The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
This update is somewhat belated but among the New tv-shows is a series called "Timeless." It somewhat reminds me of the 1960s TV series Time Tunnel. The difference, though, and its advantage is that in "Timeless" they can control where they travel, in sharp contrast to Time Tunnel where Doug and Tony were at the mercy of time. Not to be a nitpicker about that 1960 series but one thing that sort of irked me about it was when the two men got their clothes soiled such as in a coal mine where they got dusty and dirty and then in the final scene they tumble through the time warp to a different time-era. Although the travel took only an instant, their clothes are seen to be immaculately clean! Unless there is something about time travel that has a "restorative" effect. Maybe somebody can explain.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I actually liked it when Christopher Reeve bought a period suit to go back in time, then got constantly laughed at for being ten years or so out of date.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
This update is somewhat belated but among the New tv-shows is a series called "Timeless." It somewhat reminds me of the 1960s TV series Time Tunnel. The difference, though, and its advantage is that in "Timeless" they can control where they travel, in sharp contrast to Time Tunnel where Doug and Tony were at the mercy of time. Not to be a nitpicker about that 1960 series but one thing that sort of irked me about it was when the two men got their clothes soiled such as in a coal mine where they got dusty and dirty and then in the final scene they tumble through the time warp to a different time-era. Although the travel took only an instant, their clothes are seen to be immaculately clean! Unless there is something about time travel that has a "restorative" effect. Maybe somebody can explain.

I remember that show, it got even worse. In at least one story, they were wearing period clothing and, as they time effect grabbed them, they were changed into the regular clothes before disappearing.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2002, Greg Arce wrote:
The Hawking's idea presupposes that this time line has already repeated itself. What if we are in the first time line ever... then the future has not happened so no one could have traveled back from there.

I believe there is a book called Teahouse of the August Moon... it was written by the same guy that did Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It has a funny premise that a guy is doing outstanding magic by using time travel.

At one point he vanishes a red handkerchief then breaks a vase that was an ancient one and inside the vase was the handkerchief. It's later explained that he vanishes the handkerchief then travels back in time when that vase was being made and puts it in there, so it can be found by him in the future. Sort of puts a crimp in Max Malini's career.

Now as for me: I think if I could do both I would, but if I only had one choice I would go to the future and see the marvels that are happening then... I'm sure they would look as magical to me as a caveman appearing now and seeing me view small people talking in a lighted box aka the TV.

"Teahouse of the August Moon" is a serious story made in the 60's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0595418/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm sorry, it's also apparently the title of a "comedy/drama" made in 1956 with Marlon Brando.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049830/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

The story you're thinking of, which was in fact written by Douglas Adams as part of his "Dirk Gently" series (although the actual sequence was from the "Dr. Who" episode "Shada" in which a distinguished professor turns out to be a retired Time Lord whose apartment is actually his TARDIS) is called "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Time and Again - the TV series
or "He's Back" if you like movies in German

Tuesday is the season finale of DC's Legends of Tomorrow

I liked the time machine as method for a magic trick part of Douglas Adams' story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Time and Again, is that the one where the guy walks into a burned out pub next door and comes out in the 1940's?

I haven't watched Legends of Tomorrow. I'm a bad fan.

"Time After Time," Jack the Ripper steals H.G. Welles time machine and Welles has to go chasing after him when the machine auto-returns. This is supposed to be a series in the fall.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
... "Time After Time," Jack the Ripper steals H.G. Welles time machine and Welles has to go chasing after him when the machine auto-returns. This is supposed to be a series in the fall.

You're right - and the first few episodes have been shown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_After_Time_(TV_series)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
... "Time After Time," Jack the Ripper steals H.G. Welles time machine and Welles has to go chasing after him when the machine auto-returns. This is supposed to be a series in the fall.

You're right - and the first few episodes have been shown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_After_Time_(TV_series)

Wow, I AM out of the loop! Apparently it's been on and cancelled and I never watched it! However, with five episodes, at least the "complete box set" won't be very expensive.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Time Travel ... whilst we are talking about films ...
Somewhere In Time - Christopher Reeve (beautiful music)
The New Twilight Zone Season One - A Message from Charity (heart-warming)
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
As this is beyond me I do have one observation or comment. If one could travel back in time, I would have to believe that is all they could do. By that I mean. They would not be able to interact with their "time travel environment" and possibly not even be really present. I believe they could only experience (possibly observe) what happened in the past.

This from someone who is just enjoying pondering this. (Last sentence begins and ends with "this" ... sort of like time travel.) Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

A panopticon view? ...how close "now"?
Scary
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The way I see it,Kevin Williamson's tv series failed after just five episodes because the Jack the Ripper gimmick fizzled out. Granted,the Ripper gimmick was effective as an attention-getter but to stretch it out for the entire series made it too protracted. Seen in that light and in comparison, the movie version worked much better.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Classic Time Travel Paradox: you have a time machine, and you use it to travel back in time in order to meet your great-grandfather when he was a young man and not yet even a father. You do so, but things go catastrophically awry; because of your presence, history is changed and rewritten, such that you inadvertently end up being the cause of the sudden death (right then, right there) of your young (and then still childless) great-grandfather.

You just killed your great-grandfather, prior to him siring your grandfather. No grandfather, no father, no you. You've just erased your own birth from history. You were never born. You do not exist. You never did.

So here's the paradox: if you do not exist -- if you were never born -- then who killed your great-grandfather?

(More to the point, perhaps: how might this line of thinking be turned into patter for a clever card or coin trick?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Ray Bradbury explored this concept in a short story. I remember it from his Golden Apples Of The Sun short story collection. About a man who, during his trip back to the dinosaur age, accidentally steps on a butterfly. And when he returns to his own time, people are different, their clothes are different, and even the language being spoken is radically different.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, karnak wrote:
Classic Time Travel Paradox: ...

(More to the point, perhaps: how might this line of thinking be turned into patter for a clever card or coin trick?)

There could be some inspiring fiction in the future along your personal time line including Palimpsest by Charles Stross and Heinlein's classic All You Zombies.

The presupposition that the time/place you leave is a place you can return to is... not so useful in stories beyond wishful thinking.

Try William Gibson's "The Peripheral", Bruce Sterling's "Mozart in Mirrorshades", Ray Bradbury's "Sound of Thunder" for options.

or Greg Egan's story "Quarantine" for other ideas. Smile

http://martzin.dreamwidth.org/14945.html

Enjoy exploring - change blindness could be your friend in tricks using the presentation of "but in some universe... like this one..."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Yesteryear," a Star Trek animated story where Spock discovers that HE was the mysterious "cousin" who saved him during a manhood trial.

"The Men Who Murdered Mohammad" (sp) an angry genius builds a time machine to go back and kill his cheating wife's grandparents, keeping her from being born. Nothing he does seems to effect the present and he comes, too late, to a realization about time and reality that I won't spoil for you.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, arthur stead wrote:
Ray Bradbury explored this concept in a short story. I remember it from his Golden Apples Of The Sun short story collection. About a man who, during his trip back to the dinosaur age, accidentally steps on a butterfly. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

:)
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I LOVE "The Men Who Murdered Mohammed"! In college (decades ago), for a screenwriting class as an exercise I adapted it from its original short-story format into a film/TV script.

Would have made a great "Twilight Zone" episode....
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, karnak wrote:
I LOVE "The Men Who Murdered Mohammed"!

I wouldn't say that too loudly nowadays!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Ellison's "Shatterday" takes the notion more personally Smile
On the physics side of storytelling for time travel - it's been other universes pretty much since Crichton's book "Timeline" through Clines's "The Fold".
The notion of attempting to exploit information in a "this looks like a century ago" universe is also being explored in fiction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL