The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Cutting a unicorn from a business card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. . .

In an old Genii, Peter Samelson reminices about meeting Avner the Eccentric for the first time. He tells the story of how Avner borrowed a business card, and with a pair of folding scissors cut out a unicorn.
I've tried looking in books of Krigami and several paper craft books, to no avail. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks!
Matt
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I attended a lecture by Avner and he did this 'routine' while telling a charming story.Was very memorable.

all the best,
John
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Remember, never play leap frog witha unicorn.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hi again

I know there wasn't much response on this post, or much activity on the forum, but I thought I'd try again. Has anyone seen anything about this?

John, thanks for your help. Do you remember any other details? Was it a sillouette of a unicorn? Just the head? Do you remember anything about the story?

Thanks again for any help anyone can give. I'm really interested in this, it sounds like a charming giveaway.

Matt
brihaspati
View Profile
New user
india
6 Posts

Profile of brihaspati
Seems intresting but can anyone elobrate the effect..
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hi

There really isn't an effect, per se. It's more along the lines of folding an origami rose, or the bunny bill.

Thanks

Matt
Man Ray
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Man Ray
Cutting a unicorn was first created by Ken Feit. Ken was an amazing performer, but not a magician. He was a storyteller, and the unicorn was cut from flash paper. As he passed the unicorn near a candle flame it went up in a flash. This was part of a ceremony he call The Fool's Mass. Ken was a Jesuit priest who left the priesthood to take on a life as an itinerant fool. You can read the only book about him and his stories if you are lucky enough to find the book Foolish Wisdom.
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Thanks for the help Man Ray

Now I have a name with which to start my search.

Matthew
phill w
View Profile
New user
York, England
14 Posts

Profile of phill w
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 11:21, Neznarf wrote:
Remember, never play leap frog witha unicorn.

LOL! I'll remember this advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Cutting a unicorn from a business card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL