The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Hands up faces out Elmsley Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
815 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Jonathan, the booklet on The Last Dream is not available on my website; it has been out of print for years.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26722 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
After working out how to do that count as display, did you change the way you handle cards in general?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
815 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
After working out how to do that count as display, did you change the way you handle cards in general?

Not sure I understand the question. That approach doesn’t really work for most card magic, which generally involves a full deck.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2545 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Hi Jonathan,

With reference to Joe Riding. The initial release used the Elmsley Count (in both Joe's and Ken Brooke's written instruction) - which for cabaret, meant counting the cards parallel to the floor; and to the side of the body. This looked awkward, as well as creating a visibility issue for those spectators sitting to the other side of your body - i.e. with the cards being counted on your right side, the only folk to see them clearly would be those on your right, and to the centre of the audience.

The count that Joe came up with, was a more natural count for stage work. It wasn't an Elmsley Count as such - it was more of a switch (with the assistance of a finger-held break). Joe started using this around 1995; and explained it when he was at 4 F's in 2000.

Regards,

Barry
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26722 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi Barry,
I'd like to know more about what Joe Riding did.
I'd like to be mindful of what others have done before.
Is there some material on his count work in "print/video" which I could obtain through our open market?
Private correspondence?
Thanks in advance,
JonT

PS folks know how tough it is to relearn habitual/common actions. Imagine working on two such candidate count actions... one looks like a run of cards right out of "erdnase", thumbing the cards singly -while the other more display oriented approach has that upside down (bottom dealing) action.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
815 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I found that using larger, thicker cards — like jumbos — made it relatively easy to retrain my hands and brain to do Elmsley counts in the raised position. The only pitfall was watching what was happening on the back of the packet, which gave an odd, confusing perspective. So I relearned the counts in front of a mirror, paying attention to the reflection and not the back of the packet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Hands up faces out Elmsley Count (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL