The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Brass Reel ($9.95!!!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I traditionally make my own reels out of janitor key reels. I take them apart, change the line, and add some soundproofing. I was browsing Madhatter Magic Shop and saw this item, so I ordered it. I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of this item. I really can't figure out how they managed to get this price, when you hold this reel, it FEELS expensive. Very nicely made, easy to disassemble, Quiet enough for restaurant work, 4 foot cord, and did I mention it was only $9.95?!?!

Here's the description from Madhatter:

It has been many years since a utility reel of this quality has been available to the magic fraternity. This device will enable you to perform many effects as Serpentine Silk, the Dancing Hank, Rising Cards, Ribbon to Rose, Self-Knotting Silk and many, many more.
These reels are quiet and smooth in operation, easy to re-thread and repair and have a long thread pull of over forty inches. The reel is less than one-half inch deep and one and one-quarter inch in diameter. It has a natural brass finish, which can be painted or will allow you to attach a finger clip, if necessary.

Get it here:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......_id=4157

It comes with complete instructions for disassembling and repairing (including drawings) as well as three silk routines (Serpentine Silk, Silk Thru Microphone Stand, and Ring Thru Silk). I personally use it with Tommy Wonders Ring, Watch, and Wallet. Very nice prop, I will be buying a few of them, I can't imagine the price will last.

~Matt
Aim To Amaze
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Thanks, I've been looking for a quiet reel at a good price and this looks like it may fit the bill.

Matt
Magi51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magi51
Thanks for letting us know about this. I've been needing a good reel for a long time. I really need one that is silent. Hopefully this one will be it.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I just ordered two more.
Aim To Amaze
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 16:31, montemagic wrote:
I traditionally make my own reels out of janitor key reels. I take them apart, change the line, and add some soundproofing. I was browsing Madhatter Magic Shop and saw this item, so I ordered it. I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of this item. I really can't figure out how they managed to get this price, when you hold this reel, it FEELS expensive. Very nicely made, easy to disassemble, Quiet enough for restaurant work, 4 foot cord, and did I mention it was only $9.95?!?!

Here's the description from Madhatter:

It has been many years since a utility reel of this quality has been available to the magic fraternity. This device will enable you to perform many effects as Serpentine Silk, the Dancing Hank, Rising Cards, Ribbon to Rose, Self-Knotting Silk and many, many more.
These reels are quiet and smooth in operation, easy to re-thread and repair and have a long thread pull of over forty inches. The reel is less than one-half inch deep and one and one-quarter inch in diameter. It has a natural brass finish, which can be painted or will allow you to attach a finger clip, if necessary.

Get it here:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......_id=4157

It comes with complete instructions for disassembling and repairing (including drawings) as well as three silk routines (Serpentine Silk, Silk Thru Microphone Stand, and Ring Thru Silk). I personally use it with Tommy Wonders Ring, Watch, and Wallet. Very nice prop, I will be buying a few of them, I can't imagine the price will last.

~Matt

No surprise here. Mad Hatter is an awesome shop that has things other shops don't carry.

You can't go wrong with Bill and Angie over at Mad Hatter!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
It's an old thread I know, but I would like to see more reviews on this item. I see that a good reel is usually a very high priced one. So if this cheap item is really that good (has a lock, is fast, is silent), I will take it. But I need more reviews. Thanks. (I forget to say something : I need a reel to vanish things like coins, bills, folded cards, a pen/sharpie, keys, i.e., this kind of small things.)
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2016, mh1001 wrote:
It's an old thread I know, but I would like to see more reviews on this item. I see that a good reel is usually a very high priced one. So if this cheap item is really that good (has a lock, is fast, is silent), I will take it. But I need more reviews. Thanks. (I forget to say something : I need a reel to vanish things like coins, bills, folded cards, a pen/sharpie, keys, i.e., this kind of small things.)

Threads die for a reason - no one was interested in the subject any more. Bumping it back to life after 8 years wont make the subject matter any more interesting.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2016, mh1001 wrote:

Currently, the silk through microphone has hit a resurgence in the magic community. Every time it is on TV, they all want it.

Sorry to say, that silk reels are for just that, silks and rope routines.

A silk reel is not powerful enough for vanishing or to be used for the purposes you mention. The original post, does not mention strength or power. Also, no mention of a locking device on it.

I suggest you use the old elastic cord method, and if that will not work for you, then a Key-Bak (brand name) key keeper reel may work for you. You have to change the line to monofilament, and put a looking lever on it, but it will do the job. Jay Scott Berry and Petrick and Mia use to make and sell them.

I see Madhatter magic still lists the reel after all this time, now it is only #16.95. Sounds like a really good deal to have in your trick case.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Tally_NSA : I know. But I was hoping that maybe someone here who has this tool hasn't commented yet. I have nothing to lose to ask.

Bill Hegbli : I rarely see people using reel to vanish things like coins, pen, keys. But I think it's doable. Some people said it is doable. The only two reels I own are the one that comes from STS by Noblezada, and the other is Ring Flight Revolution. The first one is really noisy (but is not a problem on a street). The second makes a little noise, and you can hear it if there is absolutely no noise around you (e.g., at home or in a library, ...). I have tested both of them, using different clips, and I can vanish coins and keys. I want a third reel, only for the purpose of doing a vanishing. Why I'm not considering elastic ? Because I have two of these things attached to my waist, and they serve different purposes : vanishing/transposition. But, I want a reel for doing exactly what Gonzo does (I own a Gonzo but everyone always sees the metallic thing under my arm, so it's bad) : vanish a coin from a spectator's hand with no sleeve. Actually, with sleeves rolled up, I have tried this with RFR and a clip I made myself, hidden at the level of my elbow. I've tried several times, I think I can make it happen. And due to the nylon thread, it flashes much less than Gonzo. I use RFR for ring flight however. So, I need another reel (and I don't think I want to buy another RFR).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hanry Evans sells a magnetic reel that will vanish a silk up the sleeve, this tells me it is fast and strong. You might consider looking at it.

I don't own it, but it should be an easy matter to replace the magnet with whatever connection you use.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3831
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I have Petrick's reel which is strong enough for any magicians uses if interested, PM me.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Brass Reel ($9.95!!!) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL