The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of good source materials for tricks and stunts using animal and man traps. I really have no idea of what I actually want to do with them right now, just a real gut feeling that something using them would suit my act perfectly. And would like to start researching the various possibilities that can be achieved with them.

Thanks all

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hi,I use a Bear Trap ala hand in trap instead of the usual gin trap. Mike Diamond also uses this idea in his cabaret act. To my knowledge no one else in the UK is making a feature of this which surprises me as the stunt is so well recieved. In the past Fox Traps which are the same type as the Gins but four times larger were used to put the forearm in but I have recieved nasty pinches from these. Ken. Smile Smile
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Kondini

Without asking you to expose anything in this public forum. I wonder if you do anything to weaken the force of the trap, or to otherwise affect the intended force, pressure, speed, etc.?

I am not really looking to do the hand in trap trick, rather I would like to come up with something of my own. However using a trap that it would be safe to shut on my hand, forearm etc would give me a margin of safety which I could well appreciate.

Thanks again

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes, if you have a Gin then the following will make sense, if not, then nothing will be exposed here.
The spring re-acts in reverse, so to de activate the force tighten the spring metal (Where the tight bend is at the end of the spring) To do this is easy, just belt it with a big hammer, now test the trap again to see that enough tension has been removed, if not, belt it again etc etc, The same principal is applied to a Bear trap only this trap has a double spring, so just belt the pair of them until safe to use.Hope this is of some help to you, regards Ken.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Penn & Teller had an incredible routine, "King of Animal Traps." The tension was unbelievable. Penn just yammers on in his usual charming way as Teller fills the stage with animal traps of all sizes, setting them and baiting them with sandwiches and snacks. As Penn keeps talking, the food begins to interest Teller. He grabs a few snacks from the smaller traps, setting them off but not getting caught. For a climax, he hangs upside down from a trapeze, swinging over a bear trap the size of a sofa, grabbing a sandwich and setting the monster off. It leaps into the air as the spring fires but it missed him. I just about lost it when I saw this, I was covered in sweat. About two minutes later, I went over what I had seen in my mind's eye, and understood how it worked, but nothing can ever diminish my admiration for this fantastic piece.

Yours,

Paul
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I've never known anyone to have to "doctor" their animal traps for these stunts. I've done it with the smaller traps commonly used for the feat as well as the slightly larger model that has two springs. (Of course, a legitamate bear trap would be different.)

For something clever I did when I was young and stupid, but have only seen one other person do, you can always put your face in the trap.

Just be careful taking it out.

Oh, the memories.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

Thanks for all your help. I am now awaiting delivery of 7 of the 'correct' traps. Ain't eBay great!

When I have them and worked out what I want to do with them I will let you all know. I don't really see myself just sticking my hand in, I love what Penn and Teller did with theirs, and while I would never copy a routine I am inspired by the imagination and thought they showed. Hopefully I can create something just as smart!

Thanks again

Straitjacket guy

My Website
Add me on facebook
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Just a reminder to everyone, I have seen how traps work and they can easily take off an appendage (the bigger the size, the bigger the appendage) so be very careful. I don't want to see anyone hurt.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I use the Oneida-Victor 1-1/2 (single spring) and end with a 'macho' escape bit.

If you keep your hand still after the jaws close (not allowing them to close any tighter) it is possible to quickly JERK the hand free in one fluid motion without injury (lightly holding the spring with the other hand to stabilize the trap, while obviously not compressing the spring). Shawn Dion and I are the only two performers I know of who do this 'finish.'

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
You can gaff the trap by annealing the spring, to the point where there is very little tension.
Howie Diddit
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
Can't remember the precise name of the trap, but bought it 'over the counter' in a hardware store just south of Salt Lake City... small leg type... and I just 'shoved my hand into it'... 'trick' was to place my hand in so that the palm of it was in parallel to the sides of the 'jaws' so that the most surface area came into contact... it DID hurt, but not unbearably (not an intended pun)... and it was FAST, so not too prolonged pain... and I usually asked volunteers to remove it, but rarely could they get a good enough grip on it when I held my arm out towards them... however, THAT, although adding considerably TO THE EFFECT, also added considerably TO THE PAIN,for in struggling to release my hand they typically caused me a lot more pain !!!

I could usually (not always) snap a pencil in half with the trap, first, to establish that it WAS 'real', and that the jaws DID close with considerable force...
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
For all the begginers (and others) reading this thread anew...simply get the Abbott's Trap...it's real, not gimmicked...it works (use a Pretzel Stick for better effect than a pencil). It costs just $25, you'll get the instructions, so that no body has to give anything away in an open forum.

I use three of them.

Keep one loaded around the house...fun when somebody just drops in and you 'have an accident'. Smile Better than a hand buzzer.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Try putting one under the toilet seat!
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Although dangerous and possibly stupid in the bad way, a game of dodge ball but with animal traps that are already set to go?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Ormand McGill's book (Abbott's) has a three trap routine; no gaffing, but the rat trap hurts.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Rat traps usually have two springs. Just take one of them off its bar, and you've lessened the strength by half. It'll still hurt some.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 17:54, ringmaster wrote:
Ormand McGill's book (Abbott's) has a three trap routine; no gaffing, but the rat trap hurts.
just practise a lot practise is the key I do the pain proof tongue act.the trap on my tongue at the start that hurts but I practise 5 to 6 times I day just snapping it on my tongue and now I don't feel it at all.
Mark Tripp
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Mark Tripp
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 18:23, Harley Newman wrote:
Rat traps usually have two springs. Just take one of them off its bar, and you've lessened the strength by half. It'll still hurt some.

I will point out that this method was my marketed effect from many many years ago called "Tripp's Trap"

Caused a HUGE storm from people who thought the premise and the concept was insane.

I closed my comedy show with it for years.

There is a bir more to it, as there is a way to put your hand in there as well.

If my DVD is ever released, it is all on there.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, rat trap is good. I've been doing one for years, as part of my clown show (that I do about once a year, these days). It's part on an ongoing battle between me, suspenders, and a fish.

I did leg-hold traps for a year or so, about 20 years ago. I never did find the right scripting hook, to make them fit into my regular show. Come to think of it, I've never seen a presentation that makes sense, except as a "lookit me doing a trick" approach. I would like to see a good routine for that.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 16:28, Harley Newman wrote:
I've never seen a presentation that makes sense, except as a "lookit me doing a trick" approach. I would like to see a good routine for that.

Challenge accepted. I'll get working on it.

;^)
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL