The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Doug Henning Ring & String (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
I recently had the privilage to see an old clip of Doug Henning on the Johnny Carson Show. He used a bracelot sized ring and a velvet cord. The cord stayed on the table yet the ring penetrated on and off the cord as he waved his hand over it. Anybody know what routine this is?
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I used to perform this many many many moons ago, I still have the ring and red velvet chord but can't rememebr the name or the creator...will have to dig in the old magic room later to find it for you.
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Okay, found it...

BEWILDERING by Doug Bennett produced by Stars of Magic.

:)
<BR>I never inhale Smile
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Thanks Johnnymystic, It really looked very magical when Henning did it the camera was in really close and Johnny's eyes bugged out of his head. Chuck
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I remember seeing it when it first aired and that was last time I saw it and it blew me away.
<BR>I never inhale Smile
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Do you have any idea who may be selling this? I cannot find it in the places I have looked. I searched google, I tried L&L and H&R Books, Hocus Pocus. I'm not sure how practicle it is to use, but boy did it look good in Doug Hennings hands!
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Denny Haney might have it. If not, try eBay -- it doesn't come up often, but that's where I got mine. Also, the velvet cord is difficult to find, but I recall a thread on the Café on this topic.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
What is it with hard to find velevet chord anyways?

The thing is with this trick is it is a sit down effect.
<BR>I never inhale Smile
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
I love this effect. It's by no means impromptu. It requires a bit of set-up and it can be angly (is that a word) but it does look incredible for what it does.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I have been using this for years in my "intimate" close-up show.

It's excellent.
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Keep in mind; for the most part you need to be seated at a table.

David Tower
David Tower
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here's a source for velvet rope: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=9&0

It may work for this routine, for all I know. You can always inquire.
SoundWave
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of SoundWave
BEWILDERING with the velvet rope is a nice routine. Thank you for the links.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
One was just sold on the Café by abbascup for $20.00. You might check with him in case the sale falls through or in case he had more than one. Worth a try.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
magicrick7425
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of magicrick7425
I have a BEWILDERING by Doug Bennett produced by Stars of Magic Volume 2 Number 2 for sale. The same trick Doug Henning did on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. It has been used only a few times and is in excellent condition. A bracelet sized brass ring and a velvet cord. The cord stayed on the table yet the ring penetrates on and off the cord as he waved his hand over it. You can have a rope, mirror, brass ring, but unless you have the "invisible" gimmick and know how to do it, the other items won't be of much use. I have the COMPLETE trick for sale. The orignal plastic box it came in is in perfect condition, no cracks. I'm selling it on ebay starting July 22, 2013. I just listed it. Since it is prohibited by Café' rules to post a direct link to the big auction site try a search on seller "bigdtoymaster".
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you search under the name Bewildering it comes right up.

Can't believe there aren't any bids yet.

I don't know if you are supposed to wait, but I couldn't, I placed the 1st bid. Hope I win!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Doug did it beautifully! IT'S A KILLER EFFECT!

I played with it, but found it impractical for my 'normal' performing conditions. ("standing up--surrounded)

Note above comments::: ANGLES! +++ PERFORMER MUST BE SEATED AT A TABLE!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Don't bother looking on EBay, it's been sold.
Unless, someone else is going to sell another one or you just want to see the item in question.

Jerry
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I had one of these but never performed it. I know this is an old *thread*, but if anyone here still performs this, I have a question. How do you hide the modus operandi? It cannot be of the invisible variety, it must be sturdy. And since it is laying right there in full view on the table and the spectators are staring right down at it, how do you make sure it goes unseen?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-08-20 11:02, Randwill wrote:
I had one of these but never performed it. I know this is an old *thread*, but if anyone here still performs this, I have a question. How do you hide the modus operandi? It cannot be of the invisible variety, it must be sturdy. And since it is laying right there in full view on the table and the spectators are staring right down at it, how do you make sure it goes unseen?

If you read the previous comments, those that have it have never performed it. So I don't believe they can answer your question.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Doug Henning Ring & String (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL