The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » rope routine for the table hopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
looking for something strong that resets and doesn't use lots of pocket space, ie. professors nightmare. Any suggestions?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Why not the Professor's Nightmare, with suitable (for you, and the venue) story line?

I've been doing it as a table-hopping piece for about 10 years now; the theme is my mythical Uncle Linguini and why he isn't here tonight.

Failing that, check out George Sands' Sandsational, or part of it.

I use just the cut and restored section (twice) and it is a killer!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
I’m working on what to say when I do this one, and have come upon this question. When you do the prof’s nightmare, as far as the effect goes, do you just show the ropes, stretch ’em, show ’em again, restore ’em and then show ’em a third time? That just seems really quick to me, which may not be a bad thing. Just wondering how people perform this one, as I haven’t ever seen it performed. Thanks.

Matt
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
That's right, Matt.

I show the ropes, fold them and stretch them, show them each the same size; fold them again, and then show them as different sizes, as in the beginning.

But that doesn't really mean much.

What's important is what happens in between:

The patter, the bits, the asides.

And it's taken me 10 years to build it up to where it is today.

If necessary, it can run 30 seconds or 5 minutes, or anything in between (although 5 minutes can seem like forever when you are performing -- and even longer if you are watching! Smile )

I've done it more than 6,000 times table hopping and in standup shows, and I can wrap it up just about anywhere if something comes up (like the food arriving early, another guest joining the table, or a lynch mob showing up!)

It's definitely worth learning but, if you learn it, PUHLEEZE! learn it well. And put a lot of thought into the story line that you use with it.

Bob Carver's rope miracle is just too good to be treated with disrepect.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
Thanks Peter. Right now my story deals with me trying to pick out the right size string bikini for my wife. I believe the story is done, now I just need a few gags. Hmmmm. Seems like somewhere I saw someone had some lecture notes available that dealt with writing humorous patter. What was his name again . . . Oh well.

Thanks again.

Matt
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hmmm, Matt, I think you're right.

Now what WAS his name?

Oh, yes; me! Smile

BTW, I really like the idea of the ropes as bikini parts! That story line is definitely worth pursuing; it could be very good.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Here's a great bit if you want to do a version of Professor's Nightmare (PN) tablehopping...

Use three rounded shoelaces (cut to miniaturized PN specs and with the ends knotted) and put them into a standard Bicycle card box. Ask someone (preferably a young, precocious boy), "Would you like to see a CARD TRICK or a rope trick? A CARD TRICK or a rope trick. You get to choose." When you say "CARD TRICK", emphasize the phrase and shove the box toward him as if you're trying to force him, in a very amateurish fashion, to say "card trick." He'll probably say "rope trick." That's great.

You then snap your fingers and dump out the miniature "ropes" and continue on with the PN.

A great opening gag that works well for tablehopping as the "props" fit nicely in your jacket pocket.

I do a modified version of Daryl's rope routine in this fashion and it gets a great reaction.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
check out James Lewis's video "Million Dollar Mysteries", he does professor's nightmare in a very different way and his presentation is along the lines of hypnotizing the audience.

Thats a great idea Geoff I'll have to try it out!
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Being a baseball fan I use a patter of the ropes indicating the different lengths of the season. The short is season over by all star break, mid is in the playoffs and long is going all the way thru October. IF you use the version where the ropes all become one (which I don't care for) then the long one could be winning the series. Of course the handling is standard.

Go Cubs.
Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Aldo Colombini's "Ringing Around Too!" is also a great routine for strolling.
http://www.mammamiamagic.com
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-01-28 00:44, Geoff Williams wrote:
[...]
You then snap your fingers and dump out the miniature "ropes" and continue on with the PN.
[...]

This is a very minor point, and please don't consider it a personal criticism, but why would you "snap your fingers?"

It seems to me that the point of the card box by-play is to have a little fun with your audience and establish that you are a fun guy with a few good-natured surprises up your sleeve. But when you snap your fingers you imply that magic has occured. Are you suggesting that your audience is being asked to believe that you magically made a full deck of cards (which they never actually see) vanish and that some small pieces of
"rope" have appeared instead? I certainly hope not.

I think the action of snapping your fingers should be carefully reserved for those times when a real "miracle" is to take place, not as a throw-away gesture to signal ANY forth-coming climax that is merely cute, but ISN'T actually magical.

Again, this isn't directly about you, Geoff. I see magicians make magical gestures all the time when there is no real reason - other than to somehow UNNECESSARILY accent a segue or other non-magical occurrence.
I personally think it's a mistake that weakens one's performance.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-02-12 20:28, Thomas Wayne wrote:

This is a very minor point, and please don't consider it a personal criticism, but why would you "snap your fingers?"

It seems to me that the point of the card box by-play is to have a little fun with your audience and establish that you are a fun guy with a few good-natured surprises up your sleeve. But when you snap your fingers you imply that magic has occured. Are you suggesting that your audience is being asked to believe that you magically made a full deck of cards (which they never actually see) vanish and that some small pieces of "rope" have appeared instead? I certainly hope not.

Thomas,

It's a JOKE. The audience isn't SUPPOSED to believe any magic has happened. The snapping of the fingers further highlights the ridiculousness of the obviously-lame
"miracle." It's all done with mock seriousness in such a way that is all-too obvious to the spectators.

You're taking my comedy WAY too seriously!

Ha!

majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
Have you ever thought of Professor's Nightmare in Color. Been doing this for years.

Just My 3 cents

Randy
AIMC with Silver Star
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Major,
Please tell us more of this Professors Nightmare with colored ropes (or did I read it wrong?)
Ted (Leondo)
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Prof's Nightmare with colored ropes -- isn't this a Timothy Wenk idea? Seems like I associate that idea with that name...

As for the rope routine I use table hopping, I do Full Circle which is part prof nightmare and part ring on rope.

Also, instead of ring and string moves with a borrowed ring, I use Troy Hooser's "Charming Chinese Challenge" which is a fun routine using "Chinese" coins and a piece of ribbon. Looks nice and no risk of dropping a borrowed ring. Worth looking into!

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-02-15 08:51, Joe M. Turner wrote:
Prof's Nightmare with colored ropes -- isn't this a Timothy Wenk idea? Seems like I associate that idea with that name...

I don't know if Timothy Wenk released a PN version in color but I DO remember that his PN version called "Insomnia" contained illustrations using colored ropes to make learning the routine less confusing. Maybe that's where you got that idea?

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I think it was an Ali Bongo idea. You stretch the ropes but they don't go back to original sizes.

Paul.
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
you are right Geoff, Tim Wenks version of PN did include a booklet with colored ropes illustrated for easy learning, but the ropes were actually all white. I remember a color version of PN that was out about 14 years ago and it came from Japan. It was a mess to work as well as try to figure out. I'm sure if Ali Bongo came up with one, it must be worth looking into, do you remember its name, or availability Paul?
All the Best
Alex
card crazy
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Alex, you mean that you did not understand that complicated color rope routine? just joking, Yes it was from Japan, and thankfully short lived as it was very poor.
I also am going to search to see if I can find a version by Bongo in my library or a reference to it in a catalog someplace. Maybe Paul Hallas has some light that can be shed on it. Years back when we carried a lot of props from Robbins (Pre-India Magic days),we carried a nice colored linking rope outfit made in Hungary, alas that is no lonmger made, but Bob King makes a very nice set of colored linking ropes that is well worth looking into. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out about a Bongo version of Professors Nitemare in color,
See Ya
Marty
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Anyone have any experience with some of the Pavel Rope effects?

Are they only suitable for parlor and stage work?

I'm kinda curious about Pavel's "Phenomenal Rope Trick"...

http://www.stevensmagic.com/summertext/pavelropes.asp#trick2
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » rope routine for the table hopper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL