The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Charming Chinese Challenge by Troy Hooser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This has been a cornerstone of my walk around set for years. I really hate the black and gold coins that most magicians use. I think they don't look authentic at all. I had found some really great coins. SUPER thin and very real looking. I used them for years, when I would hand them out and tell people to examine them. They occasionaly would BREAK THEM IN HALF! They were sort of a metalized plastic. The first time this happened, I paniced and just said "Here's a card trick." After telling my friend Scott Sullivan, he gave me a great out, using the 4th coin, just do a switch and it's restored. I've done this once to great effect. I can't find those coins anymore, so I now use all bronze coins, I am pretty sure they are made by sterling. They are smaller and thicker, but no one has ever broken one.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Pepka, what patter line do you use mate?
I like performing this, but have shyed away from it recently due to not having a decent patter, other than saying just what I am doing
I guess if you wanted to customize a spare coin, you could go into sankey's holy moly effect afterwards:
instead of making the coins go, I'll make the hole go this time...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thin, smooth, hole in center = fender washer
add in some black and gold paint, and you have some very useable "coins".

add in a glob of solder (use a hammer to bang it in tight), and you have a gimmick for Holy Moly.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I got mine from Magic Dream, a shop in Paris. I love them.

I was also given a set of half dollar sized ones that I use, they have matching shell, different colored "chinese" coins (red, and yellow) and even two 3" jumbos. Very beautiful coins!

Corey
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Joshua Jay's Website has the coins and ribbon for the routine. $35.00
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Anyone willing to "share" a some good patter with the magic community?
thanks!
matt
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Patter - (not the full thing); but mine is around the history of the purse/pocket from ancient coinage systems to now, moving from coins worn around the neck on robbon, (could be easily stolen, come on and odd the ribbon too easily), going to same ribbon held in the hand, then developing to the safest option, keeping them in a purse. You can esily integrate references to the development of the pocket in order to load/ditch extra coin using the old "empty-pocket" gag where you pull the insides out over a hidden coin, but ability to do this depends on your overall pocket management.
Hope this is useful.
Bruce
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
http://www.japaneseweddingfavors.com/chi......opes.asp
You can give the whole setup to the spectater at the end.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I guess the Royal Magic Chinese coins would work well in this routine too.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 07:03, joseph wrote:
I can't seem to find the silk ribbon..I checked the big name hobby stores,
and no luck...

Check in any retail or department store. Go to a mall if you have to. It should be easy to find. And the ribbon does not have to be silk.
startingout
View Profile
New user
UK
29 Posts

Profile of startingout
Hi sorry to go off topic. But does any one please still have the original dvd? I do have it, but stupidly gone and spilt drink and its stained the cover, can post to prove it, please if any one could be kind enough. thanks
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The image on the top of the DVD? I'd imagine that the DVD should still play just fine with it discolored - the laser hits the other side of the DVD to read the content.

Otherwise, it should be straightforward to buy a new copy: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4599 or the updated version from a few months ago: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......allenge/
startingout
View Profile
New user
UK
29 Posts

Profile of startingout
Thanks tonsofquestions
I borrowed the DVD, but had an accident spilt a drink, DVD already in the PC, just damaged the case cover.
Cannot give back like this, can get it re printed on same paper at work, but just getting hold ov the cover. Rather than paying £30 for new..

Thx
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
So you're looking for a hi-res image of the DVD insert page? I don't have one myself, but I suspect you'd end up having better success if you state what you're asking for clearly. Good luck.
startingout
View Profile
New user
UK
29 Posts

Profile of startingout
Ok Yes that's what I was after, knew be a long shot.
Thanks
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Got this one 2 weeks ago, and it is really awesome. Very magical! I am only wondering if the gold coating on the chinese coin will last long...
david abel
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of david abel
I've loved this effect ever since I saw josh jay dem it a zillion years ago in Blackpool. I've picked up a few of the news sets and have been obsessively practicing it. I am now finally performing it. During practice I've dropped the coins on various hard surfaces , slightly scratching the metal in the process and part of the gold has come off due in part now doubt to my sweaty palms. I actually prefer them with some of the gold less shiny and dazzling new as it fits in more with my patter. I'm so glad the routine and I found each other. Having great fun with it.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have always used the original coins that Troy recommended, the sterling half dollar size, they are perfect. They will scratch over time, but that makes them softer too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Charming Chinese Challenge by Troy Hooser (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL