The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade Mouth Coils and Throw Streamers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Does anyone know how to make your own homemade Mouth Coils and Throw Streamers or is there a book somewhere that explains how to do this. Mouth Coils are plastic coated and Throw Streamers are made out of lightweight tissue paper. They shouldn't be too difficult to make yourself. Thank you.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
Why would you want to? They aren't that expensive
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Actually, they are pretty easy to make and way less expensive than the pre-made ones. Besides, you can choose the colors and sizes to meet your needs.

A lot of people have asked me about how to make these and here is my answer:

Visit http://www.magicnook.com/papermagic/tearablecontents.htm and order the PDF file there. It's only $3 and tells you everything you need to know.

I'm not associated with this site at all, but it is where I learned to make mouth coils and the $3 has been paid back many many times over.

Thanks,
Richard
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Spanky:

Yes, Mouth Coils and Throw Streamers are cheap. I wanted to make my own set for the reasons that rtgreen mentioned. I wanted Mouth Coils and Throw Streamers in custom colors and sizes. Thanks everyone.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do a search on the Café, as I remember someone explained how to make the mouth coils here.

Streamers are much more difficult to make as you need very long tissue paper and be able to wind it tightly. Then cut the roll in widths, very hard to do at home.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
It's easy to make mouth coils, and it is no big trade secret. Just get a yardstick, and some tissue paper and a glue stick. Tightly wrap the tissue around the stick. Start with white tissue since that will be the first color out of the coil, and also end with white since that will be the outer wrapping - you can use any color tissue you want for the "inner" pieces. When you get to then end of the tissue use some glue stick to join it together with another sheet, and then continue rolling the next sheet around the yardstick and keep on repeating until you get a good size coil - 7 -10 sheets is good. Just remember to keep it tight when rolling around the yardstick. Then tightly glue the last sheet to itself and carefully remove the yardstick by sliding it out gently. Then cut the tissue log you created in to 2 inch strips and then cut each 2 inch section half way through - do not complete the cut - so you will end up with a 2 inch section that has a cut half way through it at 1 inch. Then simply grab each half and fold the ends together and then put tape around the coil to hold the 2 halves together, and you will have a bunch of 1 inch mouth coils for a fraction of the price. You can get yard sticks for free at Ace hardware, and you can get tissue paper at most dollar stores.

If you want to do seasonally themed mouth coils you could use red white and green for christmas, orange and black for halloween, etc.. I have even seen tissue paper that has dollar bills printed on it, and have made some fun novelty mouth coils that look like shredded money. I have also used zebra striped and polka dotted mouth coils, and they all look fun and a lot more interesting that "store bought" mouth coils.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've found if you wrap the tissue paper around a broom stick or wooden dowel, it works a little better than a flat surface wrap...

Bryan
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 22:17, Bryan Gilles wrote:
I've found if you wrap the tissue paper around a broom stick or wooden dowel, it works a little better than a flat surface wrap...

Bryan

cool- I will give it a try. Rather than a yarstick, I actually use a piece of wood that is about 1/2 the width than a regular yardstick - I think it is a slat from a window blind, though I am not sure.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Gotta disagree with Bryan Gilles regarding the use of a round stick versus a flat yard stick. Paper rolled around a round stick will want to unroll, making the whole process a lot more tedious. I've also found that a round stick is more difficult to remove once the process is finished.
I don't use a glue stick. I join each new sheet with clear tape. It's instant. There is no chance of bleed-over as there is with any kind of glue. And functionally, the coils work just great.
For cutting the roll into individual coils I use the "Handycutter" from Sears. It's an anvil-type cutter with a thin razor-sharp blade.
I can make a dozen coils with materials that total about $1.25.
"Don't run with those..."
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Which paper is the best for making mouth coils. pm me. thanks
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-06-26 10:05, wally wrote:
Which paper is the best for making mouth coils.

Tissue paper
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Well, as for my experience on this: I needed very long mouth coils in solid orange, and had no choice but to make them. I first tried the wood dowel method. I discovered, as many here did, that I couldn't get the paper off the stick when finished, so I came up with a very simple yet effective solution: Staighten out a coat hanger and lay it alongside your dowel. Wrap the paper as normal, and when you're finished, slide the piece of wire out first (it will come out easily) and you'll find that this loosens the whole thing sufficiently that the paper roll will now slide right off the stick. Also, I too use clear plastic tape instead of glue. I cut the individual coils with a band saw using a fine blade. Good luck!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Still can not find the right tool for cutting homemade mouth coils here in UK.
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
I have for years taken large rolls of paper, rewound them to size and length needed, and then sawed them with a band saw to make my own hat coils.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Quote:
On 2006-06-07 23:33, wmhegbli wrote:
Do a search on the Café, as I remember someone explained how to make the mouth coils here.

That would be me...

Send me a PM

Derek Merdinyan
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Sears Craftsman 3-7/8 in. Handi-Cut is what I need to cut mouth coils , but they will not ship to England, please please help. any Canadian magician to help. will pay well .
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I would take the advise on throw streamers from Derek Merdinyan I got the idea from him and it works great.

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
You can also use a bandsaw to cut them. I cut 3 or 4 rolls at a time. The other reason to learn how to make a coil is if you run out and need one ASAP you can build your own. You become self reliant. If you on the road and loose your stuff then you can run up to the store, buy some paper and make one.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
Xi'an, China & London, England
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
Love this community! All of the magic I need to buy here in China is over-priced (western prices on a Chinese salary isn't great). This information alone is going to save me a fortune considering the amount of mouth coils I seem to get through entertaining kids at our school, and being able to make custom colours will just add much more variety to the shows I do. Thanks a million, guys!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Wally, on cutting the coils, for MOUTH coils, I simply use a sharp razor knife (also called a utility knife, or click knife) One could also use a Linoleum cutter knife, or even a very sharp paring knife from the kitchen- use the cutting board, and be sure to re-sharpen when you are done! Paper really dulls sharps edges.
Unless you are cutting some behemoth coils (or hat coils) you should be okay, just take your time, and cut carefully. AND it is okay if the coil mushes a bit flat while you cut it, it will get turned and shaped before you are all done anyway!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade Mouth Coils and Throw Streamers (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL