We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids wears magician costume. Magician behind him performs magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 02:28, The Great Smartini wrote:

I would recommend that you use a chair with a solid back. Simply turn the chair backwards and sit on it. You then place the child in front of you and voila' you have a barrier between you and the child (sad but necessary). The child then stands in front of you and you put on the outfit. Sitting on the chair also brings you to the right height. I use the Kevin James version and enjoy the fact that it folds pretty flat.

Smartini

Great solution!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
itsmagic
View Profile
Special user
middle earth
969 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Where would you find a chair w/solid back that doesn't weigh a lot? I guess you can borrow it from the client.

For those that close w/this & get repeat bookings as a result of the fantasy magician, do you also perform a suspension (ala chair suspension) effect? Which one plays stronger?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of kenscott
The effect is different for different audiences. My routine Fantasy magician does very well when there is a lot of adults present. Kids really don't get the humor of the tux.

So kids would rather see the chair I guess but the adults would rather see the tux.

However, I do both of the routines in my family shows.

Ken
itsmagic
View Profile
Special user
middle earth
969 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Where would you find a chair w/solid back that doesn't weigh a lot? I guess you can borrow it from the client.

For those that close w/this & get repeat bookings as a result of the fantasy magician, do you also perform a suspension (ala chair suspension) effect? Which one plays stronger?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I saw Ken Scott perform the "Fantasy Magician" effect at Kidabra 2006, and after finally seeing it in person I must admit that my suggestion that some people might suggest that the effect is improper, etc. was way off base, and I stand corrected. Ken does an excellent job of cueing the helper and both my wife and I agree that it is a great routine. Great job Ken!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7141 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Shawn Farquhar also does an impressive job with his presentation of the Instant Magician. He used it as part of his stage show at this year's PCAM Convention, and it has been a part of his show for years.

(I think his is custom made, not a commercial one.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Thanks Marvello. Fantasy magician is my favorite routine. And yes Shawn has a great routine that he does.

Ken
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1464 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
What is the best type of hat to use with this effect? The one I have seen are large top hats. Where can these be purchased?
Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3782 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I, personally, don't like placing hats on children unless they are allowed to keep them. Having been the victim of head lice from a birthday child putting my hat on his head when I wasn't looking ... I try to avoid this angry accusation from parents. So...anytime I use a hat, I price it into the show and the child walks away with it. My preference.

I buy the thin plastic party top hats in bulk to use with this effect. After the effect, the child walks away with his own top hat and magic wand as keepsakes. My opinion.

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
lutherwest
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of lutherwest
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2006, The Bonnie Kids wrote:
Do you recognize it?
The kid sits on a high chair, he wears a magic hat and a magic jacket.
Magician behind him enters in "his sleeves" and performs some tricks.
Should I do this by myself or is it available in some Top Baby dress online shopping?
(Only the jacket....).

The Bonnie Kids

Hello,
I also like that magic hat and jacket. If you get any information about that where we can get it. Then, PM me...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3379 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Skip,

Thank you for mentioning the Head Lice issues and a solution.

I think we are often oblivious to this or think that because it is a Magic Show done in good fun that we don't have to worry about it.

-Mary Mowder
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7141 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2006, Dennis Michael wrote:
Ken Scott has the best and it looks like a real tux: See:
http://www.kenscottproducts.com/FantasyMagician.html

This link seems to be now out of date. Things change in 11 years (it happens when someone posts on an old thread, and brings it back to the top).

Here's the current link, for anyone looking for the prop in June 2017:

http://www.kenscottproducts.com/_p/prd1/......magician

Or just find it on his website:

http://www.kenscottproducts.com

I heard that Ken recently performed this at "Trix in the Stix" in the UK, and it was a big hit.

- Donald

P.S. Here's a helpful addition that has been mentioned on other threads on the topic of the "Instant Magician":

http://www.smmagic.com/?p=206
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1450 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I took out one of my favorite and funniest routine with a kid and the top hat all because of a customer comment about checking the hat for lice before I put it on any child's head.
Ricky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids wears magician costume. Magician behind him performs magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL