The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte Date Originated (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I keep hearing that the Color Monte is the "best selling packet trick ever". When was it originated and first marketed? I have a Louis Tannen catalog from 1973 and it doesn't show it. It does show Wild Card and some other packet tricks that are still being marketed.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I think the first version I got was right around 1976. Richard Paddon (also a Café member) compiled an incredible catalog of packet tricks and may be able to help you out with this.
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Refer to Ibidem, Vol.1, 1959, page 303 for Bill Elliott's 3 CARD MONKRY BUSINESS, which is the "precursor" to Color Monte. I think (only think at this moment) that Color Monte appeared earlier than 1973.

Richard
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

That should be, MONKEY.

Richard
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Just found it.

Color Monte - 1968, according MAGIC, Feb 1997, page 22

Richard
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Smile
I knew that you would be the "go to" guy. Hey Richard... I would love to purchase an updated copy of "Packet Magic," if it included dates of creation.

Best regards,
Evan (aka Magiguy)
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Hi Evan.

Thank you for the confidence.

The next updated version will be a pdf file. At this stage I may include dates where possible, but we'll see Smile

I'll be offerring a special deal for those who purchased the limited printed version.

Best cheers,

Richard
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Richard's book is a must have for fans of packet tricks.
I refer to it constantly....it's always got the goods!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-01-01 23:26, silverking wrote:
Richard's book is a must have for fans of packet tricks.
I refer to it constantly....it's always got the goods!

I strongly agree with silverking. Richards book is the ULTIMATE for packet trickoholics. I constntly refer to it as it is the most complete information on packet tricks I have ever seen..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Richard,
for those of who are ignorant of such things can you tell us a bit about your work, such as were it might be obtained, what it covers and the cost?

cheers
bill
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Hi Bill.

The original book was self published, year 2000, plastic comb bound, plastic cover & limited to 50 copies. Called "Packet Magic: A Compilation of Packet Tricks Available from Dealers & Book References".

It is a resouce that lists over 500 packet & packet style tricks found in over 100 books & magazines and over 160 commercial packet tricks. The book references gave book, author & page number. The packet tricks were cross referenced to list in alphabetical order, book title & trick name. It included as a bonus, the instructions for 2 packet tricks.

It is now out of print. I am currently engaged in updating the book. I have already added over 400 extra packet trick references, which now includes CD-rom, DVD/video and e-books, and still adding.

I had contemplated including release dates for the tricks, but this became a nightmare! The pedigree of many packet tricks became most murky.

I will release the new edition as an e-book in pdf form during this year and will announce its availability on The Café. If anyone is interested in being notified when it is ready, please send me a pm. The price will be quite modest.

I hope this helps & will be of use to you.

Best cheers,
Richard
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
I bought my first Color Monte in the late 1970's after seeing it demo'ed by Jim Temple at a magic shop in Virginia. I purchased it and his lecture notes. The trick carried his name (i.e. "Jim Temple's Color Monte")... always loved this little effect. I was wondering if any one knows... was Jim Temple the creator of Color Monte?
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Interesting...I like how the tried and tested great effects for the most part
are the inexpensive ones.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2007-01-20 19:17, sparks wrote:
...was Jim Temple the creator of Color Monte?

That sort of depends on how you view the act of creation. The use of silly looking cards with foil diamonds on them and the $14.00 card are (to the best of my knowledge) his contribution. The idea of using the "Quick Three Way" move in a monte routine and (I believe) the handling used in Color Monte is actually a trick by Bill Elliot called Three Card Monkey Business.

The "move" is Edward Marlo's Quick Three Way display.

So if you consider using different cards to do someone elses card trick "creation" then yes. Color Monte is Jim Temple's presentation of someone else's trick. If you do it with the kiddie cards, you are doing Temple's routine. If, as so many do, you use regular cards and some other sort of kicker card, then you are doing Bill Elliot's trick and should call it by the correct name.

There are way too many folks in magic getting credit for tricks just because folks have seen them do the trick(s). David Blaine's "Two Card Monte" comes to mind (not that it's Blaine's fault he's been credited with the trick.
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 15:44, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-20 19:17, sparks wrote:
...was Jim Temple the creator of Color Monte?

...The use of silly looking cards with foil diamonds on them and the $14.00 card are (to the best of my knowledge) his contribution. The idea of using the "Quick Three Way" move in a monte routine and (I believe) the handling used in Color Monte is actually a trick by Bill Elliot called Three Card Monkey Business.

I'll take that as a “no” Smile .

I whole heartily agree. Taking someone else’s effect (especially if taken move for move) and pasting a new “theme” on it does not make one the “creator” of a new effect. Thanks for the information about the origin of the effect.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Still a great trick. I'm on my 5th set since 1975.
Have fun with it.
Intuition
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Intuition
Does anyone have an idea of how to perform the Color Monte with a borrowed deck?
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
Use the monkey business method and use a Joker as the kicker.

or have a blank or special card in your pocket and palm it in and out I guess...most people around here carry bikes if they carry anything lol I've never seen a person near me have tally ho cards or anything, MABYE a bee deck once in a while so I would just use 2 reg cards and a joker so its TOTALLY IMPROMPTU

DC
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 19:57, Intuition wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of how to perform the Color Monte with a borrowed deck?

Yes, buy the trick and follow the instructions. Which cards to substitute will be obvious.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Love Color Monte. It's one of my most performed card effects and never fails to kill. I love the looks on their faces when the final card is flipped over. Fantastic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte Date Originated (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL