The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neil Foster's Center Tear (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Wow, this thread is still chuggin' along! When I first watched Neil performing it on Don Alan's "The Magic Ranch" DVD's, I actually clapped for the TV. I'd seen Lance Burton's fire-added version with Variety from his dove act, which was amazing, but seeing the creator himself perform it was a real treat. I still perform it as well as the Anderson, and use Denny Haney's work when doing the Anderson. Both still get the gasps and jaw drops.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I have used the Foster Center Tear for years with great success. It is one of my staples and I love the simplicity. I took it with me to Argentina this summer and audiences gasped with the restore. The only problem I had was the Argentine tabloid I was using has a slight gloss on the paper so my glue stick was iffy on some I prepared. I'm now experimenting on better glue stick. I wasn't really pleased with the Elmer's glue stick (goes on purple and turns clear when dry) for its holding power on the glossy paper. The purple color was handy for application but it lacked in hold.

On a different note, has anyone used USA Today for Center Tear? Thanks for input.

Bruce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 18:41, bkmeyer wrote:
I have used the Foster Center Tear for years with great success. It is one of my staples and I love the simplicity. I took it with me to Argentina this summer and audiences gasped with the restore. The only problem I had was the Argentine tabloid I was using has a slight gloss on the paper so my glue stick was iffy on some I prepared. I'm now experimenting on better glue stick. I wasn't really pleased with the Elmer's glue stick (goes on purple and turns clear when dry) for its holding power on the glossy paper. The purple color was handy for application but it lacked in hold.

On a different note, has anyone used USA Today for Center Tear? Thanks for input.

Bruce

Only use white glue stick from an office supply store. I use to use Pritt, but it is had to find in stores. Just stay away from kids glues.
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of mpicard
I had this years ago and just like Cody I could not figure this out, so never really used it. I am not good at making these things. Ironically before I purchased the Anderson I was told it is complicated but I didn't find any issue with that. Am I wierd?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I love the Center Tear for several reasons. One is simply size. (A bird man doesn't need the larger newspaper coverage.) With a glue stack and a stack of tabloids you can build months of props while watching the news.

I do think that Anderson's is flasher. But on the road, I take the easy way out.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Seeing Neil Foster perform this GREAT trick, among others, at SAM Assembly 8 in St. Louis in 1955 is the reason I became a magician.

This trick was also one of Lance Burton's favorites.....and Lance gave it that special "Lance Touch"....

It's simple, straightforward, elegant, and easier to make up the Gene Anderson's...
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Richard was kind enough to send me some more instructions...but alas...I still can't 'get it'...I know it is probably very simple...and once I 'get it' I will probably do a face palm...anyone want to send me a short iphone video on how to make this in exchange for some of my products?

Cody
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Center Tear, Center Tear Replacements, and Center Tear Instructions (download pdf) are still available at Abbotts and are still a reasonably good seller.

http://abbottmagic.com/Center-Tear-ABBcnttear.htm

http://abbottmagic.com/Center-Tear-Repla......repl.htm

http://abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instructi......tear.htm
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hate to bring up an old topic, but I am also trying and failing to make these papers following the original instructions. If anyone has simplified instructions they are willing to share with me, I would be very grateful.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Maybe this will help, put 2 identical sheet together, then make the folds., Now remove the inner sheet, that will be your performance sheet. The top outer sheet will be your gimmick sheet.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I will look for Neil fosters centre tear, if I buy the normal instructions from Abbotts, would I be able to make spares,
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 21, 2016, wally wrote:
I will look for Neil fosters centre tear, if I buy the normal instructions from Abbotts, would I be able to make spares,

Once you know how it works, you will indeed be able to make spares. Take the advice from those who have posted from 2013 and use glue sticks. And don't make up the gimmick too far in advance.

I'll offer my own tip on this effect here: to make the tear in the paper cleaner, perforate the diamond shape with a pizza wheel. It then tears much cleaner.

FYI - Lance Burton did the Centre Tear in his Hotel Tropicana act for years. So, if you haven't seen it in action, just google Lance on youtube.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Thank you for that advise, I will buy it from Abbotts. Which newspaper do you use here in uk. cheers mate.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 21, 2016, wally wrote:
Thank you for that advise, I will buy it from Abbotts. Which newspaper do you use here in uk. cheers mate.

I used to use the Independent. But, as you are probably aware, it is no longer printed. But any broadsheet will do. How about the Guardian?
MakeYourMagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of MakeYourMagic
Here is a relatively recent video of Lance Burton performing the Neil Foster tear (post Lance’s retirement) while Mac King looks on.

I didn’t realize that in this tear you don’t show the hole in the paper or the back of the paper after the restoration (at least that’s the way Lance did it).

I know this thread hasn’t been active in a while. Hopefully somebody will see this post!
MakeYourMagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of MakeYourMagic
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, MakeYourMagic wrote:

I didn’t realize that in this tear you don’t show the hole in the paper or the back of the paper after the restoration (at least that’s the way Lance did it).

Actually, you show the whole piece that is torn out, no need to actually show the diamond hole. At the end of the effect, the newspaper can be shown on both sides, fully open, and I do just that when I perform it. I would guess Lance did not because with his flow for the act, he wanted to get to the climax of producing the dove.

I also use the newspaper to vanish a broken egg into for my next effect. Then open the newspaper again to show the egg is gone as well. Only to appear in a little black cloth bag, a little later.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, MakeYourMagic wrote:

Actually, you show the whole piece that is torn out, no need to actually show the diamond hole. At the end of the effect, the newspaper can be shown on both sides, fully open, and I do just that when I perform it. I would guess Lance did not because with his flow for the act, he wanted to get to the climax of producing the dove.

I also use the newspaper to vanish a broken egg into for my next effect. Then open the newspaper again to show the egg is gone as well. Only to appear in a little black cloth bag, a little later.

In Lance's stage routine both sides are naturally seen as he tears it again to produce the dove. So no need to show other side and it probably would hurt the flow.

I grew up in Michiana and got to see Neil Foster do it both as part of his act and as a standalone. When done as a standalone he would sometimes fold the corner, unfold it, open the paper showing the creased diamond, close the paper, do the tear, show the torn out diamond, tear it into smaller pieces, and then restore. In the act he showed the paper unfolded, folded it, tore the corner and restored it much like Lance Burton (sans the dove joke). I think his standalone way makes a stronger impact as it reinforces the tearing out of the diamond center.

There is a version where the center hole is shown. It was invented by the very creative Sreenivas. It is a fun version to do at Ring meetings as a magician fooler. Not sure it is any stronger with lay audiences than Foster's original.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Reading through this old thread reminded me that I had not seen Lance's signature act for many years , so off I go to YouTube ...

Yes, as good as I remember.

For future reference of anyone reading this thread about Neil Foster's Center Tear , here is Lance Burton's performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBj_Ifln......be&t=144

Part of what makes this work so well is his seemingly casual handling of the paper by the corners, letting it swing freely several times , then when he rips it apart at the end the audience is led to believe that's the end , but then suddenly another dove appears ! That's a flawless steal. There's nothing he does that telegraphs: "watch closely now , I'm about to make another dove appear." Such a pleasure to watch.

(how did this topic get into "Boxes , Tubes, and Bags" ? This should be under Finger/Stage manipulation I think ...)

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, David Todd wrote:

(how did this topic get into "Boxes , Tubes, and Bags" ? This should be under Finger/Stage manipulation I think ...)

A newspaper tear is not considered to be in the class of manipulation magic, as in the skill and dedication it takes to manipulate items.

The topic of discussion here is newspapers, not what other effects skills the noted performer(s) may have and/or perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neil Foster's Center Tear (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL