The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 08:30, sweetskulls wrote:
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.

Mine would have to be the use of the word "loose" instead of "lose". It drives me nuts.

It's quite common on a few boards I frequent and I have seen people referred to as being a "looser" on many occasions. Begging the question, looser than what? Something tight?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Do the magicians a favor, and look up how to spell their names correctly...and not butcher them....like
Harry Loraine
Dye Vernon
Alex Heckler....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Fully agree with Joseph on spelling the names correctly.
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
I'm not the best at grammar, but I always double check me spelling with an online spell checker

http://www.spellcheck.net/
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-10-19 04:44, Darth_Prime wrote:
I'm not the best at grammar, but I always double check me spelling with an online spell checker

http://www.spellcheck.net/

If you download this tool http://www.iespell.com/download.php (or find one of the many similar ones) it puts a spell-checker into your browser. So no need to go to another site to check.
James Crosbie
View Profile
New user
London
33 Posts

Profile of James Crosbie
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 08:30, sweetskulls wrote:
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.

All the ones quoted so far are definite (!) annoyances. However, my biggest frustration is "it's" and "its" - where the former should only be used as a shortened version of 'it is', and the latter used for the possessive meaning. I see this everywhere, and seems to be a basic lesson not taught anymore.

*phew* Rant over.

What a lovely day it is today...
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
For a proper name, I’ll often cut-and-paste, just to make sure it’s correct. Google will often help with suggestions as you type.

Possessives and contractions can trip a lot of people. English has many homonyms, which just adds to the fun.

their / they’re / there
your / you’re
to / too / two
buy / by / bye
cent / sent / scent
hear / here
pair / pear / pare
raise / raze / rays
vane / vein / vain

That’s also one of the reasons English is so useful for wordplay. Much of our humor is constructed from the hearer’s initially misinterpreting a given word.

MS-Word is a fairly common program that includes a spell checker [F7], but it won’t catch most mistakes of that kind. It also has an auto-correct feature that “watches” as you type, and catches many spelling errors. I’ll often type my message there, then cut and paste into the forum text box.

Then, as pradell says, read it again online, and edit if necessary.

{Humorous footnote} A while back I overheard a teacher explaining to some students that in English there is no second-person plural. I couldn’t help interjecting that, at least in the South, we have “Y’all”!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
blackskirt
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of blackskirt
Definately.. opps I mean definitely. oops I mean oops!
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
I you use google chrome (just search google for download) it has a spell checking feature.
Sallymagi
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Sallymagi
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
Great little program! Love it! Thanks!
Magically,

Chris Rochow
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Spelling, a skill no longer taught, we can see errors o TV, newsprint even political campaign signs. Are built in spell checkers to blame? I didn't even know that my iPad had a built in spell checker till I started to use it for these posts!
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
With the vast amount of people on the Internet who never managed to pass their 3rd-grade typing classes, I'd rather have the built-in spellcheckers (even if they do degrade actual spelling ability).
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
My computer is set up to read text back to me. Often, I will proof-read, and read over mistakes. The computer reads what I wrote.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Does anyone even use a dictionary these days?
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
Safari/Apple jut checks it automatically if you ask it.

shift + command + :

Just in case anyone doesn't know the shortcut.
I try to use it as little as possible though otherwise it becomes a crutch and you get lazy. Smile
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
I use a dictionary pocket size comes in handy at times, spelling was not my best subject.
greymagick
View Profile
New user
Spain
53 Posts

Profile of greymagick
This has been said before: many Café users are not native English speakers (myself included). But what I find funny is that most of the spelling errors are usually made by native speakers! This is not surprising, though; it happens in every language. Everyone puts a bit more effort when writing in a language different from his/her own for the same reason one treads more carefully when in unfamiliar territory. Now, about grammar mistakes, that's a horse of a different colour...
- Grey
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I don't really mind grammar mistakes unless they are clearly a result of somebody being lazy. Same with spelling. If you do a pretty good job then it's alright, but if you type lik this cuz you think itz kewl then I won't continue to read your posts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL