The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Your favorite floating Zombie (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I only sell the gimmicks custom now and the price is kind of high to keep them out of the hands of the purely curious. That and they're such a pain to make Smile That said, I'm always glad to take orders. My Zombie Re-Animated DVDs are still available as well.

I'm also doing a workshop this August in Colin Michigan during the Abbott's get-together where I'll be showing off some new techniques and gimmicks I've devised in the last few years. I'll look forward to seeing everyone there.

Jeb

http://sterlinimagic.com/viewitem.php?productid=769
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 00:18, AnthonytheMagic wrote:
Does anyone know if the floating Bubble can be done outside?
Anthony

I have done it outside and I would NOT recommend it. First off, the lighting is bad and the bubble is almost invisible. Second, even the slightest breeze could mess up the trick.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Jeb… sadly it’s Colon Michigan, not Colin, which would be open to less interpretation…

So happy your DVD Set (people forget it’s two volumes” is still on the market.
There is no finer source for Floating Ball routining and technique.

Magically, Walt
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Walt,

Serves me right for posting late at night. Smile

Jeb
Arepsi
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
147 Posts

Profile of Arepsi
This is a good topic. I mostly perform at standard gigs, where is nice conversation after each show, so I really have to think when I float the table or not. I usually end up with Losanders table when there's an opportunity, so it would be the best.

Nowdays I try to search more different objects, more real and ordinary so people can examine the props. I have started to be afraid with the table, because the spectators will usually ask, is the table solid? I have thought I should store my props on it during the performance, but I only can carry envelopes, ropes and perhaps deck, but nothing big, which is no good, because it is designed for big stages. That's the reason I have thought this same question, what would be the best object - haha - zombie floater?

It really depends of the show, style and performer, but in my opinion, something real. Even if it's an apple, it is something real. Apple would be the next, because you could take a bite after the effect to cleanup the hole of the gimmick.

And because there's a chit chat after show with people, I do the table switch and switch it to real table. It's eclipse-style solid copy, permission asked from Losander. And it really helps selling the effect, because they can check the table afterwards.

With proper gimmick, you can take more than 1,5 kilograms of weight, so just upgrade your gimmick and use your imagination.

Best regards, Aaro Sorva
P.S. Sorry about my bad english.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-01 13:40, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
There is no finer source for Floating Ball routining and technique.

Looks like I'm going to have to spring for those two volumes. I'm no floating ball expert, but I think I have a handle on it after more than 30 years! LOL!

Myself, I just need a decent ball. I ain't payin' $400 for it though. I can make my own gimmick and find my own Foulard. I'm thinkin' that Viking might be good. RnT's is too expensive and so is the Owens.

I really need to get Jeb's DVD's though.

Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

I’ve been working with a very high end, very high quality magic company to produce my entire Zombie Set.

Specially designed innovative, Ball, Foulard, Gimmick, Levitation Chest, and a few other extra props, along with extremely detailed instructions and resources.

It won’t be cheap, but it will be fairly priced, we’re still in the planning stages, but I can keep everyone posted as the project progresses,, so no idea of cost yet. Another top-end manufacturer agreed to do it, but they kept it on the shelf for two years and it was time to transfer the rights.

I’m hoping this will be the ultimate, last word, in one-person floating/levitating balls.

For a traditional ball, I still hold that the only correctly made professional quality ones made now are from Viking Magic and he imports them from Italy. Do a Café search if you want my detailed opinions and the why/how of these.

By the way, I’m in a funding campaign, if you’re interested in helping me network check it out right now at http://tinyurl.com/MagicParlor .

Magically,
Walt
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Wow a 3 hour lecture on Zombie. That sounds pretty intense but oddly cool. Will you have any dream gimmicks there Jeb?
Official Thread Killer
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 13:09, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
By the way, I’m in a funding campaign, if you’re interested in helping me network check it out right now at http://tinyurl.com/MagicParlor.

Wow! What a campaign! I wish I had money...I would give to this...Gosh, I miss San Francisco! That's where I'm from!

Doug
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Giving the dream gimmic a workout
http://youtu.be/FEwOKTngm-0
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
That looked great and the best part? It was short.
Official Thread Killer
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Great workout Jon…
like a gym “24-hour Magic Fitness” <grin>
Love to see someone doing it other than Jeb.

I like that the routine is on the short side too!

As an experiment, would you try that routine,
but at exactly h-a-l-f the speed?
I think you’ll make an exciting discovery.

PM me if you’d like.
Magically, Walt
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 07:23, Stucky wrote:
Wow a 3 hour lecture on Zombie. That sounds pretty intense but oddly cool. Will you have any dream gimmicks there Jeb?

Stucky,

The Dream Gimmick and more. I've got a number of new gimmicks I'll be showing off only to the workshop. That and a brand new hook-up.

Jeb
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Someone sent me a PM.
They are thinking of making an Astrosphere, or Zombie Ball, or Okito Ball, and they wondered what color would be best to use.
This is what I suggested:

Decide "what the balls are" first.

...Are they solid, or are they bubbles, are they hard or soft, or light/heavy?

…Are they kids play balls, or from an alien planet, or a wizard's orb?
Is the personality mysterious, or impish, or scary, or happy, or mean?

…Why do you have the ball? Where did you get it?

…How can it defy gravity? Does is float, or levitate, or dance, or a combo?

…What is your mood and the balls mood. How/why are you interacting with it?

…What is the (unspoken) story you want to communicate, why are you showing us this?

If you can get your head around these questions--
then the color of the ball will organically and intuitively appear.
A theatrically stronger and more interesting way than just "picking' some color.

This not only goes for their question of “choosing a color for a ball” but other aspects too:
foulard, costume, presentation, music, performance, style, etc.

My two-cents on the topic.
Walt
Brad Sheppard
View Profile
New user
Rogers, Arkansas
69 Posts

Profile of Brad Sheppard
Walt - You make some great points! As with all routines - you should carefully think about every aspect of the effect your are presenting. Style and character are everything. You have to decide the character of the ball and the routine will fall into place. Its sad that many of us dismiss the zombie as an old effect, but put in the right hands with the right presentation it can really entertain the audience.
Brad
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Good points, Brad. Something I'll be going over at my workshop is how too many people look at Zombie as a cheaper, lesser version of other floating balls. In reality, it is very much its own illusion with its own advantages and disadvantages and is even a better illusion in certain respects.

Jeb
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I think the Zombie is just great, I've been rebuilding my routine and reworking the equipment.

The updated gimmick uses a TT which allows for lots of new possibilities. For one, you can get lots of movement with the hands completely still. This is getting closer to the Tommy Wonder capabilities for floating with the ball really detached from finger movement.

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In a previous Café discussion about zombie on july 27, 2010 I wrote:
-----begin quote-----
Also, I personally still prefer Lance Burton's original zombie routine. A floating silver sphere has more appeal to me than a floating bird cage. Bird cages aren't supposed to float. But silver spheres have a mysterious quality to them. And give the audience credit. If they've seen one object floating around on a foulard, they've seen 'em all, whether it's a violin, a bird cage, a mask, or a stalk of celery. Besides, with the bird cage, you lose the deceptive strength of a sphere that has no identifying characteristic that betrays its angle of tilt.
(Retrieved from http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=30)
-----end quote-----
I beleve Becky Blaney also presented a zombie routine. I can't remember the specifics, but I think she used a toreador cape as the cloth.

As I said, I still prefer the classic zombie because... well, it's classic.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Here's one more floating zombie object:
http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/ZOM......ULB.html
I remember demoing this effect at Earl Edwards's Magic Shop in Norfolk back in the 60's and 70's. I don't think it cost $150.00 back then, though. Must be a collectors' item.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A bit of spook show levity...

~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Your favorite floating Zombie (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL