The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book tests (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Any thoughts on any of the what seems like hundreds of book tests that are out? Every one is advertised as being the end all effect. I would like to buy them all & find out for myself, but I can't.

I have particular interest in Harvey Bergs "final exam".
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Haven't seen Harvey's. I have Yedid's "W.O.W. Book Test 5," which is excellent, as well as Lee Earle's (also very good). For an excellent (and inexpensive) book test you can put together yourself, try Maven's "Autome" from the first volume of his Videomind trilogy. For a completely impromptu (and extremely effective and easy to do) book test that costs you nothing and can be done anywhere there are at least two books, David Hoye's from "The Bold and Subtle miracles of Dr. Faust," available from Magic, Inc for around six bucks.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey Ichazod,

I think Mullica's is a pretty good book test.

Smile Hey...wait a minute...I'm not into book tests! What am I doing in this section?

And why am I wearing these strange clothes?

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanx Scott! & thanx Steve, I forgot about the Mullica test.

p.s. I want my clothes back! Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

If you are referring to the book test mullica does on one of his Impromptu Magic Made Easy videos, that IS the Hoye book test.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I've never seen that video...sorry.

The Mullica book test that Ichazod and I are talking about was shown to us by our friend Jerry Camaro.

Where Jerry got it, I do not know, I believe he said Tom showed it to him.

I would ask, but we lost Jerry back in May. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Lets not forget Docc Hilford’s "Wizard’s Manual" It is a book test and then an added effect, the page actually vanishes from the book and reappears where you desire.

There are many different means and subtleties for accomplishing a book test. Best is to research several and meld the ones that work for you into a routine of several tests.

Tom Cutts
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I also have and highly recommend Osterlind's Seafire routine.
My Lybrary Page
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Can you elaborate on the Osterlind effect(without giving away any secrets of course)?

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the worlds a stage,

And the men & women merely players;

They have their exits

and their entrances,

And one man in his time

plays many parts.
JaquaiGul
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
31 Posts

Profile of JaquaiGul
In my opinion, C.L.Boarde's work on book tests has it all. It is, I believe, Volume 2 of his Mainly Mental works. It is encyclopedic and analytical. It is surely out of print, but someone may be republishing it.
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
At last! A topic so nerdy and obsessive I can really get my teeth into it! Agree about the various BT's mentioned that I know - also agree that I'd like to hear more about exactly what Osterlind's is. However there is IMHO one glaring omission: the totally brilliant Insight, by Keith Fields. I'm not sure how much technical detail we're allowed here, but put it this way: his whole starting point is the classic "once you've got the word, the trick's over" problem. Insight addresses this superbly, allowing you to get numerous words, from different people, and if you time it right, it can seem like you're literally thought-reading as they scan the page! There is some stuff to remember, but again it's so well thought through, there isn't really a problem there if you commit the time.

I'd also like to add that in its own rather different way, Lee Earle's Dream Test too is supreme in fiendishness - YOU DON'T ASK ANYTHING! - and outstandingly routined. Has anyone used his 'Wordless' one with the logos?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Richard Osterlind

SeaFire

EFFECT: The performer asks a spectator to come up on stage. The spectator is asked to inspect a pile of normal best selling books. The performer presents a clear Ziploc bag to the spectator, asking him to grab a handful of slips containing numbers on them. The spectator is asked to keep 3, and to put 2 of them in their pocket, and to keep one in their hand. Using the number on the slip that the spectator is holding, the spectator is asked to select a book from the pile. While the performer's back is turned away from the spectator, he instructs the spectator to pick any one of the remaining two slips and to go to the selected page number in the book corresponding to the slip's number. The performer then asks the spectator to randomly select a word on the page with their finger. Out of the spectator's & audience's view, the performer takes a piece of chalk, and writes something on a chalkboard. The performer now starts to get a mental impression of the page. Naming characters, place names, and dialogue by the characters, you ask the spectator to read aloud the first few lines of the page. The audience hears that you were absolutely correct! But wait, its not over just yet! The spectator has one remaining slip! Low and behold, the performer exposes the chalkboard to show a number written down. The spectator is asked to draw the remaining number from their pocket, to reveal that the number written on the slip matches the one written on the chalkboard!
My Lybrary Page
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Thinking out loud:

I like the free feeling of the selection process.

Wouldn’t that final revelation lead those inclined to retrograde analysis to believe a force was used?

You had me up until then. Is there a canceling factor (maybe size of the numbers) that fell through the cracks of the explaination?

Tom
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I just copied and pasted the effect description from an online catalog. Suffice to say, it seems impossible that a force could have been used.

There are more extensions and alternative handlings/effects with this as well--very strong and very versatile.
My Lybrary Page
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Hey, Icky-baby! Got so carried away frothing about Insight (It's EPIC - I had it out again today!) that I forgot your original point. Harvey B gave us a lecture recently and blew us away with his test. Unfortunately he's such a bad salesman, I've since discovered that he made it sound harder than it is to actually perform. You only need to memorise a few sentences, and these are made easy to do. With that, Mr/Ms spek can open A KNOWN BESTSELLER, at ANY PAGE, and without asking anything, you can give considerable details about how that page begins! It was an agonise for me between that and Insight, but in the end I prefer the latter's greater flexibility and sheer fiendishness! Hope that helps. Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanx Smile
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
May I just give a strong recommendation for a book test that always gets overlooked, but which I feel is vastly under-rated? It’s the Val Andrews Unfaked Book Test, published by Martin Breese. Small mansucript, only a few quid (Davenports once sold it). I think it’s a wonderful book test, and I have used it as part of my stage act and close-up set for years.

Some notable points. You can use any book or books you want, to fit any theme. I use up to 8 best-selling classics from the ’thriler/horror’ genre - all recognizable titles, real books and nothing gaffed about any of them. The joy of this is that if you happen to walk into someone’s house and they have one of these books lying around, you are all set to perform a miracle!

Secondly, there are no ’moves’ or holes in the method. Specs pick numbers at random to choose page, line and word - no forces! They can pick whatever d**n numbers they like. Spec refers to the chosen line and word, and you know what it is! No pumping, fishing, or questions. No anagrams or delays. No switches or outs. You really do KNOW what word they are looking at, and can reveal it how-so-ever you want without questions or fishing.

Thirdly, although it involves some preparation (mental rather than gaffing books) it is not hard, and will last you many years.

May I second the vote for Insight by Keith Fields. A terrific book test, which lets you work with whatever themes you want - colors, names, numbers... whatever. And none of that darned pumping for letters or first letters. Just tell ’em what they’re thinking!

"To get anywhere needs not just initiative but also finishative".
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
just want to say that I agree with Mr. Rowland, this is a good hint from him... listen to the guy he know’s his job ...

and by the way welcome to you (all of you)

"mentalism is not boring...

it’s the mentalist!!!"

K
Randy Charach
View Profile
New user
Randy Charach
6 Posts

Profile of Randy Charach
THE best book test in my opinion, is called, The Mother of all Book Test (MOAB) by Ted Karmilovich. I am sure he wouldn't mind you writing him with questions about the book and where you can buy it, his email address is:paranormal@earthlink.net

It is rather pricey ($350?)most of the pro Mentalists use this one, including myself, it's simply brilliant.

Of course Larry Becker's Flashback books are great too. Actually I combine FB and MOAB in my show for a killer routine.

Sorry, I can't agree that Osterlind's routine is worthwhile. The "Key" is very good, but still not as direct as MOAB and even FB. Yes, Max Maven's routine in his video is excellent.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanx for all the input! I have been doing a test combining the Hoy test & the Maven one.

I also have a copy of the Duscheck test on the way, any thoughts on that one?

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the worlds a stage,

And the men & women merely players;

They have their exits

and their entrances,

And one man in his time

plays many parts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book tests (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL