The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 3510 by Luke Jermay review request (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JustinClark
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of JustinClark
Hello to all. I have looked around for a review of this book but have yet to find one. Perhaps Im looking under the wrong stones? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
Justin
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Great book...the editing is horrendous...

Nathan
JustinClark
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of JustinClark
So is it safe to say that if I like Lukes other stuff in general and it sounds like I would like it then its a go?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes!
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah it's great, but some is hard to read with all the errors...& get ahold of penguin for the supplements..

Nathan
Legionofmany
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Legionofmany
Personally I think it's Luke's most mature work to date, plenty of information to digest over time and something you can dip in and out of which sets the mind racing.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yes...don't let the awful editing hold you back...I love the book!

Nathan
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Would also like a more detailed review - particularly in relation to the touching on hoy bit.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Luke significantly expands on Touching on Hoy. Great thoughts. One of the best bits in the book!

And, yes, the editing is just awful. The worst I have seen in any book, magic or otherwise.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Just to make everyone aware there is a planned second version of the book which I hope will right the editing f*** ups that annoy me as much as everyone else.

L.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I very much enjoyed the book - veyr much - even with the editing goofs.... prefer it better edited... but the thinking is great.

dave
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Luke,
Any idea how long we are looking at before the "second version" that corrects the "**** ups" is available?
Cheers,
-- Topher
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
I ordered it from penguinmagic a while ago, just about 30 minutes before they put a promo selling it for 25$...

The book can be divided in two parts, which would be essays, and effects. However the essays interested me much more than the effects.

Luke talks about how he create a presentation to hook an audience, he talks about the casual performances (on the spot) and give some ideas, at some point in the book he talks about an effect that he is going to teach later, but I read it about twice and never found it... Oddly enough.

The book has many bizzare effects, I really liked the effect playing upon life and death with candles, I'm too lazy to walk upstair and see what the name of the effect is. It's so simple and good, you can present this in so many ways.

There is also a whole chapter on Touching on Hoy, I already knew that routine, but the advancements he mades and the contributions from others made it so easy to use, there is also a method which works with no psychological forces, or method that ''can'' fail (I don't say this because I hate those methods, but it terms of advancements.) He has different presentation including a way to make the spectators has mindreader which I really liked, it deals with time and I could see this going in a watch routine.

I'm not very aware of the spelling mistakes because I'm natively french, thus said probably this phrase has dozen of spelling mistakes...

There is something that put me down a little bit about the book, it's the missing pages that Penguin ommited to add, I was reading, in around page 80-ish, and then the subject completly changed and I wondered if I was lunatic or somewhere else... It's only about a month later that I realised that on Penguin Forums there was a sticky with the missing content, I would have hoped that Penguin had sent an E-Mail to the person who brought it.

The book is very good all in all, like most people say it's Luke most mature work.
I only retained two good effects from the book, but just that is worth the price of the book alone, I also like the cover of the book, it reminds me of Derren Brown Absolute Magic.

I own much of Luke material but his expensive manuscripts (the ones going over 150$) I enjoyed to read through the essays and the effects, There is also a ''foreword'' by Banachek at the beggining of the book which I liked very much.

All in all, it won't be a modern classic, but it's refreshing and enjoyable to read this book.

I give a 8.5/10.

Good work Luke!
~Max
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
I ve not finish reading it yet but the invisible deck presentation it s great.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
You know, I noticed the proof reading errors when I came across them and to be honest, it didn't bug me.

Here is my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECrzcxPkoQM
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I've read and re-read this book. Great material, but if poor editing is something that bothers you, you will be bothered quite a bit. If you are dyslexic, it won't bother you at all.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Forgetabout the editing. it's a good book.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
It's available on Penguin now for $14.95 so that seems to be a no-brainer!
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Penguin must have their beady little feathered eye on this thread then.

Yeah totally worth it. Fantastic book.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
pjarnold
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of pjarnold
It has been rotating in and out of Penguin's blizzard since before Christmas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 3510 by Luke Jermay review request (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL