The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three shell game with plastic bottle caps? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
I have been using the School for Scoundrels shells for my three shell game routine. However, I would like to try a three shell type routine with plastic bottle caps, to have the apparatus more closely resemble the street version of the game. Plastic bottle caps of course do not offer the same advantages as the shells, if you know what I mean. Are there any references and/or sources of special plastic bottle caps for doing the three shell game with plastic bottle caps?
Thanks.
Richard
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Funny that you should mention this.

I have 3 dark blue and 3 white caps from water bottles right here. The idea being to explore an impromptu game.
I'm still considering what to use for the 'pea' and really haven't messed with a routine yet. Using a Tic Tac is one idea and paper match heads another.

Like I said, I haven't experimented yet but am thinking that some moves from published Shell Game routines will work.

Good luck and ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong, Smile
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hi Jaz,
Thanks for your response. I hope others "chime in" as well with ideas. >Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong< - almost like a code for those in the know - or perhaps just a sign of recognition from one old (I meant to older) guy to another. Smile In any case - very nice! I'm a big doo-wop/rhythm and blues fan.
Richard
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Anytime Rich.

There was many a time my gang and I would sing about Diamonds & Pearls and Earth Angels accapella style. Got a few ovations too.

I'll keep an eye on this topic.
Let me know how you make out with this.

Till Then Smile,
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hey Jaz,
I just checked out your web page. Wonderful pieces of art work related to magic there. I'll keep you in mind if ever I need some custom pieces designed.
Richard
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I used to do the shell game using bottle caps all the time. It is definitely harder to do. There are certain moves that are actually easier to do with the bottle caps. There's a lot to it. You cannot simply transfer shell techniques to bottle caps. They require a whole different approach. One of these days I'm going to sit down and type it all up.

Jim
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
This may not be what you are looking for. But what about using a small piece of sponge or foam with a close up pad. Just a thought.

Joe
FilipinoFreak
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FilipinoFreak
I did a little experimenting with this and came up with a knotted up rubberband and paper as the working surface. It is not an original idea though. I think I may have read about in these forums. Make sure your rubberband "pea" isn't too big, otherwise its rollout will cause the cap to lift too much. I haven't taken much further than finding the right materials. I should really play around with it more.

Jim, it would be great if you published some of your techniques. I really enjoy the shell game but am interested in making it an impromtu or less formal sort of deal.

-Chris
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2006-07-26 05:39, doowopper wrote:
Are there any references and/or sources of special plastic bottle caps for doing the three shell game with plastic bottle caps?
Thanks.
Richard

At the School For Scoundrels message board there is a thread on that subject under The Three Shell game.

rick-
Self concept is destiny..
Balthazar
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Balthazar
I was on a subway train in Chicago a couple months ago and watched a gang of three use plastic Sprite bottle caps and a red pencil eraser to separate a guy from $600 in less than 5 minutes. They took off at the next stop and jumped onto the northbound train for a little more activity.

The operator had some moves I've never seen before - one in particular that I couldn't follow for anything.

After they left the guy and his girlfriend sat there dumbfounded. I asked how much they lost. He told me and said "I don't know how I lost. It was right there." I told him it was a scam and he was going to lose as soon as he agreed to play. He asked me why I hadn't told him it was a scam when I saw he was playing. I apologized, but really, I don't have the skill necessary to stop three big guys when the only weapon I have is a cup of Starbucks.
gump
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gump
Quote:
Are there any references and/or sources of special plastic bottle caps for doing the three shell game with plastic bottle caps?
The book "The Real Work: Essential Sleight of Hand for Street Operators" by Paul Price has a chapter on the Three Shell Game using plastic bottle caps (from 2-liter soda bottles).
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2006, FilipinoFreak wrote:
I did a little experimenting with this and came up with a knotted up rubberband and paper as the working surface. It is not an original idea though. I think I may have read about in these forums. Make sure your rubberband "pea" isn't too big, otherwise its rollout will cause the cap to lift too much. I haven't taken much further than finding the right materials. I should really play around with it more.

Jim, it would be great if you published some of your techniques. I really enjoy the shell game but am interested in making it an impromtu or less formal sort of deal.

-Chris

"You can't smart'n up a chump"

W.C. Fields
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Bob Sheets dvd - Bob's Three Shell Boot Camp".
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It seems to me that all of the bottle caps that I see in the super markets, are all the low profile caps. The caps used to be higher, looked better, and were easier to handle
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
YOUTUBE BRICK TILLEY THREE SHELL GAME REVEALED done with clear shells on pool table felt.soft foam pea...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
ato
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of ato
Is Brick Tilley still alive - and contactable?
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Very much alive...google him for contact info...he's got nearly 50 trick thins on lybrary.com. unusual material...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
'Easy Monte' by Colin Gilbert looks interesting. Sold by....

Magictricks.co.uk

The effect appears to be a monte using three black plastic bottle tops.

I think I can guess at the methodology. There is a video of the effect on the site. Both 'empty' loser caps can be shown each time in a very fair fashion to be clearly empty.

Although no gaffed monte can supass the genuine article this gaffed version is the best I have seen (better than the brass cap coin monte).

If anyone owns this, (without giving the workings away on an open forum) is this worth the money? Is it any good?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2006, gump wrote:
Quote:
The book "The Real Work: Essential Sleight of Hand for Street Operators" by Paul Price has a chapter on the Three Shell Game using plastic bottle caps (from 2-liter soda bottles).

Used copies $40.00 to $114.00
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Chris B
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Chris B
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, ringmaster wrote:
Used copies $40.00 to $114.00

Definitely not worth those prices. A student of the shells would do better to seek the works of Tom Osborne, and Eddie Joseph. Nothing in the Paul Price work is specific to bottle caps, apart from the fact they're used for demonstration.

Quote:
On Feb 19, 2017, jakeg wrote:
It seems to me that all of the bottle caps that I see in the super markets, are all the low profile caps. The caps used to be higher, looked better, and were easier to handle

Although this comment is old, I thought I would post some information for any UK players using caps. Bottles of Sarsons vinegar (500ml, or 1 pint) come with a nice high profile and sturdy cap, without the rubber gasket usually present on soft drinks caps. Remove the use by date with a touch of solvent, and job's a good'n. Only problem is the caps are not white, but if anyone knows a source for white caps of a similar build, let me know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three shell game with plastic bottle caps? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL