if it is not using the exact arrangement and notes then you should be okay as long as you aren't just doing it in another key. There are many songs out there that sound very similar. The only thing you might consider is noting that it is inspired by the Rocky song. The Rolling Stones did that when they found out one of their songs sounded similar in notation to KD Lang's Constant Craving. Out of respect they gave her acknoledgement in the liner notes.

Having said that though, if your song is sounding really similar, you may want to contact the creator of Gonna Fly Now. Better safe than sorry.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Actually if you are changing the words you could be covered under laws concerning parodys.

Good friends of ours have a parody band and they have researched all the laws and how it affects them. Here is some info that may help you...

In 1994, in a case involving 2 Live Crew's parody of "Oh Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that parodies can be a "fair use" of an original song, requiring no permission or royalties. One of the main points the Supreme Court made was that when a parodist significantly changes the words and meaning of an original song to spoof it, the parody becomes a new work -- even if it uses the music of the original. And that to do a parody of a song, you need to use at least some of the music of the original to "conjure up" the original. You can't have a parody without having elements of the original in that parody.

This may help you as well:
http://www.artslaw.org/PARODY.HTM

Hope that helps.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Took the words right out of my mouth Kevin. In other words, "Yeah... what he said!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Music for a Video Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL