The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anyone Familiar with Jermay's Building Blocks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I see that Luke Jermay offers a handling of Out of This World, in his Building Blocks book. Was just curious what opinions are of the strength of this handling, if you have the book. Thanks in advance.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
It's a psychological handling... and I don't mean the classic method with a bit of pseudo-psychology patter thrown in, it's a method that uses a genuine and very clever psychological forcing procedure.

Think along the lines of Derren's Verbal (& Non-verbal) Force's and you are almost there. I find it's better used with a third of the pack and the rest is done in the 'classic' way.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
This effect was hyped up and a lot of people seemed to like it once upon a time.

I was one of those who didn't particularly care for it. If you have to see the card anyway, any of a dozen in the hands OOTW versions would work just fine. I personally use an in the hands handling of the Harris AoA "Galaxy" version. I honestly can't see a difference to a non-magician spectator except for the "move" at the end. So, a lot of work and less-than-sure results to save an easy move? Not the best return on investment IMHO.

With that being said, the ideas espoused in the trick (a_____ing) is a good tool to be familiar with, I just don't think hanging an entire effect on it was for me.

L
Esjay Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
Halls of residence
267 Posts

Profile of Esjay Dee
I agree (^). Although the book (I love it) has several good routines the true value to me were the building block principles.

steve
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
You can buy my copy.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
As I point out in the book the approach to Out f This World is more a creative stretch and challenge. If the money is on the performance of that effect I would personally use another method. However for our own challenge and reward I still play with it from time to time.

L.
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Lamystique

I will buy your copy-

How much would you be willing to part with it for?

Investing

Scar
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I personally love Building Blocks. The Out of This World routine is indeed a stretch, but as has already been mentioned, the true value is the Building Blocks technique itself. That and the Burst Bubble suggestion have made this book one of my personal favorites.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
The book serves as a good 'grounding' for suggestion in mentalism and has a few routines that I still really like in it. I recently saw a hypnosis show here in Vegas using "Kat's Kradle" in his show and it reminded me of how much I liked the effect.

To me my more mature and reflective work appears in my limited edition works, Genii articles and in 3510.

I really enjoy writing the limited editions as there is no need to make them commercial friendly and it allows me to really delve into some areas that a standard release might now suit. Equally I enjoy writing the Genii articles as it is reflective of my lighter side with mentalism.

I am pleased you all enjoyed the book.

I realized today that I have now written a total of 34 books! All that without the use of grammar or the ability to spell. Pretty impressive. Smile

L
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Thanks for chiming in Luke. Pleasure to have you on this thread.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Building Blocks is an excellent book that contains a wide range of effects from mentalism to bizarre magic. His in-depth explanations of suggestion techniques is also useful.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Anyone Familiar with Jermay's Building Blocks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL