The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Cheer's and a Tie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Just got a 30' hank of rope today and decided to make out of it 1) A Tarbell's Rope Mystery, 2) a Professor's Nightmare and 3) a Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope Trick. Three routines for the price of one (plus the requiredses for the Tarbell)...

Anyway, for the past almost 30 years, I've seen Prof. Cheer's in the catalogs but never paid it much mind. For some reason, I thought today it might actually be a fun routine and decided to work on it. But I wanted something else besides the underpants and decided on a tie, which is the last thing you'll see me wearing unless it's a formal affair. While I know that the routine is perfect as it is for many, many magicians, I wanted something that fit more with my own schtick and the tie seems to be it.

Has anyone else used other articles of clothing besides the requisite boxers? I'm probably gonna try it out tomorrow at my monthly preschool visit and see how it plays.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Er...um... I don't know how to ask this, but what are you doing with a tie in your pants? Now, if you actually happen to be wearing a tie, and when you do the final tug on the rope, you act as if it is choking you, and suddenly you pull the tie out of your pants and the one around your neck disappears (or maybe is actually attached to the rope and you just have a slip knot so it can pull off your neck... that might work. Another ploy might be to enter wearing a tie, but take it off early in your performance and put it in your jacket pocket... then apparently want to put it back on, but it seems to have disappeared. Every once in a while you look through your pockets wondering where your tie has gone. Then when you do Prof. Cheer, you discover where it went.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Yeah, I was wondering myself what the reason would be to pull a tie out of my pants leg. Maybe a pair of socks, or better yet, one sock, and say, "Oh, THAT'S where that sock went!" I was also thinking of a t-shirt.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The sock is definitely funnier. Get a pair with a wild design. Wear opne sock on the foot of the leg you'll use to pull the rope out of, and no sock on the other foot. The sock attached to the rope could have a huge hole in the toe that you can stick your fingers through. Much funnier!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Thanks - this sounds like more of a gag, and I was also thinking of one of those socks with the five separate toes amongst others. Lots to chooses from.

Oh, I debuted the Cow Trick at the day care today and they kept asking where the milk came from - thanks again for all your advice on that.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Hmmm, just thought, hows about a rubber chicken? That'd certainly be unexpected...
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
You and logic don't collide in magic do ya?
Steve V
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
What, me logic?
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Panty hose?
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Suspenders might also work.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Thin I've found the object I want to use, and it does actually make sense when it appears at the end; my wallet.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I always keep my wallet in my underwear!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Well, we all know how normal and every-day pulling foot after foot of rope out of one's pant legs is... Then again, the whole premise of the trick is a bit on the absurd side in the first place, so ultimately involving the fish wouldn't be out of the ordinary, either.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Can't believe anybody who's seen Prof. (Charles) Cheer's Comedy Rope Trick in a catalog didn't buy it! It's been a staple opener for 15 years for me. All you have to do is make sure you have the right type rope, and change out your boxers occasionally....right now, I have blue boxers with yellow rubber duckys on 'em. MUCH better than the standard white ones that come with it. I also never found a need for the updated version with the harness. I can set this thing up in total darkness and be completely rigged to go in about 2 minutes. If you get really good, you don't even need a trip to the bathroom, just a little minor privacy to set it up.

Steve
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Whoever suggested Panty Hose hit it... that's the funniest possible.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think I have seen this routine performed over the years by maybe 3 or 4 times by 3 or 4 different performers and on each occassion it was met with total indifference and a silence that was only gentle broken by the sound of an uncomfortable and embarresed audience shifting awkardly in their seats. This is just how I imagined it would be recieved when I 1st read of this routine n many years ago.

Maybe as a parody or a pastishe I can see that it might be funny but only in the same way that a Charlie Chaplin movie is funny. (ie It's recognisable as being funny it's just that no one seems to laugh out loud at it)

Am I alone on this? Professor Cheers advocates please feel free to give me a good verbal beating over this if it makes you feel better. Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Cheer's and a Tie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL