The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If You Went Back In TIme... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
If you went back in time to when you first started doing your street performances...

What would be the one, two or three pieces of advice you would give to yourself?

What is it that you know now that you wished you knew then?

George
Bigmagictrout
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
46 Posts

Profile of Bigmagictrout
Knowing that not everyone likes magic. Don't be offended if they are not interested.... And know exactly what you are doing....
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Don't drink a lot of coffee before going out!
or plan for bathroom breaks.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
My advice to myself, or to anyone else, starting out would be;

Buy the Cellini - Art of Street Perfroming Vol I DVD/Video and save yourself a lot of OJT.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I would take Bro Davids advice on the dvd...
Wish I would have read these forums more closly instead of just scanning them too.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Perform more--make a real job out of it instead of only once or twice a week.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Interesting ideas. I guess many of you were satisfied with the way you began your journey.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I agree with rkrahlmann. When I started I was a kid and had no nead to make it work, so if I felt like going to the park I went, if something else came up oh well I'll go tomarow...

All the same I've had fun.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
If, one day when I'm a success, and I happen upon the secret of time travel, I will come back in time, kick myself in the groin, and order myself to practice more.
:eek:
You know, I had better not risk my ever finding the secret of time-travel and the possiblity of a self-inflicted coup-de-groin and just start practicing now.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I would have bought Cellini's book and Whit Hayden's notes first. (I bought another book on street performance first and it sent me down a lot of wrong paths.)

I knew enough magic I just had no concept as to how to apply it to the street. That is the hardest part and the books I mention contained the straight stuff.

(If I was starting today I'd get Cellini and Gazzo's videos)

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Don't perform zombie outside - remember wind will play a large factor if your tricks are not suitable. For example, lots of fine silks and newspaper tearing can be compleatly messed up by strong gusts of wind! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
When you take a break, NEVER sit down (you'll never get back up again!)

This applies pretty much to any performer who is on his or her feet all day.

In fact, the godfather of trade shows, Eddie Tulloch, makes this his Number One suggestion in doing trade-show work.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
WOW! Peter is that good advice! I hardly ever even quit to have lunch. Besides losing my pitch, I have found that Once I sit down and eat I do not want to move again at all and if I do go back to the pitch my show suffers for it. They can tell I'm "mailing it in."

The only time I will break is if I'm splitting a pitch with Sonny or something. If it's a show for me a show for you situation getting frequent breaks are not as bad. But man, if I'm doing two or three hours straight and I decide to sit down, I might as well go home.

Oh, but I always drink A LOT of water between shows. Nothing light passing out from heat in the middle of the cups and balls. It really kills your hat! Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have faith in yourself,what you do and the punters,they are not as bad as you think (Well not all of them).
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Quote:
On 2003-01-19 07:57, Kondini wrote:
Have faith in yourself,what you do and the punters,they are not as bad as you think (Well not all of them).

"punters"???? Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Punter: British slang; originally a betting term for a player who bets against the bank; it later became a sporting term for fans (usually but not always of the betting type); and, finally, now covers just about anyone who is involved in any way with just about anything: i.e., your audience.

Once again, an example of two nations separated by a common language! Smile
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Thanks Peter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If You Went Back In TIme... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL