The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » How to make your own Svengali deck, in bulk??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
If you're pitching Svengali decks, what reason could you have for wanting to peel the cellophane off the package and even touch the cards?

Sanding, cutting, opening, shutting, gluing, packaging.........it's all a total waste of time you could be pitching! (or sleeping, or ????)

Buy 'em already made, and go to work!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Well said silverking...Thank You!

I'm a pitchman and all I want to do is pitch.(and sleep or..???) If I wanted to be a manufacture,I would go get a job at S.S.Adams.

Don
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Trying to shorten cards on a grinder or a sander is an absolute waste of time and cards. You will really mess the cards and the grinder up.

A sixteenth of an inch is a lot of card to cut off, by the way. You can do it with 1/32, but trying to find a printer that can cut it accurately is really difficult. Most "printers" nowadays don't know how to use a paper guillotine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've just made up my first lot of Svengalis. 54 decks.. from 48 packs of cards.
Took 1 gross to the printers and had him cut them, but he insisted the only way he could keep track of them was to take them out the packs and cut them, 4 at a time or so, and then put them back in the packets... yawn....yawn..

After he'd cut them, I showed him a better way... and he agreed - so next time it should be less expensive. Took him an hour to cut a gross. Took 1.2mm off, with no problems apart from a greasy ink fingerprint here and there...
However, the work was ok, and using the instructions in the very excellent "Expert at the Pitch table " book, two of us unpacked them, laid them out, re-packed them in 2 hours. Reckon next time... (if there IS a next time..!) we could do it closer to an hour.
I reckon there's an error on page 6-5 - I think there's an extra King of Clubs listed.. Anyone else come across this?
I took the exercise on because at the time there were no collated decks available, the exchange rate with the dollar is stuffed, and the relatively high cost of shipping to the UK or Ireland.
Overall, it was a good exercise, and I had to do it in order to instruct the grunt labour what to do. I just wish I could import 10 gross or so at a good rate from one of the US suppliers...

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Thanks for sharing... I have 60 decks of cards under my desk and a friend of mine owns a print shop.... Maybe its time to revisit this idea...

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Ernst VCO
View Profile
New user
that has really been trying, but only has
52 Posts

Profile of Ernst VCO
Now, I know it's been ages, but did you ever turn those decks into Svengalis?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When I had a printer cut my decks, he had to have a card on the top and bottom, as the clamp used a lot of pressure, and would leave an impression on the top card.

They can cut off any amount you need. They guy charged me $2 a deck, that was some years back. I am sure if you have a lot of decks, it would be less.

If you are looking how to make strippers, go here and download the "Making an inexpensive Card Cutter" PDF. It's free.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » How to make your own Svengali deck, in bulk??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL