The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slush powder cubes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi all,

I would like to be able to finger palm slush powder to add to liquid at a convenient time. This would be better than loading a cup with slush powder first, and as soon as the water is added it becomes solid.

It would be good to have someone drink the water first as a form of inspection. Then I carry on a magical effect such as a water vanish.

How would I achieve this? Can slush powder be clumped together similar to sugar cubes?

Thanks, Scott.

PS: I thought of using a TT to pour powder in, however this is not quite so convenient with the handling.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Not sure if Slush Powder would bind together, as it is really dry. I think it would need some kind of mold anh a high pressure to pack it into the mold, which seems like an industrial process to me.

Maybe just a TINY amount of water added to the powder and put into a cube shaped mold might work, but maybe when the water mixes with the powder, it might just not work later when you need it.

Can you get some kind of water dissolveable paper that you could make into a palmable packet containing the powder. This would then dissolve in the cup and release the powder?

Or something like they sell tea in. Over here they are tea bags made of porous paper that lets the flavor of the tea out when in water.Might be worth getting some and taking out the tea and putting in the slush powder. You might need a needle and cotton to reseal the bag though. In the US I think Liptons sell "Breakfast Tea"

Another idea would be something you could palm, then squeeze to release the powder. Plastic balls used in paintball games might be the answer. If the paint was removed, and left to dry, you could put in the slush powder, reseal with adhesive and then cut a smsll slit in the side. When you squeeze the ball, the slit would open, releasing the powder.

Hope these ideas help
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Try putting a small amount in some of this and twisting it so it doesn't fall out:

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Accessories/AC023.htm#DISSOLVO

Lyndel
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for the ideas. I like the water soluble paper idea and that would work well. You also lead me to think of further ideas.

One way to do this would be to have a small bottle-cap filled with slush powder. While picking up the cup, also steal the cap.

Hidden from the audience by the back of my hand, I would tip the powder contents in with some misdirection and ditch the cap in at the same time - as it will set within the slush gel.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...that's one (or several) way to do it.

Try it out and see how it works for you. I'd be interested in your results.

Mark.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
For film and TV special effects, Slush Powder is used by the sack load to created snow and if one wants to make a "packable" snow ball with it, one commonly adds some glycerin (avaialble from mosts chemists/drug stores)...you'll have to play with the amounts of glycerin and if it can be added before the water etc.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I'd give a white plastic spoon a light coating of cheap hairspray, then before it dries, cover it with slush powder and tap off the excess. The remaining powder will stick to the spoon and at a glance remain virtually invisible.

When you stir the water with that spoon, the hairspray will dissolve releasing the powder and the powder will activate.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Instead of just finger palm why not use a flip tip?
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
What a good idea!!!! (slush powder cubes)
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
That's very interesting how they use slush powder by the sack full to make snow in movies!

Thanks for your advice all. I'll try your ideas. I don't know what the flip tip is, but by the title of the item it sounds like a hinged TT.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I cant get these slush cubes out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think slush spheres would be easier to make and more practical... Like moth balls..
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Eric I checked out your website, very neat! Congratulations on the awards. It sounds like you have a good routine idea with the nonexistant slush powder cubes! Me too.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Do gel-caps require acid to dissolve, or do they dissolve in plain water?
Just a thought.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Thanks Scott!!!

I don't really have an actual use for them...

I just think some people would.. You could tilt the container over before the effect to prove there is nothing in it. Hold the slush sphere inside the container ala misers
Mr.Dennis
View Profile
New user
Louisville Kentucky
81 Posts

Profile of Mr.Dennis
You might try the Slush Powder Wand. Hank Lee carries it.

Dennis
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Have a look here:

http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3705

You can fillem' up yourself
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Good idea eztravlr. They would need to be very water soluble. I mean instantly dissolve at the touch of water. I'd assume gel caps would need to be broken down by acids once swallowed..

Has anybody had experience with water soluble paper? There's plenty of it around on the net. This can be a little packaging for a bundle of slush powder (for palming). Upon being dropped in the water, the packaging dissolves immediately. Sounds like we're getting somewhere!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 00:23, scottds80 wrote:
Good idea eztravlr. They would need to be very water soluble. I mean instantly dissolve at the touch of water. I'd assume gel caps would need to be broken down by acids once swallowed..

Has anybody had experience with water soluble paper? There's plenty of it around on the net. This can be a little packaging for a bundle of slush powder (for palming). Upon being dropped in the water, the packaging dissolves immediately. Sounds like we're getting somewhere!

Yep, I use it in a routine I do. That's why I suggested it... It works like a charm!

Lyndel
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thankyou very much for that link Lyndel, I scrolled up and found it. Sorry I missed it the first time. You have got it spot on and I'll be getting some to try it out.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 00:23, scottds80 wrote:
Good idea eztravlr.

Heyyyy...gel caps was my idea. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slush powder cubes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL