The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practicing in front of a mirror vs. video recorder (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I use a camera, especially when I'm working on a brand new trick/routine. That way, if I say something brilliant (or stupid), I can remember it later. It also provides for some hilarious outtakes for private showings! LOL
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
Tryllejakob
View Profile
New user
Denmark
51 Posts

Profile of Tryllejakob
I always start with mirrors,then I don't have to look over tons of bad recordings. I have a wardrobe with mirrors on, this give me a kind of mirror box so I can se front and to sides. When I'm happy with the mirror performace I tape with the web camera.
Best Regards

Jakob Rasmussen
Denmark

www.magicshow.dk
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
A lot of good advice in this old thread!
What software would you use for webcam practicing?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Yes, good advice here.

If I could go back in time to when I first started (which wasn't that long ago, but still), I'd tell myself the importance of a good practice space.

Instead of spending money on silly tricks and not so good books/DVDs, I'd make sure I had a well lit area with table, decent close-up mat, large mirrors and a camcorder on a tripod. Would have been a better investment than some of the tat I spent money on and regretted ... Beginner magic books should have a chapter devoted to the importance of simple things like this!
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
My 9 year old is my first audience. He is still young enough to be amazed and that really helps me feel like I am performing magic. Sometimes he is the only audience I need.
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Profile of somethingupmysleeve
Interesting topic and useful advice. I have a mirror I can set opposite me on the dining room table, plus a DSLR camera with tripod for video. I sometimes find it a little awkward to watch myself back on video, but it's really useful.

I can also take a pack of cards or a gimmick on my commute into work, to practice handling (I have my own seat on a quiet train, so no risk of flashing to fellow commuters!).
SandwichMan
View Profile
New user
Myrtle Beach
77 Posts

Profile of SandwichMan
I used to use the mirror A LOT.

Nowadays, I just use my parents. Smile They are extremely critical...which used to hurt my feelings when I was younger, but I don't care anymore, haha.
Music is meaningless if it cannot be FELT be cannot it if meaningless is magic.
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
I feel video recorder is pretty good and the downside is expensive as mentioned as above. I think we can use mirror to check the angle of certain sleights and using the video recorder to record the whole routine or performance to check the certain timing and gestures and misdirection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practicing in front of a mirror vs. video recorder (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL