We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.F. Bay Area & NorCal magician Check In (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16..19..22..25..28~29~30 [Next]
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I'm in SF, near the zoo and the lake. My son (14) and I have been learning magic for about six months. He's a real natural, I think. I'm progressing a little more slowly.

We stop by Misdirections fairly often. It's great to have a resource like Joe around. We've seen the lectures by Jay Scott Berry, Luke Jermay, Curtis Kam, and Martin Lewis, and they've all been great. We've seen Jay at the lectures, too.

We've been to Magic and More a couple of times, and plan to go even more. It's great to be so close to the action.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I just performed my first trick with the pass for my coworkers (who include a former full-time magician), so now I consider myself a true magician.

I also have bought wayyyy too many books and videos. I'm currently completely entranced by Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles. What a great book!

I was going to go to the S.A.M. 2 meeting last week, but wasn't sure if it was still active. Those doubts were assuaged when I got my first M-U-M and saw the report from their last meeting (complete with photo). My son goes to Lowell, and his substitute Italian teacher is a member of S.A.M. 2.

I definitely need to check out California Magic, from what I've read in this thread!

The Café is great, and I've learned a lot here.

///ark
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
428 Posts

Profile of calamari
WELCOME !!
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3124 Posts

Profile of gaddy
That is a great idea. A "non-denominational" magic-fest would really help to stir the pot and infuse all the attendees with new ideas. When IS the last time sf bay/nor cal had a conclave anyhow?

I would think such a gathering would have to be in Martinez, Petaloma or SanFran. Having a local magic shop near by would seem to be a requirement to me.

any other ideas?

G

Quote:
On 2007-02-15 23:25, Bryan Gilles wrote:
Hey Guys!

It's me again... From Redding Cali. (yah... way up here!). Anyway, we'll be having another night of magic in two weeks (the 27th from 6pm-9pm). If anyone is interested, we would love to meet some of you guys from the bay area and in between... Maybe we can arrange some magic-fest or something in the near future to get all of us "NorCal magicians" together for one big shin-dig!

PM me if you are interested in our magic meeting this month (again... the 27th).

-Bryan Gilles
Rags make paper,
Paper makes money,
Money makes banks,
Banks make loans,
Loans make beggars,
Beggars make...
...rags
-Anonymous, circa early 1700's
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of calamari
If there is enough interest in something like this, I think it would be a blast.
I would be willing to contribute some time in helping to plan / organize a Nor-Cal magic gathering, let's see what others think about it, maybe we could get something together for this summer.
if nothing else maybe a BBQ / picnic ...

Rich
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Hey Rich,
I agree that something like this would be a blast. Let me know if you need a hand in planning.

Doug
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Rich, I've PM'd you. This is a fantastic idea, and has been on my mind for some time. I'm down for assisting planning this. Should we start a new thread discussing this to generate ideas?
-rk
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3124 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm so bummed out that SF's "Magic and More" is no more...

Last Saturday was the final show in the current venue and I don't think Fred A. or Glenn M. have a new space lined up. I was talking to Dorian Rhodell between our sets and he commented on the irony of having, just recently, built up larger audiences just as the term of the venue expired. There must have been 30 people there!

Not bad for a totally independent magic show with a 20$ cover charge...

Let's hope they can find a new space soon enough to re-build the momentum quickly!
Rags make paper,
Paper makes money,
Money makes banks,
Banks make loans,
Loans make beggars,
Beggars make...
...rags
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
I caught the Eye On The Bay segment on California Magic last Thursday. Everybody looked good. I saw a lot of familiar faces.

Rich, did Channel 5 tape the whole segment in one day?

Dan
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of calamari
Well, they did the bits in the shop on a Thursday afternoon (only time the eye crew had available to shoot) so the show stuff was stock footage Gerry provided. I wish they had been able to shoot during an actual show night so they could have captured more of the atmosphere of the place. all in all in was a pretty good segment. the Eye on the Bay crew choose all the footage that was shown so I was pleased that they choose mark and I for some of it.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5556 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hey Rich,

Do you know when the OMC auction is? Post it here and PM me as well please.
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of calamari
I have looked for the OMC auction info and can"t find anything. anyone else know when this is?
Rich
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to tell you to "save the date" of Wednesday, April 18th, at 7:00 p.m. S.A.M. #112 will be having a lecture at California Magic in Martinez. The guest lecturer will be Mark Mason. I haven't seen him lecture before, but I have heard he is worth seeing!

Prices are $10.00 for S.A.M. #112 Assembly Members and $15.00 for non-members. Either way, its a great price so I hope to see some of you Café members there! The last event with Bob Sheets was a huge success!

So why not come out for a night of magic and fun? As always, Gerry and Laura are the perfect hosts for our events! Many thanks to them for their continued support! Can't say enough great things about them --- so if you haven't stopped by for a night out for magic dinner theatre, I hope you can soon!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5556 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Marc Mason lectures ROCK!!!!!!!!

I have seen him twice. Fun, Funny, and you will learn some killer magic!!!!!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5556 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
This off the Oakland Magic Circle web site. The annual auction will be held on Tuesday April 3rd. For those who do not know this event is typically the largest flea market and live auction in the Bay Area. It draws people from 100s of miles away to partake in the fun and great deals to be had.

See you there!

Tom
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3124 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Here is a link to that site:

http://www.oaklandmagiccircle.com/
Rags make paper,
Paper makes money,
Money makes banks,
Banks make loans,
Loans make beggars,
Beggars make...
...rags
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Wow -- okay, let me say that again -- WOW! What a night at California Magic! It's almost midnight and our family of 3 is so jazzed up after coming home from Gerry Griffin's California Magic Dinner Theatre that I doubt any of us will be getting sleep anytime soon! Tonight's headliner was Gregory Wilson. He put on an amazing performnce! But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The evening started off with some great walkaround magic by our own local magicians who are always entertaining and jovial. The food divine, of course! The service, excellent.

Gerry, as always, made an excellent host and had us all chuckling with his humor. Especially that little bit about the "brush" - ahem. The opener for the evening was Cal Magic's very own house magician, Joel Paschall, who is always a family favorite.

The headliner: Gregory Wilson! OMGosh, he was so awesome! He had the three of us laughing so hard! His act was amazingly entertaining, which I think was proved by the reaction from the crowd.

This was the first time he has appeared at California Magic, but for those of you who are lucky enough to have tickets for tomorrow night --- you are in for a real treat! Unfortunately, if you don't already have tickets, they're sold out! A real bummer, because even if you saw him tonight, he's worth going back again to see tomorrow!

After the show we had the best time just visiting with him. He is so nice, so funny, and extremely enjoyable to chat with. He made a huge impression on our daughter, and she is still beaming at having the opportunity to rub elbows with him and chat it up. In her words, "he's awesome!"

Aside from all of that, it was just fun seeing our friends again and watching them do walk-around magic and having the opportunity to see them in their element.

I know I have said this repeatedly, but I mean it whole-heartedly, if you haven't yet experienced the "magic" that is California Magic -- then you need to experience it for yourself! It is the best way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening!

~ Kristen
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5556 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Just a little over one more week to get your stuff together for the OMC Magic Auction and Flea Market.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Special user
California
965 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2007-03-09 10:45, magic4ewe wrote:
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to tell you to "save the date" of Wednesday, April 18th, at 7:00 p.m. S.A.M. #112 will be having a lecture at California Magic in Martinez. The guest lecturer will be Mark Mason. I haven't seen him lecture before, but I have heard he is worth seeing!

Prices are $10.00 for S.A.M. #112 Assembly Members and $15.00 for non-members. Either way, its a great price so I hope to see some of you Café members there! The last event with Bob Sheets was a huge success!

So why not come out for a night of magic and fun? As always, Gerry and Laura are the perfect hosts for our events! Many thanks to them for their continued support! Can't say enough great things about them --- so if you haven't stopped by for a night out for magic dinner theatre, I hope you can soon!

Mark Mason you say? Hmmmmmm, I believe I shall attend. Thanks for the update.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5556 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Today is the day!

OMC auction!! Lots of magic will change hands, don't miss out.

See you in Oakland.
Ronin
View Profile
Regular user
Martinez,CA
200 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Shoot Ogawa will be giving a lecture and a workshop on the Ninja Rings in Palo Alto (sponsored by SAM 94). His new 2-hour lecture has something for all skill levels, from Beginners to Advanced. Lecture starts at 7:30 PM at the First Lutheran Church, Homer and Webster, Palo Alto. It is free for members of S.A.M. 94, $30 for all others. Don't miss this rare opportunity to learn from one of the brightest stars in the magic galaxy.

The workshop will focus on the Ninja Rings and will take place the following night, Tuesday April 10th at 7:30 p.m. at Apple Corp., Mission Impossible Conference Room, 2 infinite Loop, Cupertino CA. The cost of the workshop is $80 and includes a set of Ninja Rings.If you already own a set, you must bring them with you and admission is $65. You must book in advance as space is extremely limited! For more information or to reserve a space, please contact Kim Silverman at kimsilv@mac.com .
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.F. Bay Area & NorCal magician Check In (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16..19..22..25..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL