The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Carney's The Book of Secrets (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Anyone want to comment on this book?

I just received my copy yesterday, and an hour's worth of browsing convinced me that Mike Close and Jamy Ian Swiss were both right...this book will be considered one of the very few classics of our field.

Great material (Carney is attempting to guide us on an exploration of "magic" through an examination of its classics), great layout, great illustrations/photos (photostrations?). Great book! Classic Carney!

Anyone else got their copy yet and want to comment?
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
I received my copy last week and it is great! So much information! My favorites are the thimbles and Leipzig Cigars.

Rudy
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Mr. Vilago writes: ...this book will be considered one of the very few classics of our field.

Do you really think there are only "a very few" classics?

I believe that Mr Carney's new book will be a classic that will referenced for years and years. I ordered the "Deluxe" edition so I won't get it for a few more weeks, but I would be interested in exploring your comment further. Maybe starting a new thread.

Dave
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Dave,

"Vilago" is just a handle...my name is Dan.

Anyway, yes, I believe there are only a very few classics, if we define a classic as a standard of excellence to which the majority refer for guidance and direction.

Magic has, of course, many sub-branches, each with its own classics, but with Secrets I'm referring to the field of magic as a whole. Examples of other such classics would be "Our Magic", "Modern Magic", the Tarbell series, etc. I don't think it's a stretch to put Carney's book somewhere in there, a modern entry if you will Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
John's book is a very good example of "why and how" material.
Recently there seems to be a lot more focus on the "why" of an effect, which seems only logical.
Reading a lot of "how" books always makes you want to look for more.
Reading a "why" book makes you wonder how to apply things on stuff you already played with, only now with a bigger understanding.

Only after reading the first two chapters of the Book of Secrets my mind was working overtime!

To me, other books that fall into this category:
Roger Klause's In Concert
Tommy Wonder's books
Tamariz' books
Eugene Burger's books
Mike Close Workers series
Darwin Ortiz' books
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Who is the publisher of the book? It hasn't yet appeared on any of the lists I've looked at.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Gary, I heard that you had to order it directly from John Carney himself over at http://www.carneymagic.com
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
That's right, John is taking the middleman out of the equation and requiring all orders to come through his website...
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hey, you guys should be happy with the book.
I paid for it in November and haven`t gotten it yet. I do live in England though. I'll let you know when it gets here.
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
I can't believe more people here aren't talking about this book. It's a great book, IF you love magic, and IF you want to become a better magician. Anyone who hasn't done so, should order it immediately. http://www.carneymagic.com
jmmagic
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
70 Posts

Profile of jmmagic
I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

When it does I will post my thoughts on it.

Joe
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Quote:
On 2003-02-19 10:02, john blaze wrote:
I can't believe more people here aren't talking about this book.

John,

I was surprised too...that's why I finally posted a topic!

It always amazes me how posts regarding the latest miracle (Deep Astonishment, for example) or video (pick your flavor of the week) will get dozens of comments. But, boy, try to talk about a book that can improve your ability and notice how the topic stays cold!

Of course, it could be that most people haven't gotten their copy yet!

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I'm still waiting for mine, and it's been killing me!

I'll post as soon as I get the book and have the chance to read it. I'm betting this will be the next "Greater Magic" or "Royal Road."
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
I ordered the "deluxe" editon and won't see it for several more weeks. I'm thinking about getting a regular copy just so I don't have to wait the additional weeks.

John and Dan were "on the money" about the lack of discussion on what could be one of the most important books in recent years. It's not a video or self-working trick performed by some mumbling, trick guru.

Dave
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
Yep,
I ordered mine in early January, the 6th I think.
I bought it based on a review in Magic or Genii, but, the review was glowing.
I got an email from John Carney last week. He said the delivery was fast approaching. I am expecting it sometime soon, I hope next week.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I ordered mine the day after Christmas and haven't received it yet, and I live in So. Cal.

How can we talk about something we don't have?

I'm sure that when people talk about "the latest video or some self-working trick performed by some mumbling, trick guru"
they probably have it!

Besides, self-working tricks on video by a mumbling trick guru are the only tricks I know.
That's why I ordered this book.
Smile
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
This is one of those books that really should be on the shelf of most magicians. The thinking and insight that he shares really is priceless. We actually reviewed this as part of our Magic Marketplace product review show the other day in the "It's in a book" section. If you would like to check out the full review you can find it here..

http://themagicsession.com/featured/magi......04-25-11

We love books and always look forward when someone like John Carney publishes his work. It's a breath of fresh air to know you are learning from someone that really has been there and done that.

luke
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Great book but I'm more partial to the material in Carneycopia.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 19:47, Luke Dancy wrote:
This is one of those books that really should be on the shelf of most magicians. The thinking and insight that he shares really is priceless. We actually reviewed this as part of our Magic Marketplace product review show the other day in the "It's in a book" section. If you would like to check out the full review you can find it here..

http://themagicsession.com/featured/magi......04-25-11

We love books and always look forward when someone like John Carney publishes his work. It's a breath of fresh air to know you are learning from someone that really has been there and done that.

luke

Another plug for themagicsession.com

Well seeded Luke.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Carneycopia is my favorite of John's books. Also highly reccomended is his recent slim Magic by Design.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Carney's The Book of Secrets (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL