The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Tips on Elmsley Count at chest height? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Anyone have tips on how to do an Elmsely count with cards at chest instead of waist ?
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hmmm... If I were to do the EC at chest hieght I would do the count at the fingertips.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Docc Hillford showed me a way to do it at chest height while holding the cards vertically. It's a little complicated if you're used to the normal action, because you're going in reverse basically. You peel the cards off the face (audience side) while going through similar mechanics; but you have to be careful, because your hand will block the cards.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The problem in Vertical elmsley Count is that it does not seem like a nornal couting. Jordan Count is more convincing in vertical position. (You take cards from the side near to you. The second card is taken on face of the first card assuming the faces are facing to audience).

Hideo Kato
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I've got a handling for the Ghost and Jordan counts at chest level. I think I put them on the Virtual Sessions, but I'm not sure.

Both counts work fine - I used them to move from my Twisting Aces to McClintock Twist. I had a video of them online a while back, but I think it's down now.

Take care, Ian
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
I performed the EC and JC vertically in my act at FISM-Convention in Baden-Baden Germay in 1967, and does it till today, specially also with Giant Cards!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Reading IanKendall's and MueCard-san's post, I solved the problem in my Vertical Elmsley Count, and got a good way. Thank you very much for the inspiration. (The key point is to steal the first card when I take third card, not second card(s)).

Hideo Kato
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
I will imply my way of EC a little bit:
I hold the 4-card-packet at the lower left corner between left first and second finger (outside) and my left thumb (inside. On "1" I take the front (first) card, and at the same time I angle jog the inner card (the fourth card) a little bit to the left with my left thumb. Now the block of the second and the third card shows at the upper right corner. In leaving the front card behind the packet it is easy to grip the block of second and third card on the count of "2".
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Lower your hands...
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There is a rather old video called the Phan(tom) Thumb. It teaches an interesting DL method, and also a vertical Elmsley count. Unfortunately, I lost that tape long ago.

Andy
Cards never lie
elmermagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of elmermagic
I never felt the need to use the Elmsley count on chest level using the regular cards. If ever I would encounter that need, it would probably be for a larger audience, occasion of which, I would not be using the regular deck but a set of jumbo cards.

By then, why would I count unnaturally on chest level when I may count on natural position with the jumbo? = )
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
On stage, I think counting cards in chest level seems more natural and more showmanship like. If you Elmsley Count the cards at lower position, you need to look down, which is rather an awkward posture on stage.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Kato-san,

I could not agree more . . . you might lower the hands strongly, but that does not really look great.

Andy
Cards never lie
elmermagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of elmermagic
Hmmm...I see the point. Thanks, thanks... = )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Tips on Elmsley Count at chest height? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL