The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and restored silk (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I am looking for a link for information or purchase of a cut and restored silk effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Bryan
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Bryan, I know that there is a cut and resored silk/hankercheif effect taught on The Real Secrets of Magic DVD by David Stone, along with some other wonderful effects!

-Vinnie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Tannens used to sell an effect called Snip-Snap Silk. It's a very clean c&r achieved by draping the silk on a piece of paper and folding the paper over the silk and cutting through both paper and silk. At the end the silk is removed undamaged. I don't recall if this is described in the Rice Encyclopedia. BTW Neil Foster used this in his stage act.

Julie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

This sounds strange coming from the magicians' silk importer, but I do that trick in my Lobbyist routine cutting through red tape. However, I actually use red ribbon!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are a couple of versions described in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 3, and the Phoa Cut and Restored Silk is described in Mark Trimble's Volume 4.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
In Tarbell Course you will find "The Classic" one (which was also performed by Mullica, Henning, etc.)
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
In the Snip-Snap Silk routine the silk is WHOLE at the conclusion and could be used for another effect requiring an ungimmicked silk.

Julie
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Snip-A-Silk is briefly described in Volume II of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, page 620. The complete effect with specially prepared paper, routine, and 18" silk is available at this link
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Snip-A-Silk.htm
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Ruth> thanks for the information!

As it happens, this seems to be a little different from the Snip-Snap silk routine in that in the latter the silk is actually separated into two halves and then restored into one single silk.

Julie
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Thanks for all the help you all have given me. Which of the methods that have been listed here do not use any cover when the silk is cut (tube, paper, ect?).

Thanks and take care,

Bryan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bryan,

Your need for purity will cost you. The method discribed in Tarbell course Vol. 8, I believe, and use to be sold on the market as a stand alone product before it was published uses a new silk for each performance. It is good and startling, but costly.

Tom Mullica used a pocket hanky he borrowed from a spectator. The spectator was surprised when he got home.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
The method used by Phoa Yan Tiong is both startling and magical but, as mentioned by WmH, it will cost you.

Best,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Well I purchased the Tarbell Course Vol 8 just for this effect and I do not see it in there. Can anyone tell me what volume it is in for certain otherwise this could get expensive buying one volume at a time till I find it...........

Thanks,

Bryan
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
"Phoa's Cut and Restored Silk" is found in Tarbell volume 7 (lesson 89) page 312.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Harry,

Could you be specific? LOL

It is hard to beat the basic books. The more time I spend in them, the more convinced I am that "new magic" is usually a function of ignorance of what already exists.

Gee, I thought I invented "take a card". You mean it happened before MTV? But I do it in color! LOL

Discovery never stops if you are open to the possibility that others can think too.

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Is pho as cut restored silk on video / DVDs.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, wally wrote:
Is pho as cut restored silk on video / DVDs.

Not to my knowledge, it is so simple, DVD not necessary. It is Tarbell 7 as stated by Harry Murphy.

Just be warned it uses a new silk each time it is performed.

Tom Mullica performs it with an ordinary men's handkerchief.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I see its that one, I know how it's done, though it maybe the version where you put it in newspaper, thanks,
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Performance by the INVENTOR himself: you tube: Phoa Yan Tiong Cut and Restored Silk
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Phoa's cut and rstored silk is great. and yes it uses a new silk every time. but that is the same as when you do rope tricks. I do the trick in my kids show and it is one of the best magical moments for kids and adults alike.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and restored silk (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL