The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Why are there so few female magicians? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
621 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2018, David_MacFarlane wrote:
Maybe. I think there's also something to the idea that men feel a need to be entertaining to attract women's attention. A guy can practice an Ambitious Card routine and get some attention from girls... A girl can get the same attention from guys by smiling.

Adult men need to get over the notion that men can gain favor from women by doing magic. Not only is it not the case for those past adolescence, it's kind of sad. See last night's SNL sketch. https://youtu.be/yAH9_HUACQ8

Fun fact: At Magic University at the Magic Castle, the students who start Magic 1 are about half women. But there are barely any who finish the courses. Perhaps the men here would like to speculate about how the innate differences between men and women are to blame for this odd and unavoidable outcome.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
Now you're being mean. I get quite a bit of attention from women by doing magic.

I think there are two distinct things going on... magic isn't as attractive to women as it is to some men* and the magic community isn't attractive / welcoming to women.

Thoughts?

*I think magic has particular attraction to people who like the little power kick off I know a secret that you don't. That may not put the finest point on it... But there is something to the joke, "Why did I go into magic? I wasn't cool enough for Dungeons and Dragons."
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
621 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Misogynistic, paternalistic, sexist, and dismissive magic community, lagging behind all other arts. Lack of female magician role models. Historical relegation of women to assistant status as sex objects. The vast majority of tricks, costumes, methods all designed for men's wardrobes, bodies and personalities. Women conceived of as nothing more than a "novelty act" (I actually had a producer tell me he wouldn't hire two women for a show just as he wouldn't hire two jugglers or two ventriloquists for a show), and correlating lack of work opportunities. Lack of community for women in magic. Magic as a whole is presented to the public as a masculine "power" pursuit.

Here in this very forum there are threads where male magicians talk about female magicians first and foremost about their bodies and their attractiveness rather than their magic. E.g.:

Quote:
I just love to watch female magicians.

Here's the beautiful, sexy and extremely talented Katalin

Quote:
My gosh! She is one of the prettiest girls I have ever seen! I have a problem: I can't keep my eyes off her legs! Major distraction! Yeah, this is another girl (like Alana) that teases and mesmermizes the audience with that "look". The eye contact. The little smile. You KNOW she's GOTCHA! Incredible.

Quote:
That's why I think female magicians have better misdirection than guy magicians. They have more "tools" at their disposal.

Quote:
She is so .damn BEAUTIFUL! My gosh...I can't stop watching her! She is...exotic. Same way Jolene Blalock or Jeri Ryan are exotic. Man, she could go places...

Quote:
I would like to date a female magician.

Quote:
When Katalin comes out on the stage and smiles, believe me, no one is thinking TALENT at that point. Not with a look like that.

Quote:
What most women who want to do stand-up magic have to do is, learn how to be a woman. They use to have schools to train woman to walk, move, stand up straight, etc. I think they called it charm school.

They need to use their sex appeal in a good subdued manner. Remember you have to appeal to women as well as men, and children. Having sex appeal without being sexy is very sexy.

Quote:
That architecture can be very distracting! Good misdirection! I really would like to study those artistic lines! In much closer detail...

Very disappointing.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Misogynistic, paternalistic, sexist, and dismissive magic community, lagging behind all other arts. Lack of female magician role models. Historical relegation of women to assistant status as sex objects. The vast majority of tricks, costumes, methods all designed for men's wardrobes, bodies and personalities. Women conceived of as nothing more than a "novelty act" (I actually had a producer tell me he wouldn't hire two women for a show just as he wouldn't hire two jugglers or two ventriloquists for a show), and correlating lack of work opportunities. Lack of community for women in magic. Magic as a whole is presented to the public as a masculine "power" pursuit.

Here in this very forum there are threads where male magicians talk about female magicians first and foremost about their bodies and their attractiveness rather than their magic. E.g.:

Quote:
I just love to watch female magicians.

Here's the beautiful, sexy and extremely talented Katalin

Quote:
My gosh! She is one of the prettiest girls I have ever seen! I have a problem: I can't keep my eyes off her legs! Major distraction! Yeah, this is another girl (like Alana) that teases and mesmermizes the audience with that "look". The eye contact. The little smile. You KNOW she's GOTCHA! Incredible.

Quote:
That's why I think female magicians have better misdirection than guy magicians. They have more "tools" at their disposal.

Quote:
She is so .damn BEAUTIFUL! My gosh...I can't stop watching her! She is...exotic. Same way Jolene Blalock or Jeri Ryan are exotic. Man, she could go places...

Quote:
I would like to date a female magician.

Quote:
When Katalin comes out on the stage and smiles, believe me, no one is thinking TALENT at that point. Not with a look like that.

Quote:
What most women who want to do stand-up magic have to do is, learn how to be a woman. They use to have schools to train woman to walk, move, stand up straight, etc. I think they called it charm school.

They need to use their sex appeal in a good subdued manner. Remember you have to appeal to women as well as men, and children. Having sex appeal without being sexy is very sexy.

Quote:
That architecture can be very distracting! Good misdirection! I really would like to study those artistic lines! In much closer detail...

Very disappointing.

:-(((
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Why are there so few female magicians? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL