The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5493 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Or is it, "Correct, sir."?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
In English, possessive pronouns haven't apostrophes.

True. But what other pronouns are ever contracted orthographically?

The problem, as I see it, is that the spelling rules we learned in school were *both* phonological AND grammatical, and there is orthographical tension between the two.

Grammar, phonology, orthography: these things blend--or fail to blend--too much for people to get all huffed up and persnickety. Yet we do. I do, too.

I myself blame not only the French, but Willm Shakspere.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
of the WI having made 5 tier cakes with
4055 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2006, pradell wrote:
I Did the emoticon I typed in show up in the right place? Are any links properly highlighted? Does it look like it is ready for everyone to see? This is also a good tip for anyone who emails to others: review, spell check, and/or print the email out and look at it before hitting the "send" button.

:magicrabbit:

No the emoticon isn't working... Unless you intended it that way. Smile
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
of the WI having made 5 tier cakes with
4055 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2006, Muckey Spleen wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 20:15, TannerJade wrote:
Good advice Smile

Also, I recommend the GOOGLE toolbar, which has a button on it called "Check" and it is a GREAT spell check, that will take the writing write of what you are typing ON the Café, so there is not need for copying and pasting...

Tanner

Of course, as long as what you misspelled is still a word (just the wrong one), spellcheck programs will give it the nod, as demonstrated in the above post. Smile
Nothing beats a careful proofread.

I can do "careful proofread"ing until the cows come home. I will still probably miss my own errors. It's part of my dyslexia. When I'm on my PC I have access to Text Help Read and Write Gold which will read it back to me, allow me to check for homophones and then read it to me again. It's a great tool, it also lets me put a digital coloured filter up on my screen to help with my Irlen syndrome too! It's not a cheap program though. I have a similar app on my iPad ... It's not as easy to use as the PC version.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL