The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Sallymagi
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Sallymagi
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
Great little program! Love it! Thanks!
Magically,

Chris Rochow
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Spelling, a skill no longer taught, we can see errors o TV, newsprint even political campaign signs. Are built in spell checkers to blame? I didn't even know that my iPad had a built in spell checker till I started to use it for these posts!
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
With the vast amount of people on the Internet who never managed to pass their 3rd-grade typing classes, I'd rather have the built-in spellcheckers (even if they do degrade actual spelling ability).
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
My computer is set up to read text back to me. Often, I will proof-read, and read over mistakes. The computer reads what I wrote.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Does anyone even use a dictionary these days?
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
Safari/Apple jut checks it automatically if you ask it.

shift + command + :

Just in case anyone doesn't know the shortcut.
I try to use it as little as possible though otherwise it becomes a crutch and you get lazy. Smile
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
I use a dictionary pocket size comes in handy at times, spelling was not my best subject.
greymagick
View Profile
New user
Spain
53 Posts

Profile of greymagick
This has been said before: many Café users are not native English speakers (myself included). But what I find funny is that most of the spelling errors are usually made by native speakers! This is not surprising, though; it happens in every language. Everyone puts a bit more effort when writing in a language different from his/her own for the same reason one treads more carefully when in unfamiliar territory. Now, about grammar mistakes, that's a horse of a different colour...
- Grey
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I don't really mind grammar mistakes unless they are clearly a result of somebody being lazy. Same with spelling. If you do a pretty good job then it's alright, but if you type lik this cuz you think itz kewl then I won't continue to read your posts.
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
I am a French speaker as well as a beginner with magic tricks so it is complicated to write well-built English sentences, especially about close-up ! There are grammatical mistakes even though I use the linguistic tool made by Google !
Italia16
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Italia16
Great topic. Too many people type like they are texting and it gives me a headache trying to "decode" it.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I see you posted this 6 years ago but thanks.
It works great. Just what I needed.
It's better than copying & pasting into an Email program or MS Word.

Ihor

Quote:
On 2006-09-02 16:34, mrunge wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. Smile
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 20:15, Sallymagi wrote:
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.

To me spelling and grammar are important.
It's an indication of education, literacy, laziness, or a mix of these.
A person who cannot write (or speak) proper English (or his native language) is prone not to be taken seriously.
If you really have dyslexia, I apologize and you are exempt. LOL
Ihor
Ihor
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2012-06-01 12:41, TheSphinx wrote:
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike

It's perfectly understandable.
I was referring to being literate in ones' native language.

Ihor
Ihor
Wayne Hardy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hardy
Thanks for the advice I have to admit even though I have written a few short stories I am a terrible speller and do need to check myself constantly.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I think that people looking at this thread will appreciate this:

"The The Impotence of Proofreading," by TAYLOR MALI

http://youtu.be/OonDPGwAyfQ
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
If you like that video, other ones (not specifically about proofreading) by Taylor Mali you might enjoy:

Like_youknow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4

What Teachers Make
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
I need to do a better job of making sure my spelling is correct. I do a lot of writing in my job and spelling is very important, especially on the web. Given that, some of my posts from the last week have been horrendous. It’s the typing, bad typing, that gets me. I pledge to slow down and do a better job.
Philip Busk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL