The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 03:37, Mr. Ree wrote:
My personal opinions offered below, don’t shoot.

Weak part IV:
As mentioned above the “thirteen” deck is not cut or shuffled and it looks weak.

Mr. Ree:

Since the effect is that the lucky 13th card is a prediction, i.e., a certain card at a named position in the deck, it would make no sense to cut or shuffle the deck.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 08:31, Steve Hook wrote:

Mr. Ree:

Since the effect is that the lucky 13th card is a prediction, i.e., a certain card at a named position in the deck, it would make no sense to cut or shuffle the deck.

I agree that this is not the weakest part of Thirte3n.

I also agree that if the idea is to pull out a non-mixed
deck and just pull out the 13th card then I should not
have mention part IV of my post.

If this is the effect we are going for then just use two
decks, One red, one blue. Put the 13th card down in deck
2 as the card you will force from deck 1.

Pull out both decks in full view.
Force a card from deck 1 using your favorite method,
or even a Popeye deck or other gaffed force deck if you are like me and don’t
have a natural looking force yet.

Have spec count down 13 cards in the 2nd deck that has been visible the entire time
and show the card. This and all of it’s variations cost around $8 and looks stronger
and saves you 23 bucks.

But back to your post: “it would make no sense to cut or shuffle the deck”

For me if 13 is really my “lucky” number as a magician.
The deck should be able to be cut or mixed and the 13th card down
will still be the card that the spec picked.

If you have the skills you could then, after showing the prediction,
put the card back in the deck, cut, shuffle or whatever, count down
13 cards and show the card had "returned" the that magic 13th position.

I am trying various methods to see which version of a "13
type effect" works the best for me. I almost never do purchased effect
exactly the way it is “sold”.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This effect is a mentalism effect, not a magic effect. Therefore the cards would not be shuffled prior to counting down to 13 since this deck has admittedly been arranged.

If you want it to be a magic effect and no matter how much the deck is shuffled or cut the card at the thirteenth position matches the card chosen from the other deck, then that's a different effect and method entirely.

Frankly, I think the mentalism angle is much cleaner. It's also stronger as the deck is simply uncased and the card is counted to with no funny moves or shuffles or cuts.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Steve Hook
Cameron Francis

Thanks, understood.

Although I do mentalism effects, two in my 35 minute show,
as you can see from my post I don’t quite think like one, yet.
I started changing this effect, maybe in error, into something
more like magic and less like mentalism.

Interesting, as I moved toward this change almost automatically.

I'll have to give these type of effects more careful though before trying to
change them.

Thanks,
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
norman
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of norman
AS A MAGIC EFFECT. I think that sometimes it is ideal for the spectator to believe he or she has made the MAGIC happen (as with the card trick OUT OF THIS WORLD). I think this trick is ideal for this purpose. I would like to refer to my previus comments on 22nd April. It could be suggested that 13 could possibly be his/her LUCKY NUMBER before even introducing the cards. Having the spec cutting BOTH SETS of cards SEVERAL TIMES makes the trick very strong and I believe adds to the overall effect. How on earth could that happen, you must be 'A MAGICIAN', when both the cards match.
Norman. (Dorset England)
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Re Mr. Ree's reservations about spreading the deck on your close-up pad and then promptly closing the spread and proceeding, I don't think there is any danger at all of the spectators seeing anything. You are talking all the time, the cards are in spread position for 3 or 4 seconds - they will see nothing. I've performed this very many times, with no problems at all. Two decks in my opinion is a must. Adds a lot to the overall deception. And given the nature of the gaff, the price is quite fair.

Alan
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I really do enjoy this effect, and will begin test driving it in my shows. I like the gaff, and it saves me from carrying another (i currentlycarry 2 already) deck. I find it to be a fun premise (for laypeople) and I'm sure it will get reactions. Most of this wow factor from this effect will work from your build up. Take the invisible deck for example.

If you whip out an invisible deck and tell the spectator 'before the show I reversed one card- name any card and it will be reversed'. Then you show the card they named is reversed-. Impressive, but when you build up to the climax, it is what makes it more magical for the laypeople. Take this one slow, and don't rush to the ending.

For those who use a false shuffle (see Bill Malone's Sam The Bellhop routine) this is perfect way to apparantly shuffle the cards while retaining them in the same order. A casual spread is also a great idea. You are unable to do a deck switch because of the stickers, so it is natural to introduce the deck as "unnormal".

I find that sometimes us magicians try to "foolproof" the effect for every posible situation. Granted, it may be stornger, but the layperson doesn't kno what to expect and in their eyes, it's fair. I don't go into shows (except comedy clubs) where everyone is a heckler or skeptic, so this seems to work. Slow this trick down, and realy build up the fainress of it (even if it is not as fair as other things we have experienced in magic) and I think you will get great results. I will let everyone know how it goes this weekend.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Nicholas Paul
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Paul
I performed this effect for over 11 years before I put it on the market. I never once had a single lay person say Hey, it'sonly one deck." You guys are all over-thinking it. If you just act sincerely, you won't need two decks, or switches, or severe misdirection, or pipes in jackets, or even sleeves. Just for a moment, stop thinking like magicians. Think about what a lay person sees when he or shee sees the effect.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Bought this and love it!

A very very strong version of the ACAAN........I would have to say one of the strongest direct mentalism effects this year!

Well done Mr Paul and you are so right stop thinking like Magicians......the lay people who have seen me do this are FRIED!

Will be working it hard tonight at my weekly restaurant!!!

Ash
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
Mr. Paul has come up with a beautifully simple and powerful effect. Great thinking. Wonderful magic. One of my favorite buys this year--or any year for that matter.
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I had the pleasure of hanging with Nicolas Paul last night after I lectured for his club. He showed me "Thirteen" and I loved it.

My recommendation is to get this effect, practice it and work on your routine. Then perform it for your friends and family.......then ask they how they think you did it. You don't have to tip any methods, just ask how they THINK you did it. See how many people say anything about 1 deck or something like that.

My guess is that you will realize that you are over-thinking things here on this thread and it is a great "fooler."

David Corsaro
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Just watched the demo.

What a silly effect.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Silly ???? Thirteen is one of CLEVER mental effect. I like both the method and the gimmick. Highly recommended.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
I got this yesterday and love it!..I have only tried it on Family and friends and as yet no-one has even got close to the method.
My preferred routine is taken from the bonus effects, where I fan the cards face-out to show them mixed, cut the deck a few times, spread them face-down between my hands and let them choose any card, no force. Then as original handling...simple and direct. Well put together effect, well made gimmick, well worth the investment.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Thirteen is a nice clever effect that plays well. The effect resets automatically. However I would avoid repeating the effect for the same audience.

IMHO, the gimmick has been made slightly complicated thus adding to the cost of the trick. With a little imagination it is not difficult to make the gimmick simple and more deceptive.

I also feel that a better & stronger patter will help greatly enhance the effect. Overall Thirteen a very good mental effect and will play well for the novice as well as for the seasoned magician/ mentalist.

I have confined my opinion within the set boundaries of the marketed effect & the supplied prop.

Just my personal opinion. Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
This card is one of my best buy in 2008. Very clever method........
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
The demo seems like two decks but in the write up on the site it states ONLY on deck used.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Yes only one deck is used, very clever method
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Oh I get it. Smile

j
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Thirteen to me looks like a dynamite trick. I figured it out because I have a trick called "Vantage Point" from Colombini that uses the same method although uses totally different handling. Does that mean laymen will figure it out? I don't think so.
I also figured out "Pavel's walking knot" the first time I saw it. Does that mean laymen will figure it out? I don't think so as this trick is usually done before large audiences. It certainly wouldn't be if it was so easy to figure out.
Many magicians forget that 1. Most lay people don't have a clue when it comes to figuring out tricks if they are done well. and 2. Most lay people including myself first and foremost want to be entertained by magic. If you can do that, the simplest tricks can be effective even if "magicians" can easily figure them out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL