The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Bill Malone: here I go Again, vol 1. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello everybody,

Yesterday my parents in law gave me the first volume of Bill Malone's new dvd-series Here I go Again for christmas. Great present! I watched it carefully and would like to present my thoughts about it.

I wanna start by saying that I absoluteley loved Bill's on the loose series. It's a popular opinion, but I honestly think that these are one of the best dvd sets ever. These series were offcourse very succesful. I was very much hoping that the new set wasnn't released only because the first set was so popular. You see that a lot these days. that's exactly why I didn't buy the series just after they were released. Sooner or later I would have bought them just because I love watching Bill Malone perform. Now I got the first volume for christmass!

I have to admit that my fear was indeed irrational, you can't go wrong with Bill Malone. Overall I liked this dvd a lot. I probably won't perform a lot of effects from the dvd, but I really liked it for a couple of reasons.

- Bill is a phenomenal performer and entertainer. He defines the word 'comedy magical entertainer'. It's great to watch, I would show this dvd to laymen as well (performance section), because of it's entertainment value.
- I really like Bills sense of humor. I think he's hilarious. Just watching him make's you laugh. I also Like the way he's not politically correct, as you see so much these these. It's not that that is a bad thing (on the contrary), it's just nice to see something else.
- Bill is a great magician as well, his technique is outstanding. Watching his sleight of hand and misdirection is soemthing I liked very much (as a magician).

Now for the effects.

Autographed baby gag:
I liked this, I probably will never perform this because I'm not a comedy performer, but I laughed very hard. Bill contributions to this are clever and make for a very funny, but stunning routine in the RIGHT hands. The cover of this dvd set says "this is the perfect opening for any stand up act!" This is absolutely not true, and I don't like this kind of advertising. this is a great opener for a comedy magic act, if you have the skills to pull it off (presentational wise, not technically).

A small card trick:
A card is peeked by a spectator. Then the deck seems to shrink to about half it's size it three fases (fanning the deck). The selection is pulled out and it turns out to be a tiny card, the deck is once again normal size.

I liked this effect. Bill's presentation is what I really liked. It employs a gimmick that is very easy to make and it's in the reach of the average card performer. Bill gives some great tips on how to pressure fan in the explanation section.

Marlo's miracle ace cutting:
If I had bought the dvd myself, this alone would have been worth the money FOR ME. I say for me in capitals because knowlegable card performers will be familair with it (probably). I had seen this once, and liked it very much. I never did any research, but stumbled across it on this dvd. Man, was I happy! After me and my gilrfriend came home from my in-laws I stayed up to 3am practising this effect.
It's really a kick when you get it right. Excellent! makes me smile!

For those who are not familiar with it:
The effect is that you shuffle (faro shuffle)and cut the deck, and very cleanly (without any crimps or breaks) cut to the first three aces. The deck is on the table. You divine the numerical position of the fourth ace and let the spectator count to it. Offcourse you're right. You can cut to the last ace as well, but this is difficult. I liked Bill's performance and he does agreat job explaining it.
Allthough I'm fairly proficient with cards the only card effects I perform when working are AC, Card to wallet and invisible deck. This is something I will definitly experiment with. Stunning!

Jumping changing and vanishing aces:
The effect is that two aces are placed on the bottom and top and two aces in the middle. At first they keep changging places, then there follows a series of color changes and then the cards travel to the pockets.

This is not for me. But as bill says himself, 'movemonkeys' will love this. I'm not one of them, though. The effect isn't quite clear to me, and bill performs this in superspeed mode. Bills presentation and the stunning color changes is what kept me watching. This is heavy sleight of hand, and to be honest, I think it shows.

Shuffling of the spots:
This is an all backs and all faces routine. Bill talks about shuffling of the 'spots' of the cards, and shows that the deck contains only backs. Then suddenly the decks show all faces, before it comes normal (and examinable again). Uses no gimmicks.

Again, I liked Bill's presentation a lot. The effect is not for me for the simple reason that I don't like all back routines. I must say that Bills routine is entertaining and if you like all back routines this can be a worker in walkaround or strolling situations.

Lighting fast triumph:
like allback routines, I'm not very fond of thriumph routines as well. I never cared for them. But......I really liked this routine! Honestly! It's very fast and visual and I really liked it! Perhaps to short or uncomplicated for experienced 'triumphers', but I liked it.

Rub-a-dub-dub / Cups and balls
The title has nothing to do with the card move. It's a C&B routine done with mini cups and presented with a poem. This is definitely not for everybody, but it's nice routine. Packs smaller than the average cups and balls set, which is a big plus. I had the feeling that Bill was very tired or nervous (which seems strange) when he performed this.

There is a bonus effect called Jack in the box, which is a real nice color change of a card on a box. It's a visual quickie, but it looks nice.

Also Bill explains hit trademark cards to mouth, which is very informative. He explains the work because he knows a lot of people are performing it and a lot of these people do it wrong. Bill goes into great detail about it.

Bills tips are handy as well, and you might get something out of that as well.
Overall I think this is a good follow up to the on the loose series and I can recommend this dvd for certain. The effects are nice (though not for everybody), Bill's hilarious as always and the explanations are sound and torough.

Have fun with this dvd!

Simon
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Simon,

If you liked Marlo's Miracle Aces, then check out Steve Bedwell's variation, it is on his A-1 Multimedia video/dvd entitled TAPED! I mean Bill's is fabulous too, I just like Steve's version because you can do it in the hands. Cheers,

Bill
Emiel
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
20 Posts

Profile of Emiel
Hi Simon,

I think you convinced me to order this dvd...

C ya,

Emiel
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Marlo's Miracle Aces can be a magician fooler. I like it.
Very convincing to laymen too. Perform this as a gambling skills,don't
do any fancy move otherwise it turns to an normal 4 aces magic.
stache
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of stache
If you liked this DVD just remember that its only volume one of a three volume set. All three are excellent, my personal favorite effect of all three dvds has to be no look aces which is in the bonus area of dvd two. Check them all out, you won't be disappointed.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's the best price on the internet for this great set:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......cff15c9b
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Bill Malone: here I go Again, vol 1. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL