The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flashing Candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
I would have posted this under the bizarre magic forums, but I thought this was a more appropriate place.

What I am trying to achieve is this:

A candle is lit at the beginning of a seance. During opening remarks, the candle sputters and extinguishes itself. The candle remains inert until, at the climax of the seance, the candle belches forth with a quick flash of flames (think of the scene in which Reagan's mother is looking around in the attic during the beginning of "The Exorcist").

I've pretty much figured out how to make the gimmicked candle die out on its own. The trick, is to set up a remote triggering device in either the "candle" or the base of the candle. This is so I can get away with setting up the seance table before the audience, and not have a pre-set candle and table waiting. I just don't want a huge wire making an obvious appearance.

Any suggestions? Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
We had a long discussion on this once before here, and you might find something there. But you have identified the issue correctly. The re-lighting part is the hardest.

It would seem that, if you had a big enough base for the candle (or a fat candle) you could get away with gimmicking that part for remote "control" to go out OR to light on command. But the real issue is how do you cause it to go out and to also refire.

If you had something easily flamable to restart the candle, it probably would have been set off by the original flame. So the same candle going out and resarting on command is a challenge that I don't think has been publicly solved here yet.

I have been working on a number of solutions but have nothing practical yet.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Hey BroDavid,

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

:)

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on this... but I'm not exactly going for an extinguishing/relighting candle. I think I'm looking for a solution to finding (or building) a miniature flashpot (loaded with some flash paper or powder) embedded within a gimmicked candle, and setting it off remotely.

If I figure this one out... I'll be more than happy to spread the good news.

Take care.

-Pete Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
A self lighting one could be done a number of ways without wires or even a remote control.

I will Pm you a thought or two on that, that I got from an old self lighting candle, that I almost dented my forehead smacking myself, when I saw how simple it was.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
There is a good way to light a candle. A flash is seen and next second the candle is lit. The chandelier has to be appropriate and it must have a glo plug installed in the base where the candle is put. Some Flash wool is placed on the Glo Plug and a piece of flash string is attached to the wool and goes up to the candle wick and tied to it. It is better to wetten the candle wick with some butane, for easy lighting.
Another thing. The glo plug needs to be connected with a remote controlled device, which may be put inside the candle base. Then move back, switch on the remote and enjoy the scene as fire goes up the candle and lights it up.
Firely yours,
Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

I think I may have solved the problem...in theory only, however. If anyone is interested, PM me and we'll bounce some ideas back and forth.

-P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flashing Candle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL